NHL'94 Forums

Should NHL players participate in the Olympics?

kupuck19

The New York Islanders lost their star and captain for the rest of the season because of an injury at the Sochi Games.

''John Tavares has an MCL and meniscus tear in his left knee,'' team spokesman Kimber Auerbach wrote in an email Thursday.

Tavares is the latest player from the league to get injured in Russia, perhaps giving NHL owners another reason to want to keep their players home and playing with them during the 2018 Olympics.

The Florida Panthers sent just two players to Sochi, and both got banged up. Aleksander Barkov is expected to be out for about a month with a knee injury he got while playing for Finland. Tomas Kopecky is out indefinitely after getting elbowed in the head in a game for Slovakia.

Mats Zuccarello of the New York Rangers had a hand injury that ruled him out of Norway's finale against Russia.

Detroit Red Wings and Swedish captain Henrik Zetterberg aggravated a pre-existing back injury, which the Olympic team said was a herniated disk, after his Sochi Games opener and is out indefinitely.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/islanders-f-tavares-knee-injury-142527903--nhl.html

With the high number of injuries from Sochi looks like there may be a stronger call to not have NHL players compete in the 2018 games.

What do you think? Should the NHL continue to let its players compete?

Let the Olympics become a U23 tournament (or something like that) and bring forth a "real" World Cup, as it was always meant to be played. Perhaps every second or fourth year in September or so, with all the pros of course. I'm only speaking for myself, but I'd be devastated if hockey lost its only proper international tournament.

Edited by Fitzo

I agree, it might be better just to redefine amateur status in international hockey and all teams use amateurs. If it was U23 all the youngest NHL players would still qualify, NHL teams would have to call up guys from the AHL to fill voids. The youngest players would take risk in leaving their jobs and perhaps be injured in a tournament. It still leaves an unleveled field of skill between NHL players and those in foreign professional hockey.

If all the players in Olympic Hockey were amateurs it not only would there be good exposure for the players but it would broaden the competition of the IIHF altogether. There were many countries that used to compete in Olympic Hockey that no longer do after the rules were changed to allow professionals. It is harder for smaller hockey nations to qualify than ever before. It would be absurd to allow Germany, Italy, France, Japan, Kazahkistan etc into the Olympics when the Canadians are star-stacked and the other teams fill rosters with players from foreign professional leagues. I could see a 2018 Olympic games with 20+ countries in the men's ice hockey competition without major professionals if the IIHF worked to reform a few things.

The IIHF needs to define amateur status different than the NCAA does, amateur status in College Sports has been interpreted to not allow CHL (WHL, OHL, QMJHL) players to participate. If the IIHF can define amateur differently allowing players that are compensated less than variable "X" eligible for competition, than it would preserve the talent pool allowing professionals to play that are not in SM-Liiga, SEL, KHL or NHL. Most players outside those leagues (pro leagues in the UK, France, Australia, etc) are paid very little in comparison to the NHL.

If we do without the NHL players, than it wouldn't make sense to still allow for pros in Russia, Finland, Sweden, and other leagues that provide competitive pay and play to compete as well. I think we can all distinguish differences between professional hockey in Sweden & the United States from professional hockey in the United Kingdom. I do not think the British born guy making less than $25,000 a year should be considered a "pro" like the Canadian born player that signs a multiyear multimillion dollar contract.

My opinion is the IIHF should: define amateur vs pro that makes sense in the way hockey has developed internationally, and proceed without the professionals that make an actual livings as hockey players. Bring back the world cup of hockey in which the pros compete outside their NHL seasons and keep the Olympics for the amateurs.

But in all honesty, would Olympic Ice Hockey be better from a fans perspective with only the world's best amateurs? I think so.

The Olympics should be for the best athletes. If the Decision ends up being that NHLers can't play,then we should send the next best players available.

i'm with fitzo. go the soccer route. make your "grand event" the world cup that they used to have in september. would help everyone. nhl won't have to do these ridiculous 3 week breaks in the middle of a season, and it'd lead into NHL training camps. for the IIHF, you get a tournament of the best players in the world, and they'll be rested. theoretically, this could actually improve the quality of an nhl season rather than take away from it like the olympics does.

yes, players could still get injured. but it's better to miss say the 1st 2 months of a season rather than the last 2 months.

