NHL'94 Forums

What if there is no spring classic?

Seano7302

I've heard rumors about spring classic being cancelled. What will happen if these are true? Will there be leagues other than GDL and blitz for people like me who aren't currently in them, but on wait list? I've run one league before and would be happy to do another. But would need to use the on 94online site for the uploader. We used a spreadsheet last time and it was mayhem.

There will be no Spring Classic this year. There are too many leagues going on, and Spring Classic turnout is never that good to begin with (compared to Fall). We might do something though, like a tournament. I have to talk about it with KingRaph. I'll post when we figure it out.

Are you guys only talking about gens or both systems? As far as I know there aren't any SNES leagues currently running and I guarantee we could get 15-20 dependable players to sign up for spring.

Edited by NorthwayNative

How about some sort of expanded Olympics/Soccer world cup format on Gens with a few small groups & then playoffs?

Basically if you had B players plus King, Icestorm & maybe 2 or 3 other A players you'll be fine in terms of commitment levels

Edited by LA Robbie

Classic is like the flagship league of this community...there has to be a spring season! Why not hold signups to at least see what the turnout is and then if it's not good enough, maybe decide to cancel the season?

I know on the SNES side of things at least, there's enough vets that will come back around once they see that the ball is rolling on the next season...

Edited by Oilers442

Classic is like the flagship league of this community...there has to be a spring season! Why not hold signups to at least see what the turnout is and then if it's not good enough, maybe decide to cancel the season?

I know on the SNES side of things at least, there's enough vets that will come back around once they see that the ball is rolling on the next season...

Exactly. Open it up to sign-ups & perhaps evaluate who you're gonna let play: i.e. Someone like Carse maybe you stipulate that he completes another league before he plays classic again (Sorry Carse, just an example)

Don't know about anyone else but cancelling Spring classic seems like a major indicator of a community dying out? :-(

That would be very sad. Gotta have a Spring classic!!!!

Exactly. Open it up to sign-ups & perhaps evaluate who you're gonna let play: i.e. Someone like Carse maybe you stipulate that he completes another league before he plays classic again (Sorry Carse, just an example)

Don't know about anyone else but cancelling Spring classic seems like a major indicator of a community dying out? :-(

That would be very sad. Gotta have a Spring classic!!!!

After noticing the difference in quality between 2013 Spring Classic and 2013 Fall Classic it was clear that GENS classic didn't have it anymore.

The days when I could sign on and see more than just one person online have passed. Before I could sign on and see :

TomKabs

Houly

kupuck

HABS

Zalex

Carse

Wookiee

Sebe

Icestorm

Pearate

Alonzi

Robbie

Now :

Houly

jackandjose

:(

To be fair, some people have a dedicated aim name for this game, and if they're not in the mood for exhibs with just anyone, they may leave their name signed off. I frequently do this. I have a ton of games against HeatRash/kero5hin, but barely any otherwise. I always come out for the league play, though.

If NHL94.com wont do it then snesot.com will ;)

What about gens guys?

What about gens guys?

You guys could always learn to play a new retro hockey video game called NHL 94 SNES version. Some even say it's a more polished game with better features than NHL 94 on Genesis.

I know that idea might sound crazy, but you may even end up liking it!

...but in all seriousness, SNES really needs classic because no other leagues are going on. So that's great to hear about snesot.com, Kashim :)

You guys could always learn to play....NHL 94 SNES....a more polished game with better features than NHL 94 on Genesis....

well, Seano123456789101112 started on SNES. I hope there is no Genesis league this season so people actually give the SNES version a real chance to impress them.

well, Seano123456789101112 started on SNES. I hope there is no Genesis league this season so people actually give the SNES version a real chance to impress them.

It's all a Trudatman/Halifax/Chaos conspiracy to get some snes love!.........................They only had to eliminate the Gens version to do it!

It's all a Trudatman/Halifax/Chaos conspiracy to get some snes love!.........................They only had to eliminate the Gens version to do it!

I'd buy a Hali/SNESOT conspiracy theory... but it would have been a backdoor deal behind Chaos' back. ...trudatman wouldn't have a say (or even care) in classic or any other league because he won't man up and join a league :D

yeah, it's still not about manning up. it's about not wanting to play people onlag. it doesn't interest me enough to invest in a good Internet connection just to get mad about how it sucks compared to actually playing. desync! schedule! Plabax! no, thanks. y'all can come over for games anytime, though.

yeah, it's still not about manning up. it's about not wanting to play people onlag. it doesn't interest me enough to invest in a good Internet connection just to get mad about how it sucks compared to actually playing. desync! schedule! Plabax! no, thanks. y'all can come over for games anytime, though.

