NHL'94 Forums

SNES (PROVEN)TO BE THE BEST VERSION FOR NHL94

I'd like to see more Super Nintendo and Genesis goals online and see what game has better gameplay.

The dekes and passing and goalie control is better on SNES.

So funny: :huh:

Taken from:

The NHL'94 experiment. :D

Case to Clockwise:Your ultimate test, is for me, flawed. I don't look at it the same way you do.

Clockwise's (flawed) Test: : :blink:

Clockwise #1. Genesis version has harder hits: the hits in the Snes version appear "nurfed", for instance: when a player gets decked and injured in the snes version he just sort of lays down as if he was in a lazy boy recliner. 1 point for Genesis

Case: Harder hits? Have you not nailed a guy so hard that you go flying back halfway across the ice? That kicks sooo much ass. Try pressing the 'Y' button after. That is so hilarious.

Clockwise #2. Genesis version has a siren to signify a goal: How was this left out? Someone really dropped the ball for the Snes version. 1 point for Genesis.

Case: What are you talking about? Turn on the sound and listen for yourself. Also look behind the net when you score. That red thing spinning around is called a GOAL LIGHT.

Clockwise #3. Snes has better hat trick animation: when the hats fly on the ice it looks way better on the Snes version. 1 point for Snes.

Case: Whatever.

Clockwise #4. Genesis has better intro music: Best song ever, I want to be buried to this tune. The Snes intro music is cheesy, plus you have to wait for the puck animation before you can start the game. 1 point for Genesis.

Case: Also whatever. Personally I never have the sound on. I just listen to some Coverdale/Page or other kick ass music. But there are some who care, but again, whatever.

Clockwise #5. Genesis has reverse replays: It's cool to check out a sweet goal from an opposite angle. Considering the Snes version was released after the Genesis version, there is no excuse why the Snes version doesn't have it. 1 point for Genesis

Case: Gotta give you this one, kick ass.

Clockwise #6. Genesis has highlights from other games: kick ass feature, I love watching these. Even though it's a novelty thing, it still rules. 1 point for Genesis.

Case: So does SNES. Are you ok?

JEFF ADD ON: B)

Yeah other game highlights are shown in the playoffs figure it out.

Clockwise #7. Snes players have blades on their skates: Genesis skaters float on magical booties. Genesis crew had 3 tries and still didn't add blades to skates on Genesis untill 95. 1 point for Snes.

Case: More nitpicking. Give me better play control anyday.

Clockwise #8. Snes has better arena SFX: When the puck caroms off the glass and stuff like that it sounds better on Snes. 1 point for Snes.

Case: Again minor. If we'd all cared about graphics and sound so much we'd be playing the newer s**t games.

Clockwise #9. Snes players have tape on their sticks: 1 point for Snes.

Case: You can SEE that?

Clockwise #10. Genesis rinks have better center ice logos: Snes ones look like they were made with a Fisher Price "My First Airbrush kit". 1 point for Genesis

Case: See #8

Clockwise #11. Genesis version has better game play: Mostly due to the better frame rate. This is what makes or breaks any game. it's the most important part of the experiment which is why the winner of this issue is awared 2 points. 2 points for Genesis.

Case: I'll get back to this one.

Clockwise #12. Genesis players have faces: Snes players have no emotion cause they have no f**king faces.. stupid. 1 point for Genesis.

Case: Again with the graphics!

Clockwise #13. Snes has better ice color: 1 point for Snes.

Case: What can I say? Its very minor, I don't know why they both weren't just white.

Clockwise #14. Snes version hase better bench graphics: Nice touch, still they could have added a goal judge to light the lamp. 1 point for Snes.

Case: Enough with the graphics already!!

Clockwise #15. Genesis goalies skate: On Snes they hover around the ice. 1 point for Genesis.

Case: Uh, ok? I love the goalie contol on the SNES. Without it I wonder just how long this game would have lasted. As for hovering around the ice, I thought it was the Genesis version that didn't have skates! But at least this is a concern of some substance.

And finally...

