NHL'94 Forums

Change a Draft rule for next season

hokkeefan

This draft has been good but the 1 rule that is VERY annoying is the fact that people still have to wait till designated times to pick after a slacker has been skipped.Everyone knows there pick time and the draft is going so if they are not here for there pick ,they should be skipped and things go on as normal.There is no need to wait and give any power to the slack ass mo fos that dont care about the other 20 or so coaches that are here and active.

I agree and if they think they cannot make there pick at the designated time because of an emergency or prior plans, then they should let another coach (who does not pick before them) know who they want.

Agreed. Whole point of skipping is that the others don't have to wait. If you missed your pick time slot the draft goes on as if you had picked. Seems obvious really

your just mad because you ran out of trades :haha:

Yeah.. What is the point of skipping coaches if we still have to wait 10000000 hrs to advance? The penalty for a coach not picking hurts the other active coaches more than it actually hurts the coach being skipped. Doesn't make any sense.

I think it's fine, you can just show up when your time slot is near. If you keep it a free for all, you'd have to constantly watch in case your turn comes up.

No, you can still wait until your time slot, but after your slot the draft goes on as if you picked. They only one adversely affected is the guy who held us all up by not showing up/leaving a list

Hokkee's point is if my time is 1pm next is 130. AT 130 the next team can pick, and at 131 the 2pm team can pick so on and so forth.

Still we can't start the next round until designated time is reached so at best we're keeping one round moving.

Should be a rule from right now. Forget next season because if they aint showing up for rd6 we know exactly what's gonna happen in rounds 7 to 12 don't we?!

Edited by LA Robbie

Its not too much of a big deal in later rds if time is cut to 15 minutes a pick, it just adds so much time to the draft in first 6 rds.I know the draft will be held up for designated times once in awhile but when everyones active,we could save a day or 2

Honestly, rounds 9-12 should be randomly filled. Its such a waste of everyones time and effort to muddle thru rounds where these players dont even see the ice, or pixels.

I like to draft in the latter parts as well so from my part I would dislike the randomization of it.

1)

Maybe it should be encouraged more often to allow players be picked for you like Plabax just asked in the round 8 thread if it really doesn't matter for you that much or you don't care for the benchwarmers, just want the best value for possible trades by ADP.

"Please pick the highest rated player left for me.

In order of my remaining picks, best Defender, best Goalie, best Forward, best forward, best Goalie. Thanks. "

^ Maybe that could automatically come in to play for people who have been slacking also.

2)

It's also not a bad idea to gather up and do the whole 3 rounds at one sitting in the chat. Just agree upon a set schedule when most can make it there, it will only take around an hour or so for the 3 rounds. We used to do this a lot in the newer NHL:s. The guys who don't show up get the BPA by ADP on their turn, not after the round.

Edited by Depch

^ Like a fantasy football draft, I like it!

Also just put the guys that were skipped at the end of the round, and they have to pick once the round is over. None of this picking whenever you want during the round bullshit, it screws up everyone's draft strategies

Edited by LABS_66

^ Like a fantasy football draft, I like it!

Also just put the guys that were skipped at the end of the round, and they have to pick once the round is over. None of this picking whenever you want during the round bullshit, it screws up everyone's draft strategies

Even if they missed their turn, they still won't skip over anyone. He could've chosen that guy right on his turn too. It shouldn't affect anyones draft strategy as no one is skipping over your pick position. Just if you missed your schedule you can hop in anytime you can, you are not skipping ahead of anyone there and if you're not done by the end of the round then just assigned a player. There will surely be some situations where people missed their window due to some random occurance like public transportation screwing it up or something else so giving a penalty like that might be unwarranted. If a player has slacked during many picks maybe then you could start thinking of that more of as a penalty and make them draft at the end of the turn.

Lots to think about which is fair.

I'm always watching the draft on my phone so I would like to pick mine but if majority rules in favor of autopick then so be it.

I think 9-12 should be autopicked based on adp. This is the time of the draft that ends up being a cluster.

I would be in favor of this. I would think there are a handful of guys (me included) that take the auto pick by the admins anyways.

What happens if a team ends up with too many of one position due to recieving the best available ADP?

We have a different aspect to drafting in our NHL95 PC Manager leagues. It's very different approach and might not to be everyones liking, but it's been way faster and at the very least as fun as well. Sure no trading is involved, but not as much time taking effort from league admins either helping with their load during the draft. This 2 weeks must be a energy draining effort for Ice.

a ) Instead of a casual draft you can go with a bidding system for players. All teams start with the same budget of money (actually in NHL94 where skill is involved the players who did not make the playoffs for example could have more money to spend on teams to make it even and so on). This is just an example, but a list of players and their starting salaries http://koti.kapsi.fi/~kiba/KHL/KOHL3/KOHL3_rosterit.xls. Those can be modified accordingly and to match nhl94 players of course. You bid for a full team and give each player a price tag you want. Highest bidder for the player gets that player.

b ) If a team has empty space for a roster spot a new round will begin with teams who have empty spaces for rosters. For 8-10 man manager league these take usually 4 rounds and we draft more complete rosters.

c ) Above can easily be done with a PHP-program and it might easily be modified to nhl94 players as well. It is way faster than drafts on a board as players need to log in only once a round and make their play, suits more inactive players better.

d ) This becomes very complex in the end. Yes you can try go all in or as high as you can on Mogilny, but you will end up with scrubs for the rest of the teams and that ain't helping even the best players win and if there was a balancing for budget due position in league. If someone still bid more on Mogilny, you lost your chance on round #1 and most of the stars are already gone. It's very risky to place such all in bids for a certain player. Maybe go a little bit of higher on an above mid guy leaving some more for your wanted D guys or even goalie and so on.

Here is how all ended up http://koti.kapsi.fi/~kiba/php/KOHL3/show_player_salaries.php Not sure if you need logins to see the salaries but in the end it's ok. That system could be even refined to be better and more balanced taking in to account more things. But this just in addition to this discussion as options to have where people wanna go from this.

Edited by Depch