NHL'94 Forums

NHL'93 and Bodychecking Abilities

NYI80-83

Thank you to those who have posted how to do the weight bug fix so that heavier players are better checkers and better at withstanding checks than lighter players. I tried manually inputting the improved weight bug fix in NHL '93 but it doesn't seem to have the desired effect upon testing. Are there any NHL'93 downloads available that employ the improved weight bug fix?

Also, while I can follow the steps and edit the game and have successfully implemented the regular weight bug fix in HEXeditor - I was wondering how much these can be toyed with? Like is it possible to change the line of code involving bodychecking in NHL'93 so that Checking determines how good of a bodychecker a playeri is but Agility (for example) determines how good a player is at withstanding a bodycheck?

Basically I'm looking for a way where a player can be a good bodychecker but not good at withstanding bodychecks AND vice versa. With weight as the major determinant of bodycheck success, as I understand at least, a player's ability to bodycheck will always be the same as their ability to absorb a check.

Edited by NYI80-83

I think it would be great if you could do what you are attempting.

I hate that weight is the most important attribute in this great game.

My favorite fix is to eliminate weight as a factor in checking by employing the even checking fix.

http://forum.nhl94.com/index.php?/topic/8030-how-to-fix-the-weight-bug-gens/page-3

I think it would be great if you could do what you are attempting.

I hate that weight is the most important attribute in this great game.

My favorite fix is to eliminate weight as a factor in checking by employing the even checking fix.

http://forum.nhl94.com/index.php?/topic/8030-how-to-fix-the-weight-bug-gens/page-3

Thank you for the link, yes I did notice that fix and tried it, seemed to be extremely difficult to bodycheck, but I only played like 2 short games so could've been a small sample size. What's your experience with it? And what then would determine the success of a check then - solely the speed and angle of the hit? Always has seemed that that did have something to do with it too (as it should!)

• 2 weeks later...

I think I read somewhere that (with the weight bug fix) that a player needs to be rated two higher in weight to be likely to succeed with a body check. Can anyone confirm this?

So hypothetically playing NHL'93, I was thinking of assigning players the following weight categories)

220 - (can body check 172-204; bodychecked by no one)
212 - (can body check 172-196; bodychecked by no one)
204 - (can body check 172-188; bodychecked by 220)
196 - (can body check 172-180; bodychecked by 212-220)
188 - (can body check 172; bodychecked by 204-220)
180 - (can body check nobody; bodychecked by 220-196)
172 - (can body check nobody; bodychecked by 220-188)

For a mid-80's ROM my plan would be to assign the majority of players to the middleweights (204-188) and make star players like Gretzky, Bossy, Stastny etc. to weight 196. This way they can only be knocked down by a handful of players and can only knock down the weakest of players. This is a strategy I'd employ to make their skills not be undermined by the importance of bodychecking and weight in the game without making them total monsters knocking everyone down as well.

I hope this description I made makes sense. And I also hope my understanding of how bodychecking works in NHL'93 is correct and this strategy will work. Any input appreciated from the experts. Thank you.

It is really tough to body check with even checking. Still trying to decide if I like it.

And I guess it is just the angle/speed/random, but it does blow up the plus 2 thing because with everyone equal you can still have a successful body check.

What is determining the success of those checks?

Checking and weight drives me crazy.

I have had similar thoughts to what you wrote above.

I was thinking even simpler. 180/196/212.

The problem is that wt also affects acceleration and turning so if you make Gretzky heavier he will not accellerate and turn as well.

The wt bug fix is looking like the best overall solution.

Gretz and Bossy will be good because of high ratings, quickness, and acceleration.

They will get knocked around alot though.

Luckily it is 93 and Semenko and Gillies can answer the bell when they do get knocked around.

I am thinking about an 83 rom. Maybe we should join forces.

It is really tough to body check with even checking. Still trying to decide if I like it.

And I guess it is just the angle/speed/random, but it does blow up the plus 2 thing because with everyone equal you can still have a successful body check.

What is determining the success of those checks?

Checking and weight drives me crazy.

I have had similar thoughts to what you wrote above.

I was thinking even simpler. 180/196/212.

The problem is that wt also affects acceleration and turning so if you make Gretzky heavier he will not accellerate and turn as well.

The wt bug fix is looking like the best overall solution.

Gretz and Bossy will be good because of high ratings, quickness, and acceleration.

They will get knocked around alot though.

Luckily it is 93 and Semenko and Gillies can answer the bell when they do get knocked around.

I am thinking about an 83 rom. Maybe we should join forces.

Sounds like the +2 thing is a major determinant but there is room for different results based on whatever (angle?speed? etc. - -which is preferable, I like that there is at lease some variability).

I have built rosters without complete ratings in NOSE based on an old preview of the 83-84 season I have. Gave each team 12 Forwards, 6 Defenders and 2 goalies. Also created a Colorado Rockies consisting of players who played for them as well. Wanted to have two 11 team conferences with the season format I have in mind. May extend it to two conferences of 12 and resuscitate the Seals and Barons while I'm at it!

I'm clueless on how to edit banners. If I build the rosters think you could help me with that? Get LA purple and gold, make me a Colorado etc. etc.?

Edited by NYI80-83

Thinking about what you wrote here. I could just lower the weights of each of my above categories - so that say the middle "STAR" weight is 180. I don't have the game on this computer - on my MAC here - but I think the lowest weight is 164 OR is it 156?

140 is the lowest weight.

I think if I were you I would just skip the wt bug fix and make star players have low wts.

In the original game wt is probably one of the most important attributes so just make star players have low wts. Link it to the overall that is the direction I am heading.

EX.

If you want Mario to be the best player in the game make him a light weight.

140 is the lowest weight.

I think if I were you I would just skip the wt bug fix and make star players have low wts.

In the original game wt is probably one of the most important attributes so just make star players have low wts. Link it to the overall that is the direction I am heading.

EX.

If you want Mario to be the best player in the game make him a light weight.

I get what you're saying - as lower weight also makes them turn quicker and accelerate faster. However I don't want them to be able to bodycheck well themselves - and I also like the idea of making some really heavy slow guys who knock down everyone but have trouble reaching them (Ken Morrow at 220 llb, 0 Speed) for example.