Clockwise #11. Geneis version has better game play: Mostly due to the better frame rate. This is what makes or breaks any game. it's the most important part of the experiment which is why the winner of this issue is awared 2 points. 2 points for Genesis.

Case: Quite simply, I dispute this. I diagree, I just can't believe it. Not you, I believe that you really believe in your game, but about the two games playability. Are we all so brainwashed into our inherent systems that we cannot see otherwise? I used to think this. But not now. I've given the Genesis version many tries over the years. Its not the same at all. It just feels wrong. I can't make any plays I want to make, the passing is unreliable, the control seems jittery, the whole feel is just wrong. Alot of you guys out there may simply prefer the feel of the Genesis, but for me, its play control is very limiting. Why is this? Its simply a different game. I'd be willing to let it fall into second best territory, but who wants to play the second best game in the world when everything you could want in a game(control-wise obviously) is here in the SNES. They are two very different games and always will be. I could play for the rest of my life and never get the same type of goals from the Genesis as I can from the SNES. Just look at these plays again if you have to:

(shameless plug). Prove me wrong! Genesis guys start recording your goals. I want results. NHL 94 highlight menagerie extravaganza and NHL94 highlights 2003 Olliz remix (NHL 94), I'm sorry, it just didn't do it for me. Not to be mean, or to show off for that matter. It is simply not NHL94 to me. OK for what they are, but no 94.

post-269-1174169487.jpg

Ah, I see you are skilled in the art of copy/paste. *Karate SFX* But I am equally as adept :lol:

Sorry to puncture your '94 balloon, but Snes is a diluted version, and, the experiments margin of error is in the vicinity of .001 % and .0001 %. Somewhere between those numbers lie your arguement :lol:.

First of all most of these so called points of yours are MINOR ideas and have not much to do with what makes this game great, the play control. Long live SNES...

The facts of both versions had to survive the gauntlet of issues before them, no issue is "minor", primarily beacuse the games are identical for the most part, hence no details are to small.

Harder hits? Have you not nailed a guy so hard that you go flying back halfway across the ice? That kicks sooo much ass. Try pressing the 'Y' button after. That is so hilarious.

This has nothing to do with harder hits. Mute issue. 1 point for Genesis :D .

What are you talking about? Turn on the sound and listen for yourself. Also look behind the net when you score. That red thing spinning around is called a GOAL LIGHT.

All I hear is a wimpy "beep" after a goal. But perhaps my game is defective. Or perhaps Genesis versions kung-fu is stronger..and there is no horn at the end of a period, just a feeble wistle..Lame

#6. Genesis has highlights from other games: kick ass feature, I love watching these. Even though it's a novelty thing, it still rules. 1 point for Genesis.

So does SNES. Are you ok? :D

Im talking about the CPU playing the CPU during intermissions. Not, scores from other games. Of all the Snes '94 games I've ever played not once have I seen this.

Enough with the graphics already!! :blink:

Had it not been for these "minor" graphical enhancements Genesis would have shattered Snes versions glass jaw early in the 2nd round during the experiment.

Uh, ok? :huh: I love the goalie contol on the SNES. Without it I wonder just how long this game would have lasted. As for hovering around the ice, I thought it was the Genesis version that didn't have skates! :P But at least this is a concern of some substance.

Visually their legs don't move outside of attempting a save. I support all handicapped people, but I don't want a paraplegic defending my net.

Quite simply, I dispute this. I diagree, I just can't believe it. Not you, I believe that you really believe in your game, but about the two games playability. Are we all so brainwashed into our inherent systems that we cannot see otherwise? I used to think this. But not now. I've given the Genesis version many tries over the years. Its not the same at all. It just feels wrong.

This is not objectional. The FPS (frames per second to the layman) is higher, this is a fact, play is down by contact and can not be challenged with a red flag :D . This is why Genesis's version has more fluid animation and controls, and why there is a 1/10th of a second delay with the controls on Snes.

