NHL'94 Forums

The NHL '94 experiment

• 2 weeks later...

lol seems like a great reason to join

I think a great idea would be to have a bonus playoffs session after this season's playoffs are over taking the top 4 teams in each div (SNES and GENS A and ;) and put them in a playoff ranked by seeding pooled against each other. The home games could be played on whatever the home(ie they qualified on it) console is for the home player. Of course people in multiple leagues would have to pick which team they would get. I think this could be spicy

• 1 year later...

Two points that specifically stick out to me:
#12. Genesis players have faces: Snes players have no emotion cause they have no f**king faces. Stupid. 1 point for Genesis.

That statement alone gave me tears. Laughing so hard.

And the last, YuengLing Black and Tan, actually have a 12-pack in my fridge now. Good choice wise old one.

---- In snes, u can EXIT the game in the Start menu! + u can select ur team so u dont have to restart all the system to give the player 2 the home-ice.

#6. Genesis has highlights from other games: kick ass feature, I love watching these. Even though it's a novelty thing, it still rules. 1 point for Genesis.
LIES, if ur waiting between periods, u got highlights in SNES to.

#2. Genesis version has better a siren to signify a goal: How was this left out? Someone really dropped the ball for the Snes version. 1 point for Genesis.
LIES, the Znes emulator lags! in the real version, u can hear this annoying sound WHEEERROOOOOOOO just like in the gens version

Yup...but gens still win laugh.gif

I've only played SNES a few times (due to the fact I don't own that version yet), I totally forgot about the hits. Haha, they are pretty ridiculous... they are basically laying down to take a nap.

Both games are definitely their own beast and have their own unique feel, I'm not a hater but I still prefer the Gens version cause I grew up with that one.

Guest Wags13

Gens is the superior product, and has the superior players..

SNES player? You are inferior and it only makes sense that you'd be uncomfortable playing an inferior game..

#1. Genesis version has harder hits: the hits in the Snes version appear "nurfed", for instance: when a player gets decked and injured in the snes version he just sort of lays down as if he was in a lazy boy recliner. 1 point for Genesis

#6. Genesis has highlights from other games: kick ass feature, I love watching these. Even though it's a novelty thing, it still rules. 1 point for Genesis.

#15. Genesis goalies skate: On Snes they hover around the ice. 1 point for Genesis.

alright first off SNES does have highlights. maybe you would know that if you played the game. -1 for gens.

Just because the injury animation isnt the same doesnt mean hits arent as hard. what about when players get nailed against the boards?

and finaly, SNES goalies do hover. but in GENS they dig into the ice, they have no slide. a goalie has to be able to slide from post to post.

and your biast to gens. BIAST, therefor your study holds no water.

And if you take what fredey says about the sirens, then i think we are becoming tied in the points. GENS totaly does not win

Ok this is a very bad debate,

Genesis is head andshoulders better.

Let me explain,

- the most crucial part to any game is the frame rate it allows for s,oothness and fluidity in any game. Genesis is superior in this regard and the animation simply looks likeit was meant to be.

1-frame rate

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-the hitting is alomost laughable in the snes version. It's as if the guy that is hit simply collapses to the ice for his daily nap.

2- hitting a integral part of the game

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The controls are so much better in the genesis version. Carefull when i say this i mean they are more realistic and have less of a delay. the passingin the snes version is almost like a game of blades of steel. rarely any bad bounce of a skate or a deflected pass. Seems like he " makes the pass" everytime.

3-controls

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

graphically the only thing i like better in the snes version is the ice color. the logos are nice in gens the banners are almost identical but the player have faces, the goalie skates ect

4-graphics

What i like to call intangibles are so much better on the genesis version From music, to sirens to the way ron bar just breaks it down on the gens version is so much better.

5-intangibles

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Do i like thesnes version : yes

do i think this is a reasonble debate no!

i challenge anyone who plays the snes to play the genisis exclusively for a month they will fall in love with its intristic qualities. I know snes guys get mad when we crap on the inferior sister of nhl gens but facts are facts and these are compelling arguments based on fact not opinion.