Why would the us and canada be at a huge disadvantage?

The best athletes for the Americans and Canadians play in the NHL. Numbers of Americans/Canadians playing professional abroad are small. If other leagues continue to send players Russia Sweden and Finland will remain dominant IMO.

The best athletes for the Americans and Canadians play in the NHL. Numbers of Americans/Canadians playing professional abroad are small. If other leagues continue to send players Russia Sweden and Finland will remain dominant IMO.

Most of their best players play in NHL as well....Almost the entire Swedish team was from the NHL....more than half the russians and finnish are from the NHL. And those are their best players, with a couple exceptions like kovalchuk and radulov. So they'll be in the same situation.

Going back pre 1998 NHL olympics, Canada had silver medalled twice at the 1992 and 1994 olympics. Players like kariya, lindros, lebeau, juneau etc played for those teams.

The USA and canada built olympic teams that played exhibition games against other professional teams leading up the games to prepare. I think they would find adequate talent again if it comes to that.

I think this would cause massive issues with the international players.

A lot of European players made it clear they would forfeit their NHL season if it meant not going to the Olympics (Ex: Ovechkin).
For Euros the Olympics is often more important and has more meaning than the Stanley Cup.

This isn't the early 90's, about half of every team comes from the old continent. If they would stop sending players I predict a lot would simply stop playing and go anyway which would f**k up the league even more than some injuries. (+Having a ''World Cup'' wont prevent injuries either, neither does having a World Championship at the end of every season).

The Olympics are about the best athletes in the world; if Hockey is played by amateurs I don't think it deserves to be there.

Good point fpb the European NHL players, in particular the ones that grew up playing in the Soviet Union & Eastern Europe, probably have a much different perspective on whether their professional or national team is more important. If NHL players were kept from the games would more Russians come home to the KHL and stack tm Russia again like in the days of the USSR? Possible.

I disagree that people do not necessarily want to watch amatures, many people enjoy watching the CHL Memorial Cup or stories like the USA 1980 team. Just because they might be an amateur status doesn't quite mean they do not have elite skill sets and potential.

I can agree USA and Canada wouldn't be at a "huge" disadvantage, but the skill level of some of these Euro leagues are definitely major steps ahead of the players Canada and the US would be using from the CHL, USHL and NCAA. I don't think many AHL or ECHL players would be considered with the great young talent both nations consistently produce. I'm sure the best US & Canadian players that do not yet have major professional careers would still be very competitive.

I cannot believe so many people are so intrigued by the Olympics.

It completely kills the momentum in the NHL with a 3 week break and it's surrounded by a bunch of FAKE hockey fans who suddenly come to cheer for their country.

I'm tired of seeing fake fans walking around with their Canadian Crosby jersey..

I'm tired of hearing the teenage girls telling me the game is on "HALFTIME" and not intermission.

I'm tired of hearing about the same 6 countries every Olympics.

I'm tired of listening to all the hype about a game everybody knows the outcome to. Canada vs Latvia.. really?

I'm tired of WAITING for this s**t to end so I can watch my team play again :glare:

Paul Martin out for Pens........I don't mind the Olympics, it happens every 4 years, but they should let college and amateur players showcase their talent and have a moment in the spotlight instead of NHL

Good point fpb the European NHL players, in particular the ones that grew up playing in the Soviet Union & Eastern Europe, probably have a much different perspective on whether their professional or national team is more important. If NHL players were kept from the games would more Russians come home to the KHL and stack tm Russia again like in the days of the USSR? Possible.

I disagree that people do not necessarily want to watch amatures, many people enjoy watching the CHL Memorial Cup or stories like the USA 1980 team. Just because they might be an amateur status doesn't quite mean they do not have elite skill sets and potential.

I can agree USA and Canada wouldn't be at a "huge" disadvantage, but the skill level of some of these Euro leagues are definitely major steps ahead of the players Canada and the US would be using from the CHL, USHL and NCAA. I don't think many AHL or ECHL players would be considered with the great young talent both nations consistently produce. I'm sure the best US & Canadian players that do not yet have major professional careers would still be very competitive.