I could play for the rest of my life and never get the same type of goals from the Genesis as I can from the SNES. Just look at these plays again if you have to: http://youtube.com/watch?v=w3YVF4KxBXQ&search=nhl%2094 (shameless plug). Prove me wrong! Genesis guys start recording your goals. I want results. NHL 94 highlight menagerie extravaganza and NHL94 highlights 2003 Olliz remix (NHL 94), I'm sorry, it just didn't do it for me. Not to be mean, or to show off for that matter. It is simply not NHL94 to me. OK for what they are, but no 94.

The vid I slapped together was playing alone. The CPU won't go where I want it to like when playing next to a teammate, you can't direct traffic when playing alone.

As far as performing plays like these against a elite player online...Most of the passing lanes will be clogged by a good defensive player. You may get some tic tack one timers, but doing these kind of plays on a consistent basis is not feasible against a veteran.

As for your "high profile study", it seems it was as well executed as the Bush Administration's investigation into the supposed 9/11 muslim attacks.p

Awww, not nice to take cheap shots hehe. But Canucks fans wouldn't know anything about cheap shots now would they? ;)

For those who prefer a premium '94 with great taste that's less filling...Genesis version is supreme :lol:

ps: It was meant to be in good fun man, don't get all mad.

• 2 weeks later...

I totally Disagree I played NHL 94 for Super Nintendo it was nice seeing all the nice colors and all these added features

but GAME PLAY NOOOOOO WAAAAAAY

it has nothing on the Genesis

it did not feel right playing it on super nes

Whatever this whole gameplay thing.I haven't played online, hopefully sometime next year.

I've playing both systems.Super Nintendo gameplay is better.

This crap about the gameplay of Super Nintendo being delayed from the frame rate or the hitting sucks.

Whatever. What's that about?

I believe system versus system:

SNES WINS!!!!!!!

Ken have you played the NHL94 game on the Super Nintendo system or just online?

Super Nintendo wins for fun factor and game control.Not even close why would you want a game where passes are inconsistent.

It would be great to have a cult of 5 great '94 players playing NHL94 (SNES) as the Vancouver Canucks.

post-269-1172711611.jpg

Believe it or not, the majority of the players here don't like the Snes version as much as the Sega CD or Genesis versions. I have the snes version but I don't like it because it plays so slow and badly compared to the CD version due to the framerate cut. They had to cut the framerate by %50 percent just to make the game playable on the snes because of hardware issues. I have the game mag ad somewhere to prove this but if you have played the game as much as most of us here have, you will prefer the Genny versions over the SNES.

I love the options and the graphics on the SNES, and the fact that you can exit the game should have been added to the CD version. Also, the seperate goalie control button is nice. Overall, hats off to you guys who play ANY version of 94, I for one would rather have an argument over what version on 94 is better then have people come on and say 'NHL 2006 is da bomb!' Ya, someone hand me some napalm so I can pour it over that guy....

They had to cut the framerate by %50 percent just to make the game playable on the snes because of hardware issues.

The frame rate really is the deal breaker for me (and probably many of the gens camp) favoring the Genesis. The inconsistent and low frame rate of the snes version is just an eye strain compared to the silky smooth 60 frames per second of the Genesis. The difference in Frame rate is undeniable. I nearly had a seizure the 1st time I played the snes version. :money:

Look at modern gaming. It's all about frame rate. Benchmarks are driven by frames per second. People upgrade their hardware just to get a smooth frame rate in their games. Same applies to NHL94.

My God here we go again with the graphics again. I'm sorry but shut the F*** up about them already. I've said it before but I guess it needs repeating: Genesis players only seem to care about graphics and looks:

"I love the options and the graphics on the SNES... "from don something.

ENOUGH with the graphics. I'm convinced genesis players care more about the look, the extra features and bl bla bla crap than the game itself.

SNES players are above that and play because the GAME is good. The play control, the amazing passing ability(severly lacking in the genesis by the way) and of course, the quick goalie control. How can you put up with waiting a whole second waiting to pick the goalie? By then its too late!

94!!!!!

I'd like to say a few things here.

1 - There is no "right" answer as to which version is superior. It's all preference and opinion.

