NHL'94 Forums

Home/Away Advantages

PlabaxV2

The advantages in the ROM are so ridiculous.. My team CANNOT do ANYTHING on the fking road.

It doesn't happen every game, but it is CLEAR that there is some manipulation in the game going on because of it.

Pass to a defender off a faceoff win? My defender will ALWAYS turn around and skate the other way.

Loose puck? My players won't get it.

6 stick handle with Phil Housley? Here you go lose the puck every time!!

WIDE Open pass? No problem! The receiver will let it bounce off his stick! It's only THEOREN Fleury!

Clear lane for a goalie breakaway pass? Let's pass it to the opposing forwards!

Slight nudge? Lose the puck even though it NEVER happens at home!

Only start to score once you are already down 5-0!!

Is this what people have been finding fun all this time? All this "BlitzGAh!11" talk is for what?

The difference it makes is so fkin clear that it baffles me that players are able to say this is better than GDL. I do not mind LOSING because my opponent is better than me, but I DO mind and am fed up with LOSING simply because of something in the game that is preventing me from doing well.

Haha. Hilarious post. Yeah there are games that everythin is against you, we all know that, but it isn't that often.

Blitz is best league by far. Next time draft some fatties Mr "Weight is over rated"!

;-)

There will be no "next time" are you well?

I think it happens often enough, some coaches have 0 wins on the road.. and you have a piss poor road record too.

Blitz is definitely not the best league by far because it makes the GENS version of '94 (what we believe to be the superior version) and makes it play similar to SNES (making it worse).

On top of that the guys here don't understand how to run the draft correctly. The protect pick system is complete garbage and it is such a shame I wasted all some of my time with this league when compared with GDL.

Unfortunately I'm already close to completion so what can I do.

Heard plabax had quite the avatar.

What's the matter lil' guy? Already taken down?

I may not waste my time with your forum posts or AIM messages anymore, BUT if you ever use personal images of mine or anyone else again: I will begin bothering admins like never before to have you removed from the forums. I really think you need a new hobby besides saving and manipulating peoples facebook pictures.

Weren't you recently banned for a similar act to kingraph?

Yeah, there's definitely a road handicap that kicks in sometimes on the snes version as well. It's an even playing field though since it affects everyone, not just you. I b|tch about it sometimes but I'd never take it to this level where you are basically curling up in fetal position and crying in text form. Get it together, dude.

Edited by NorthwayNative

one for each finger he types with.

I am really dumbfounded by kupuck's behaviour.

For all of you who don't know the history, I'll break it down for you :

Kupuck and I used to talk all the time.. In fact, he was the guy I talked to the most outside of TomKabs.

One day, Kupuck asks me to help him set up a 2on2 league called PHL (Pond Hockey League). I do ALL of it for him and at that point, we had never been into any arguments or anything like that. We were cool with each other.

Fast forward to GDL X, I ask to play some games, kupuck says no because he had just played some games.. Ok, so we start talking about which division is the toughest. Then we get into an argument about if Houly is a good player or not. Kupuck claimed he was much better than Houly so I started making fun of him because in my eyes, Houly is clearly the better player.

After that argument.. kupuck started acting real fishy. I think I hurt his feelings because he kept avoiding me whenever I asked for games, telling me he was busy or he had night shifts delivering pizza. Since I had total control over the GDL database, I discovered that kupuck was not actually going to work, but instead ignoring me, and then playing with all the other coaches.

kupuck proceeds to host a Shark Week tournament, where I end up being matched up with minpind.. I had not seen minpind online for the past MONTH because he is online usually when I am sleeping, so I had decided to just forfeit as it wasn't a big deal for me. This is when kupuck got angry at me for refusing to play my games.. Sure enough I brought up the proof of him ducking our games.. and he ended up admitting it in the reply to my post.. His reason? He didn't have one.. That's why I believe kupuck is a clown :)

that's interesting. we all know that you are a drama queen and a troll. you aren't here for the fun of gaming, you are here to bicker with other members and to mock them whenever possible. you love to compare anybody/everybody to those you currently think are elite. your profile is composed of mocking other members. you seem to have emotional problems and a general lack of civility. the preteens we have around here each have you beat in maturity. you seem to need an intervention. good luck with all of that.

that's interesting. we all know that you are a drama queen and a troll. you aren't here for the fun of gaming, you are here to bicker with other members and to mock them whenever possible. you love to compare anybody/everybody to those you currently think are elite. your profile is composed of mocking other members. you seem to have emotional problems and a general lack of civility. the preteens we have around here each have you beat in maturity. you seem to need an intervention. good luck with all of that.