I don't think it's limited to Russians or Eastern Europe, Scandinavians too. I'm not saying people would not watch amateurs (we well watch the Jr Cups or the World Championship which is often half and half) but I doN't think any sport should get away as an olympic sport sending not the best they have.

I think people only get mad when their team gets an injury.

Edited by The Russian Rocket

Very true, but the an owner and general manager that pay top dollar for players like John Tavares to be hurt playing for team Canada brings some controversy into the issue. If you're an athlete than can make millions by contracting with a professional organization, than that organization probably wants to protect their investment. Tavares is out for the season, and Garth Snow is pissed :eyes_droped:

A few weeks ago, Garth Snow was mad that Kyle Okposo was not chosen by team USA.

Now he whines that players shouldn't go because of an injury to Tavares. s**t Happens.

Snow thinks that because Tavares was injured while playing at the Olympics, while under the "watch" of the IOC / IIHF, that the IOC / IIHF should reimburse their season ticket holders.

So if Tavares had been injured in an Islanders game, while under the "watch" of the NHL and the New York Islanders, that Charles Wang would now be signing cheques to reimburse his season ticket holders?

Garth Snow is a moron. And that's without talking about his GM resume. l o l

A few weeks ago, Garth Snow was mad that Kyle Okposo was not chosen by team USA.

Now he whines that players shouldn't go because of an injury to Tavares. s**t Happens.

Snow thinks that because Tavares was injured while playing at the Olympics, while under the "watch" of the IOC / IIHF, that the IOC / IIHF should reimburse their season ticket holders.

So if Tavares had been injured in an Islanders game, while under the "watch" of the NHL and the New York Islanders, that Charles Wang would now be signing cheques to reimburse his season ticket holders?

Garth Snow is a moron. And that's without talking about his GM resume. l o l

Yeah. He is a total two face for sure.

But I would say in watching the Olympics that Canada is on another level than any other team. I think using the NHL players has run it's course. I'd like to see some non-NHL players in the Olympics to not break up the season and also to maybe find some players that aren't discovered yet by the NHL teams.

next olympics, south korea will have a team because the host country automatically qualifies. watching them play NHL all-star teams would be absolutely sickening.

the overall quality would drop off, but i'm not sure the entertainment value would. it'd be cool for countries like latvia and switzerland to have legitimate shots at medaling because of how well they play as a team.

just to finish my point about south korea. i looked up their national team. here are some of their historic results against borderline olympic teams (they've played all of these teams once ever):

Austria: lost 8-0

Slovenia: lost 10-2

Norway: lost 11-1

Belarus: lost 12-1

Ukraine: lost 16-1

Latvia: lost 27-0 (not a typo)

it's more than bad enough when they aren't playing NHLers

just to finish my point about south korea. i looked up their national team. here are some of their historic results against borderline olympic teams (they've played all of these teams once ever):

Austria: lost 8-0

Slovenia: lost 10-2

Norway: lost 11-1

Belarus: lost 12-1

Ukraine: lost 16-1

Latvia: lost 27-0 (not a typo)

it's more than bad enough when they aren't playing NHLers

Austria: Has Vanek, Grabner, Raffi

Slovenia; Anje Kopitar

Norway: Zuccarello, Tolefsen, Thoresen

Belarus: Grabovski, Kostitsyn and Kostitsyn

Ukraine: Andrei Mikhnov and Ponikarovsky

Latvia: Ozolinsh, Skrastins, Daugavins

They play some just not as much. I think the flaw is more in the host team qualifying than having NHL'ers. How quickly people forget Canada s**t the bed at Nagano and Turin.

Austria: Has Vanek, Grabner, Raffi

Slovenia; Anje Kopitar

Norway: Zuccarello, Tolefsen, Thoresen

Belarus: Grabovski, Kostitsyn and Kostitsyn

Ukraine: Andrei Mikhnov and Ponikarovsky

Latvia: Ozolinsh, Skrastins, Daugavins

They play some just not as much. I think the flaw is more in the host team qualifying than having NHL'ers. How quickly people forget Canada s**t the bed at Nagano and Turin.

they're 3-14 all-time against china, if you put more into that.

but yeah im not saying that's why nhl players shouldn't go, just making a point that it will be UGLY if they do.