2 - Jeff and Case are referring to what's most important to them (the passing and teammate plays). I used to play alot of teammate 94 with my friend and we would go for setups like you guys. Unfortunately, he doesn't play anymore and I don't have many videos of us making plays.

3 - There is a difference between graphics and framerate. The framerate is more important than the graphics, and I think most guys here would agree.

4 - I know what Case means when he says the Genesis is less accurate. Usually in a teammates game, the passing is around 30-45% completed passes (if going for very pretty goals and setups). I have not played the Snes version as teammates with someone, so I cannot say if the Snes is better or worse.

In the end, there can be discussion and arguments about these 2 versions.. but there can't be an answer as to which is "the best". Just statements and facts of certain features. Everyone's different. As long as you understand 94 is the greatest hockey game ever, you're ok. :money:

-Evan

My God here we go again with the graphics again. I'm sorry but shut the F*** up about them already.

When comparing the SNES and the Genesis, Nintendo has always been the system geared towards children, while Sega shot for the more mature demographic. Even today, Nintendo markets towards children. Looks like they are doing a kick ass job.

When comparing the SNES and the Genesis, Nintendo has always been the system geared towards children, while Sega shot for the more mature demographic. Even today, Nintendo markets towards children. Looks like they are doing a kick ass job.

i agree with that,, also the genesis is known to have better sports games overall on the platform..

There is a reason there are tons of Genesis leagues out there, including many in Finland while there is only one[that i know of] snes leagues for NHL 94.

and there must be a reason there are far greater genesis players than snes players.

that reason is GENESIS version is superior.

but its a personal choice no need to go crazy defending the version with your life.

Damn man, it's like I defrocked the Snes or something :money:

As don16086 alluded to the Snes versions frame rate is far lower than the Genesis, though I can't confirm that it's 50% lower.

Jim Simmons and Scott Orr created EA's early NHL series for Genesis first..Then ported them to other consoles. This is especially evident with NHLPA '93 for Snes..The frame rate is abysmal in this game, rendering it unplayable.

As far as the passing in '94 for Genesis: The passes are sensitive so that if you jam the pass button the pass will generaly be off the mark. This was by design though, so that you need to be easy on the pass, kind of like the way a player with soft hands in hockey delivers a crisp pass. I'm not sure if it was Jim's or Scott's idea. But I know it was one of the things thay wanted to include in the series while they were playing the game against each other for hours on end, testing and tuning the original NHL Hockey, when the game was still in it's infancy.

I average 70% passing on 90-100 passes with 5 minuite periods during netplay, and about 80% on 300-350 with 20 minuite periods against the cpu. But honestly I can't say which has (if at all) more accurate passing, I haven't played Snes version enough.

• 3 weeks later...

I grew up playing both versions about equally. The SNES version is definitely playable and fun. Props for the L and R defensive control too.

However, the slap shots on the Genesis are MUCH harder. I notice a huge difference when trying to blast slap shots past the goaline -- on the SNES they simply float and it doesn't really pay to set up big slap shots. It's all about the wrist shots and one-timers.

On the Genesis I can take anyone with a good shot and have a great time blasting pucks past the goalie. Can't do that on the SNES, so the Genesis gets the nod.

NHL93PA (SNES) had great slap shots that rocked the goalie back into the net yet EA decided for

NHL94 (SNES) to have weaker Slap shots yet it improved so much with great goalie control, great game control, great passing and great deking the goalie.

I just think most hockey games have slap shot ability it should be about making great passing plays.

I wish the slap shots were harder.

I believe the ultimate version still hasn't been made with harder slap shots for the Super Nintendo, fake shots, block shots, drop passes,more blood and fighting.Fighting like Blades Of Steel or Hit the Ice.

EA WAKE UP AND MAKE THE ULTIMATE VERSION!!!

The play making ability should be the determining factor not slap shots!!!!!!

post-269-1151373730_thumb.jpg

a game where the computer goalie decides what its goning to let in or not isn't right. you need goalie control to bring the game to that next level of skill...

EDIT: my mistake, i was under the impression gens didnt have goalie control..

There is a reason there are tons of Genesis leagues out there, including many in Finland while there is only one[that i know of] snes leagues for NHL 94.