Well.. he started with me ^_^

Oh the irony. Lol

uh-huh. keep pushing that agenda. they'll believe you eventually.

Anyway I can come to a conclusion that I don't need fatties.. I score as many goals as I usually do and I have even recorded a league-high 3 shutouts already (with Daren Puppa).

The problem is this bs that makes me lose every game, it's the difference between me losing 5-4 instead of me winning 8-4.. The advantage isn't there every game.. but when it's there chances highly are you will lose.

I believe this to be the reason why Carse doesn't kill everyone in the regular season. The ROM prevents him from doing so! :)

Yeah, there's definitely a road handicap that kicks in sometimes on the snes version as well. It's an even playing field though since it affects everyone, not just you. I b|tch about it sometimes but I'd never take it to this level where you are basically curling up in fetal position and crying in text form. Get it together, dude.

The advantages in the Blitz ROM are different from what you play with on the SNES. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think you can change the advantages like you can in GENS.

The reason it kicks in "sometimes" on the SNES is because most of the games you will play won't give you a handicap, unlike in Blitz where every road game technically gives you a "handicap".

It doesn't happen all the time, but it happens way more than it does in SNES/GENS classic.

I have noticed this and when the puck starts bouncing in your skates it's just frustrating, but you gotta trust that it evens out in the end (you don't notice it happening that often to the opponents though), but when it happens to you, you always feel like the victim there.

The team strenghts vary in the original bins and some teams have better values than others, so some teams might not have disadvantages at all. In Blitz and GDL it's like posted below. Blitz has tried to maximize offence/defence values and give some advantage to home where as GDL tries to even out the field completely for all games (it is true in Blitz too in the end, as everyone has home & visitor games).

Blitz:

Offence 7 (strong, the higher the better 0-7)

Defence 0 (strong, the lower the better 0-7)

Powerplay 1 (average, higher the better 0-2)

Penalty Killing 0 (strong, lower the better 0-2)

Home 2 (strong, higher the better 0-2)

Away 1 (average, lower the better 0-3, 3 would be brutal)

Gdl:

Offence 4

Defence 3

Powerplay 1

Penalty Killing 1

Home 1

Away 1

I too like GDL more and from an outsiders view it seems like the more prestigeous league (but let's not take the discussion there as it's mostly opinions). Another thing that affects is that maybe that I'm used to default rosters & physics (also very familiar with wgh bug fix), but changes to checking resistance & checking effectiviness changes the game more than you could think straightforward. In a positive way when you think of realism to the game. The Blitz home/visiting advantages also lean towards realism as at home you tend to have some advantages. There is some controversy there to not take the realism to it's fullest with not having offsides & line changes, but from history point it's understandable. Still a great league though and looking forward to a full season of having my own mark on the team via drafts/trades in the offseason.

Edited by Depch

Yeah it makes sense and I see what you are saying, but my problem is this :

I WIN games that I should WIN (at home)..

I LOSE games that I should LOSE (at home)..

I LOSE games that I should WIN (on the road)..

I do NOT WIN games that I should LOSE (on the road)..

It does not affect everybody EQUALLY because some coaches are going to lose more than they should, and some will win more than they should. When others are affected by the advantage against me, it doesn't do much because chances are I was going to win anyway.

I think it affects fast teams more than slower teams, at least that is what I can gather from my experience, but it does happen with short passes to speed 4 players too when playing as a visiting team (sometimes in home too, just not that frequently). I know what you are talking about, sometimes the puck bounces are just ridiculous, but I still gotta trust it evens out in the end. The Blitz off/def maximization also goes against fast low weight players as in Blitz a slower d is better positioned on average being ready to give that punishing hit and with the checking changes to the game it makes it just that much harder than on GDL, as a stick 5 and weight 5 player like Bure just melts like a warm knife to a butter on a hit, toddling is minimized against heavier d (happens mostly only vs B-checks).

Edited by Depch

SNES has advantages, too. it also seems to have boosts that can't be explained, like a 42-speed-rated guy zooming around like Seguin. I set my ROMs to reduce the advantages as much as possible, but the boosts are still obvious.