NHL'94 Forums

One Player Playoffs, No Goalie

Eman

I love playing NHL94 (Gen). My schedule does not lend itself to committing to a league, I play whenever I need to relax, but I am usually limited to playing solo. Obviously one player games are a bit of a joke, so I would create my own challenges. Things like pulling a player from the playoffs once he scores a certain # of goals, removing all the starters, whatever it takes to make one player games competitive.

My latest challenge has been playing Playoff mode without using a goalie. Sorry if this has been mentioned before, but I think this format has leveled the playing field the best. Although it does change the way you play the game. With no goalie to bail you out, you are very exposed.

In no particular order, here are some things you have to keep in mind when playing an entire game/series/playoff without a goalie:

-Two way players are a must. If you have a forward lacking on the D side, you probably need to sit him.

-Puck possession becomes important. Take a wild shot that laps around the rink probably means a goal the other way.

-How you play defense changes. If you poke check an opponent streaking to the goal with the puck might end up with the puck in your goal anyway.

-Snipers on the wings will flourish in this format. Lean on players like Khristich and Sandstrom

-Dust off that A button. Hook those faster opponents or you will get lit up

-Most of your defense is played in the neutral zone. Once the opponent has some speed going toward your goal, you are toast.

-Offensive defensemen are a liability. Think you can wheel and deal with Housley or Coffey to create some offense? You better bury it, because you will be VERY exposed once the puck goes the other way.

-Who plays your X spot? NHL94 typically uses the Line2 C as the X player (skater taking your goalie's place). Choose wisely. Having a defensive minded C playing X will save you.

I challenge you to win the Stanley Cup with each team at least once. There are some teams that are easier than others, and some that are downright impossible. So far, I have taken DET, CAL, WSH, QUE to the cup (1 game series, 4 wins=Stanley Cup). Can't quite get over the hump with STL, BUF, CHI. WSH was the biggest surprise in this format and turned out to be fairly easy to win with. On the flip side CHI and BOS have been surprisingly difficult. Teams with a strong goalie (MTL, CHI) will be more difficult.

Reply to this thread with your progress