Yes but keep in mind STIGA is the bubble hockey game of choice in places like Finland, entire countries are dumbed down to liking inferior products.

Main advantage genesis: framerate (of course if you want a great framerate play 2006)

Main advantage SNES: Separate button for goalie control (ie no delay in taking over goalie manually)

In my experience, because of the Genesis' delay in being able to take over your goalie, there is less of an emphasis on manual goaltending than in the SNES.

The manual goalie adds such a huge element to the game. An element missed in every one of the new NHL games and one not quite there in the genesis.

Being able to control a defenceman to cut off the opposing forward from one half of the net, then instantaneously switch to the goalie and block the other half of the net kicks ass. In genesis, by the time you've got control of the goalie, the guy's already put it in the net.

Ya, the framerate's bad, but after a few games ya get used to it.

SNES all the way.

These arguments seem so pointless. It's like saying for example, coke is better than pepsi cause the can looks cooler. The fact of the matter is developers tend to half ass remakes of their games on other consoles. (example: xbox 360 sports games missing content present on current gen systems)

most jews and catholics can't be converted and neither can snes nhl 94 fans. It's what they are used to playing, like your dad still jamming quarters in the galaga machine at your local pizza place. IT WORKS FOR HIM. Thinking LOGICALLY, the electronic arts team had been making hockey games since the sega master system with the game 'championship hockey'. Look it up, bros. So they had more experience in working the with sega consoles. It only makes sense, guys. The genesis version is not superior because the red line looks 'more rederer' than the one in snes. snes isn't better because GC takes a split second longer to access. The frame rate is better on genesis which translates for smoother, less choppy gameplay. If you ask an intelligent average gamer which one looked better and is easier to get used to, they would say genesis. end of argument.

You guys were so offended by clockwize's post, that you made your own pointless list of cosmetic features that don't even matter when it comes to judging a game's superiority to another. Let's just move on with our lives, guys. I'm sure your kid is tired of being picked up two hours after school because youre too busy posting about clockwize's mother because he 'dissed' your baby.

I don't believe that the SNES version is the best but in all honesty, I play it on the Sega CD which if you say is not different enough then the Genny version then you are sadly mistaken.

I don't play the SNES version because it doesn't play as smoothly as the CD version, the framerate is a big factor and the Genny controller makes a better controller even if the Snes has a seperate button for manual goalie activation that doesn't really sell me.

If all you have is the SNES version then by all means play it, but if you want to play with most people here you will find that they prefer the Genny version or the CD version more.

• 4 weeks later...

Genesis:

slow response to button pushing kills it. this is important in fast-paced games!

new teams had the same players as the teams they got them from; lame!

almost impossible to switch to the goalie in time.

SNES:

play control, agility, passing, goalie access; all plusses.

downsides? I guess the framerate is the major weakness, but I'll take a game that I can control over one that makes me wait to see what I tried to do.

also, the SNES version has one goalie for some teams and three for others... that kind of sucks (I forget if the Genesis version has more than just Richter on the Rangers).

consider this: I am a console player; I have both. I play the SNES 1000:1 over the Genesis (meaning I've played the Genesis version ~10 times).

The biggest thing that can't be refuted is User Records, Team Records, and Player Records on Genesis. That is what always made the SNES version feel so hollow and what gives the Genesis version infinitely more replay value.

• 1 month later...

Gotta go with Genesis. Back in 94 I could only play video games if I went to a friend's house or if I rented a console, so I wasn't attached to one system or the other. One weekend I rented a SNES and a copy of NHL94. It seemed choppy and it didn't flow the way I knew it could on the Genesis. I've never gone back to the SNES.

• 5 months later...

Genesis you have to lightly tap the pass button.

Easy on the pass.

Or the pass will be inconsistent.That's puss.

Tap Tap Puss.

So the Super Nintendo's frames per second are not as great as Genesis. Really? <_<

Not!

Whatever!

Could it be fixed Evan?

Super Nintendo is choppy NO!

Genesis is sloppy!

But respect that it's still 94!