NHL'94 Forums

Ninety Flow 2014 Playoffs ROM

trudatman

Ninety_Flow2014.png

this is a full playoffs update and I think it's the best and most thorough one yet. I am always seeking help and corrections and comments; if anything at all seems wrong, please report it to me. I'd particularly like it if folks reviewed whole teams for errors in names, numbers, weights and handedness.

if you want to see your player more clearly, you can activate the multitap option and use the shadow colors from the other end of the visible spectrum.

have fun.

---

if you don't agree to every term that follows below, don't download a copy.

[1] - the copy you download is for your non-commercial personal use

[2] - you will not use this file in any way for personal gains beyond entertainment nor will you profit financially from its use

[3] - any possible adverse effects to your computer (and the systems networked with it) that may be the result of downloading and executing the file are your risks that are to be remedied at nobody's expense beyond your own

---

the file was updated on April 23nd, 2014. if you downloaded a copy before then, get this one to replace it: NinetyFlow2014.smc

---

aside from critiques, criticisms, comments and corrections, I'm hoping to get help with:

-changing fatigue and rest rates

-setting player card pictures to match handednesses

-remove uniform colors from stopping snowspray

-getting the team in the West Stars slot to display correctly in the playoffs brackets

-expansion of roster space

-expansion to 30 teams

-figuring out any physics hacks

-getting goalies freed to roam further

-replacing outdated center ice images with invisible, generic or new images

-addition of one space between initial and name in game stars popup, statistics lists

-removal of logos and copyrights

-having a flashing popup after goals and in last two minutes instead of the constant scoreboard overlay

-adding more selectable options when changing lines

-having a time clock with real speed instead of the fast ticking

if you can help me make this thing better, please volunteer your services. if this ROM can help you develop your skills/projects, please use it in any way that you see fit, short of pulling a profit.

---

unless you are a gaming-with-a-keyboard master, you'll want to use a gamepad, or this game will be quite difficult to operate. here are the controls, based on the standard SNES controller:

control.jpg

L = left defenseman control

R = right defenseman control

u, l, r, d = up, left, right, down directional movement

X = goaltender control

Y = dive, stand up, flip toss, hook, hold, vogue

A = stack pads, skate, check, shoot, kill

B = pass, player selection, poke check, steal, trip

s = line change

S = start, menu

---

NinetyFlow2014 is available for the purpose of preservation and archival reproduction and is protected under ruling 1201 of the Digital Millennium Copyright Act, 11/27/06. the administratively created anti-circumvention exemption amendment is applicable to this file as stated in the Digital Millennium Copyright Act H.R. 2281: "computer programs and video games distributed in formats that have become obsolete and that require the original media or hardware as a condition of access, when circumvention is accomplished for the purpose of preservation or archival reproduction of published digital works by a library or archive. a format shall be considered obsolete if the machine or system necessary to render perceptible a work stored in that format is no longer manufactured or is no longer reasonably available in the commercial marketplace." the hardware required to operate NinetyFlow2014 and its technology have been obsolete and commercially unavailable for well over a decade. the cessation of development and production of said obsolete hardware indisputably aligns NinetyFlow2014 with the anti-circumvention exemption amendment.

Edited by trudatman

Great job on the 2014 hack! I love the updated rosters (Gaborik in an LA jersey!). Is there any way to display the P1 star or #/position? That's the only thing I miss (I know most hacks omit the P1 icon....grrrrr).

THANKS AGAIN DUDE!

I'm pretty sure nobody else does that. feel free to add them back. it shouldn't be very hard. I haven't tried LA, yet. how were they?

edit: I tried LA last night. they are good, but don't underestimate the Sharks! a tip: use the Kings' backup goalie.

Edited by trudatman

that reminds me....general tips:

-to see your player more clearly use player two, four or five

-consider backup goalies and called up substitutes who may be hot

-try pokechecking -- instead of burstchecking -- and/or taking the last faceoff of your powerplay with your fourth line and/or calling your time out to quell fatigue issues

-use all of the defense control buttons

-know your team down to individuals' positions, strengths and weaknesses

I'm going to do a speed ratings revamp and fix a few things and set the playoffs better in about a month. get your comments and suggestions in! oh, and here's a thing: http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1625413

there is no season mode (in '94, at all), but there is a postseason which gives you a password after each game played, so you can come back later without having to leave the game running while you are away. the first year I did this, I spent the time getting passwords for the playoffs as they progressed in real life. what a task that was, hoping each time I played a game that the other teams would advance as they should. anyway, no questions are dumb questions when you are new. welcome and have fun around here!

I'm having trouble getting help with Florida player speeds. does anybody here feel like they know that team well enough to rate/rank players for speed (burst and top combined) to help me with the playoffs update?

okay, got the whole speed revision thing figured out. the next few weeks are going to involve some serious work in order to prepare a playoffs update. if anybody want to get involved by offering advice/assistance, let me know.

o

oh.

probably. there is a whole section of the ROM devoted to songs and sound effects, but I have yet to attempt tackling any of that. I don't recall if it is covered in the ROM mapping thread. it isn't even something I have given more than a passing thought to. if anybody knows more about that, I'd give it a try. seems like the consensus is that both sounds should be changed. it's low priority for me, but I'd give it a go if somebody can help.

by the way, what's up with those Leafs? I'd say they were playing for a high draft pick, but that's not right. suck, suck, suck your way out of the playoffs, boys!

