NHL'94 Forums

vga or hdmi

I have hooked up my pc to my hdtv with vga to vga cables.

My pc does not have an hdmi port.

It looks awesome and is fun to play kicked back on the couch with a giant screen.

My question is would hdmi matter?

I've actually done this before & it's a lot of fun, especially w/ the sound cord as well, and the hits blasting from behind w/ a good surround sound. I play most of my games when the kids are in bed, so I rarely get to do this, as it wakes everyone up, and find that I play worse cause everything seems to move a little faster up on the big screen for whatever reason.

That said, everything before you load the game up will obviously look night & day, and you can actually easily read all the screens, forums you load, etc, but the in game, I just found it to have a glossier version of large, ugly looking animation hockey dudes.

Did not make it look like a modern day version of the game at all!

I tend to play via HDMI cable from my laptop to TV often. It's great to sit back on the couch with friends and play. Gens does a great job using TV's from 24 inch to 46 inch on full screen. The only difference is that HDMI is digital and VGA is analog.

We are having a live event at my house and I want everything to be right.

Brutus:

Do you use VGA or HDMI?

How do you mean it moves a lttle faster up on the big screen? Could that be lag?

DC:

Do you think it would matter for lag? VGA or HDMI.

I have heard that both can cause lag and I have heard conflicting stories for which is better for old school gaming.

Any thoughts on using Kega when netplay is not involved?

There is a cord for sound if you use the VGA instead of HDMI. I use both. My VGA cord is like 50 ft, but the sound cord is short, so if I want to play from the couch by the back wall, I use VGA w/ out the sound. If I want the sound, I use the HDMI cord, since I'll be plugging up close anyway. If I can't find the HDMI cord, I use the VGA & sound cord up and pull a chair up to the TV!

Nothing lag related on the movement part though. It's straight perception cause it's up on the big screen on the wall and I think I was sitting too close or something perhaps.

I keep my cable box way the f&ck away from my TV, and run the HDMI cable through the ceiling and down into the wall so you don't actually see I have a cable box in my living room. This some times cause a small amount of lag on the cable feed. So, I imagine if you had a really long HDMI cord and hooked your computer up to the TV from across the room, you might get some lag. Where my cable box is located has nothing to do with how the computer hooks up to the TV, just an example of if you use a really long HDMI cable, you will experience a delay.

The HDMI cord I use is short, and the joystick cord is extended, so I don't get lag playing on my TV. I think you need to take distance into account if you switch to HDMI more so than VGA. I experienced no delays w/ the long VGA.

vga is definitely better than hdmi for lag. Not saying hdmi is bad for lag, it really depends on your t.v. At my house, our LCD's suck total nuts when it comes to game lag. Only our plasma is good for games with hdmi, with both my ps3 and laptop. Hdmi is nice lag wise on my plasma, but vga is almost perfect.

The bottom line is, I think that hdmi looks a little nicer than vga for sure (not that vga looks bad at all), but vga is the way to go because playability matters the most