Now if i offended the snes boys Im sorry but Gens version is sooooooooooo much better

let the war begin

i'm an avid snes player and have recently played the gens version (about 10 games in a row) with a friend of mine. i didn't like the gens version at all, its completely different. I can score 15-20 goals/game easy in snes but i had trouble scoring one in gens. It was also way too difficult to click on the manual goalie, which brings me to my main point of the SNES controller being ridiculously better than the gens controller... 3 buttons?!?! thats preposterous! I use all 6 buttons plus the gamepad regularly on the snes controller and anyone who doesn't use them all is at a disadvantage, i believe. the L and R buttons are so key to click on the left or right Defencemen as you need him.

I found the gameplay to be much better on the Snes so I dunno what you gens guys are talking about frame rates or whatever, its all a matter of opinion and what you're used to i think.

Personally, I think whatever you grew up on, whether its snes or gens, you're obviously going to prefer that version over the other.

They're too different and peoples opinions are too biased to actually decide which is better. The only thing I will say that I hope everyone will agree on is the SNES controller is SOOOO much better than the Gens controller... i find it way easier to control the players with the gamepad and obviously the extra buttons are a huge help. as "plaid" mentioned in his post, its way easier to deke in the snes version, i need to be able to deke good or as i like to call it "dangle"...

The one thing that I can say I like much better in the gens version than the Snes version is how it saves records, that is pretty cool and the only real thing worth mentioning that the snes version is lacking... but i would still take the better controller over the record saver anyday.

Final Verdict: Gens players like gens better (thats why they play it) and Snes players like snes better (thats why we play it).... is there anyone out there who played SNES 94 all of their life then tried gens version and completely quit playing snes or vice versa? i would be very interested to hear if theres anyone out there like that and if so, they are the only true people that can answer this question.

Dangler is 100% right. its a matter of personal opinion. there are a few key things that make each one different and unique to its self. but which ever one you grew up on you will like more.

and all this proves is that gens players are ignorant. because they refuse to see this and INSIST that gens is the holy grail.

well i see nintendo still making popular games and systems.... i dont see sega anywhere tho...hmmm

sungod - I don't think anyone is attacking Gens, so what makes you think attacking SNES is warranted?

There's no war.

Get over it.

btw: I played GENS only until I came to the site, then somehow I became an SNES person. So I think dangler is wrong there, too B)

I have tried playing GENS and it was decent, but for me personally, does not compare to SNES.

Two key things that put the SNES version way out in front of the GENS version is the player control and passing.

I don't care about framerate!

Also, I like the SNES controller and controls much better, along with the music and sound effects, the non-blue ice, as well as the goalie and checking animations.

Whenever I play the GENS version, I feel like I'm playing a suped up version of NHLPA 93 on SNES, with one-timers and minus the fighting of course. Whenever I play the SNES version, I feel like I'm playing a gift from God.

I really don't understand why the GENS version is more popular, but to each his own, I guess.

Things I like about Genesis that SNES doesnt have....the siren during goals and horn at the end of the period(I think in SNES its jsut a whistle...this is lame). The option to a head to head matchup and play overtime without restarting the game after the first OT.

Having defense control in SNES and a better manual goalie is why I play snes....holding down the button for a second to activate the goalie in genesis is weak. I can't count how many split second saves ive made and that have been made against me. If your manual goalie is impeccable you can win a game on that alone.

As long as this site has people....this debate will never end.

• 10 months later...

Bump it up.. Lots of new members like me are interested in this debate I'm sure.. I made a new post about it, and I'm sure that gets old to the people who have been on here a while haha. Maybe make this a sticky topic if this forum has that? GREAT post!

The genesis goalies skate? Uhm, yeah.. Maybe cause they get knocked halfway around the arena just because you shoot at them. They bloody have to skate to "maybe" get back into goal.

I don't see any of those points proving much.. And what does it matter, some people like one version, some the other... Personally I don't like either graphics, sounds or gameplay in genesis. I'd much rather play EA Hockey, which at least looks that bad because it's old, took them until 95 to change the looks of it on genesis...

It's not that I don't like genesis. Actually I prefer all other versions on genesis than 94, where the snes version is far superior for my tastes.

Actually, the goalies do skate. Ever moved one while trying to clear the puck?

Having defense control in SNES and a better manual goalie is why I play snes....holding down the button for a second to activate the goalie in genesis is weak.

I prefer GENS, but I think this is a pretty big deal. I really wish GENS had what SNES has here.

(Yes, I know this is an old topic.)