Edited by trudatman

• 2 weeks later...

working on a playoffs update. anything I need to address?

working on a playoffs update. anything I need to address?

I have not done a serious critical critique by any means, but seems great from what I can see- player ratings and everything that I have checked all look spot on. My only gripe is how impossible it is for me (since I am on Mac) to get a different color indicator under my player (orange would be nice, but the default blue is a bit too subtle for my liking). I usually know who I am, but I still get lost once or twice per period.

....My only gripe is how impossible it is for me (since I am on Mac) to get a different color indicator under my player....

I play on a Mac and I can do it. what does the Mac have to do with it?

step one: activate the multitap emulator in the options across the top of the emulator menu bar

step two: set the player one buttons to stuff you don't use, like the keyboard buttons you never hit

step three: set the player five buttons to use your regular buttons/controller

step four: play

I play on a Mac and I can do it. what does the Mac have to do with it?

step one: activate the multitap emulator in the options across the top of the emulator menu bar

step two: set the player one buttons to stuff you don't use, like the keyboard buttons you never hit

step three: set the player five buttons to use your regular buttons/controller

step four: play

I tried that- I think I messed up the keyboard entry system. I was using 5 but the indicator is red; I wanted to use orange. So, I went to player 4, and did the edits, but now every time I go to the log in screen I see players 1,4,5 always wanting to log in. I get stuck on menus, so I deleted the game, and then re DL'ed hoping to just get a re-set and undo the edits that I made in this multi tap. However, deleting the file and re-DLing did not lead to a reset. So, I am trying to find the undeleted files, so I can start over.

So I deleted everything then tried to start over, but still having problems. All 3 players- 1,4,5 all want to log in, and I am playing with stiffs just standing there on the ice. I cannot figure out how to get the guys I do not want to play with to log out. I assign nonsense keys to the left and right directionals on my D pad for players 1 and 5, but I just cannot get rid of players 1 and 5 wanting to join me.

Edited by Cosmic

weird. did you delete and reload the emulator? and red wasn't good enough for you?!

update coming VERY soon.

updated.

I shut down then turned on my computer, and it went back to letting me just be player 1. I do not like red because I always use either CHI or NYR, and both of these teams have significant red. Neither has orange, so I figured orange is the winner.

thanks. I will correct that soon. hit me with anything else you notice, please!

everybody is encouraged to pick this thing apart. find errors and report them to me. it really bothers me that I have Pouliot backward and I have probably made similar mistakes with other players. please review a team or three by pulling up NHL.com roster/player pages and checking stuff.

Edited by trudatman

fixed a few things that might add up to be enough that y'all would want the new one to replace the last one. thanks for the Pouliot correction. I also noticed an error in the COL defensive penalty killers while I was putting Sarich in for Barrie. there might be more of these things to tweak, so check back on occasion. hit me with more tips if you have them. holler.

spittake.png

Edited by trudatman

• 2 weeks later...

anybody find any other issues?

yeah, he sure is. and a few others have come and/or gone. if I do another update, it will probably be for the finals and would only make simple corrections for the eliminated teams and give the finals teams more complete revampings.

great goal by Kreider tonight. sorry he isn't there. the Rangers are one of the most shallow rosters in the original game. they had what, 1, 13 and 7? and most of their dudes had pretty short names. I would have loved to hold a spot for Kreider because he's the guy most likely to rejoin the team when he's down and/or out. if somebody can help me with roster expansion, I'd like to learn it. the one guy who was doing it hasn't responded to my inquiries and I just don't understand it well enough to figure it out on my own. if/when I do figure it out, I'll have to make it the last step for every update -- after a few careful preparation steps done in the editor -- because it breaks compatibility with the editor and I am definitely not continuing this project without the editor. blah, blah, blah. I wish Chrissy Kreider was there, too.

....a tip: use the Kings' backup goalie.

it's looking like the coach should be more willing to make the choice that seems so glaringly obvious to me. well, the coach makes the roster calls, but y'all can select backups and substitutes when they are available. Quick is very much overrated.

• 3 weeks later...

so... if I do a final update, what would I do besides roster/line updates for the final two teams? is there anything I need to fix in the rest of the thing? anybody notice any errors? PLEASE repsond if you have anything to contribute.

• 2 weeks later...

I never did add Chrissy Kreider back in. lame.

well, the next update is the easiest major one, as I'll leave everybody's ratings alone and just work on newcomers and set lines. it should be done in the first month or so of the next season.

here's the thing, though: I really need a hacking partner. this project needs some innovation. it's the only "updated rosters" hack for the SNES that has had any constance, but it lack some punch, some newness, some polishing. what might partners do?

-ASM hacking - player physics, clock speed, the real stuff

-pointer work - roster expansion, ice graphics updates, more player tile edits, the cool stuff

-alternate versions - two-on-two releases, multiplayer versions with big glaring icons, the popular stuff

-betatesting - reviewing, fact checking, bug hunting, the importants stuff

I'm going to keep doing what I do, but it's really not enough. the SNES crew deserves a better hack. they deserve innovations and improvements. they deserve a team of dedicated enthusiasts willing to work together. I'd even be willing to pay for services mentioned above. can you help? do you know somebody who can? take some action. don't worry that it won't go anywhere, because I'm a motivated coordinator for such a project and I'm almost definitely going to keep doing this thing anyway.

thanks for reading this. questions, comments and critiques are always welcomed.