Funny comment. You know desyncs are very rare and you have more than enough time to follow a schedule. Then I am one of the reasons you don't play online, although you had been ducking league play for 5 years before I joined this community.

Go get a internet connection and do something else rather than invest your time in NinetyFlow because everytime you post about your stupid games the same question comes to everybody's mind :

"Who in the world plays NinetyFlow?"

How can you love a game so much that you are willing to waste months and months of your life for it, yet playing others online (why 95% of us are here) does not interest you?

The desyncs definitely happen on gens. Even with a reliable player, I've had it in probably 20% of our gens games. It has happened maybe once in Zsnes.

I think the scheduling is the worst part of the leagues. Some people are on all the time, but the vast majority have real world obligations that they can't be away from and you have to schedule around. It's tough. I think that's why I like the exhibs more, even though I always end up playing just one guy (kero5hin).

because, Plabby, I have no interest in your drama and dealing with people acting like gradeschoolers from the comfort of their own living rooms.

you want to throw controllers and pull plugs? you wouldn't dare do it in person.

you want to get all dramatic about folks being online but avoiding you? wouldn't be a problem in person.

you want to claim it's 5 to 2 on your screen while it's 4 to 3 on mine? couldn't be a problem in person.

I've played thousands of games on '94 (on both major systems); I'm in no hurry to get onlag to see how much it sucks in comparison. I'm here to make the game better (for me), not worse. I've been playing the game for twenty years. playing some chump from far away isn't worth the hassles of figuring out getting connected only to be frustrated by the inherent delays of long-distance gaming. you will not convince me that it is the same as playing on one system.

also, I don't give a quarter of a shit if you like my hack or not. I make it for myself and share it because I think it's the right thing to do. sharing it also leads to feedback and improvements and corrections.

go get worked up about something else. don't you have a league to ruin?

because, Plabby, I have no interest in your drama and dealing with people acting like gradeschoolers from the comfort of their own living rooms.

you want to throw controllers and pull plugs? you wouldn't dare do it in person.

you want to get all dramatic about folks being online but avoiding you? wouldn't be a problem in person.

you want to claim it's 5 to 2 on your screen while it's 4 to 3 on mine? couldn't be a problem in person.

I've played thousands of games on '94 (on both major systems); I'm in no hurry to get onlag to see how much it sucks in comparison. I'm here to make the game better (for me), not worse. I've been playing the game for twenty years. playing some chump from far away isn't worth the hassles of figuring out getting connected only to be frustrated by the inherent delays of long-distance gaming. you will not convince me that it is the same as playing on one system.

also, I don't give a quarter of a shit if you like my hack or not. I make it for myself and share it because I think it's the right thing to do. sharing it also leads to feedback and improvements and corrections.

go get worked up about something else. don't you have a league to ruin?

So instead of acting like a child by playing, you do it here by posting moronic non sense.

Hey guys I've never tried something, but I'm pretty damn sure it sucks balls!

30 MS is way too bad for me, even if the naked eye can't detect the delay LOL! I'll still pretend it recks my experience of playing a 20 year old bot system!

I can't get my computers to do anything online within a second, never mind a fraction of a second.

I guess I should clarify that I meant that I've played thousands of games of NHL '94 against humans. believe it or don't, but the hassle of trying to get the whole thing set up just to "reck" somebody else's day with my terrible cable connection doesn't seem worth the effort. y'all can have your drama and other frustrations.

I live on the Mason-Dixon line right at the edge of the Atlantic Ocean. drop by for a fair game any time.

I'm cool with you not wanting to play online, and if I'm ever in your region, maybe I'll send you a message.

For me, online gaming is my only option. My friends don't live nearby, we've all moved from our native towns. The closest friend I have now is about a 2 hour car ride, but it's easier for us to go online and play. We also don't have any of the he-said she-said BS because we've known each other forever. I also don't have room for old systems to lay around, so it's easier for me to load it up on Zsnes.

I get where you're coming from with playing strangers, though. It's tough to know when to catch people, or know what you can/cannot say to them to set them off, or know if they're a stand up person, a good sport, whatever. I mean, there's a reason that almost all of my games have been against Kero5hin.