NHL'94 Forums

Drafting Players

roccopan

Drafting Players  

10 members have voted

1. 1. Drafting players for your team (hypathetically speaking)?

• Yes, that would be more fun!
    • No, that takes away from the TRUE game.

I'm just curious what people think around here. NOT suggesting this is how it should be done here, just asking out of curiosity.

I know there is another league going on that does this with lesser teams. I'm just curious if people thing a league like that takes away from the authenticity of the game, or whether people think it would be better and more fun to draft and even up the teams.

ASSUME that it was possible to get everyone online at the same time to do the draft.

I definately think its more fun. But, I'm not so sure that I would recommend this for the NHL94online.com league. The reason is that the league is simply too large.

It would take a lot of effort to coordinate a 24 team draft. NHL94.net held an 8 team draft. It lasted for over 2 hours. Imagine if we doubled the amount of coaches.

Another idea is a draft sheet. The draft sheet would be submitted before the draft and the commisioner would just go through the lists. I've done this once in a league of Chicago area players / friends and it worked well.

Once the initial leg work is done, it's great. In fact it f@#$ing rocks.

Can we have a third option in the poll, C: Drafts are really f**king boring?

What is it that you don't like about it? Is it the actual process of drafting? Or the whole concept of custom rosters?

Cuz damn, you woulda made a great addition to the .net league. It's probably unlikely, but would love to have you next season.

What is it that you don't like about it? Is it the actual process of drafting? Or the whole concept of custom rosters?

Cuz damn, you woulda made a great addition to the .net league. It's probably unlikely, but would love to have you next season.

I think the thing I hate most about being involved in an actual draft is that I never leave satisfied because I didn't get everything that I want. I mean, I understand that concept going in, but that still doesn't improve matters for me. And then you have to wait f**king forever for your pick to come up, and after your brief flurry of activity, it's back to sitting there and waiting. There's no way I would have sat through the 2.5 hour draft for the .net league without going insane and getting my fiancee extremely pissed off at me.

I also hate pouring over lists of players to decide whom I want to draft.

Custom rosters are fine as long as there's some sensibility to the ratings.

That takes all the fun out of drafting. How could you not love sitting there laughing to yourself as your sleepers go unpicked round after round and you swoop in and steal another vital part of your team?

If there is a draft it Has to be offline, which each player submitting there top 50 picks or whatever to evan, who conducts it offline

Certainly not true. Hypothetically speaking.... let me set up an scenario:

The draft was done online via a Java Applet (exactly what you'd have at a typical poker website for example).

Then each team would get a log in, and could either choose to auto draft (which would basically select the top player available that meets your need at that time - position, speed, checking, etc) or to be part of the live draft.

If you're live drafting, you'd have like 1 minute to make your pick or else it goes into auto draft mode and picks the best available player.

So now you've covered the people who like to draft, people who don’t like to draft (auto-draft), as well as limit the time the draft would take (auto drafting is done instantaneously) and evened the teams in the process.

SO, that in mind (and trust me, I'm not talking about anything that’s not possible given someone wanted to spend the time to develop such an application).... would that change your answer to the question?

Again, TOTALLY HYPATHETICAL, I'm not insinuating that Evan should develop such an application, or that this is how the league should operate, I'm just curious for my own sake.

Certainly not true. Hypothetically speaking.... let me set up an scenario:

The draft was done online via a Java Applet (exactly what you'd have at a typical poker website for example).

Then each team would get a log in, and could either choose to auto draft (which would basically select the top player available that meets your need at that time - position, speed, checking, etc) or to be part of the live draft.

If you're live drafting, you'd have like 1 minute to make your pick or else it goes into auto draft mode and picks the best available player.

So now you've covered the people who like to draft, people who don’t like to draft (auto-draft), as well as limit the time the draft would take (auto drafting is done instantaneously) and evened the teams in the process.

SO, that in mind (and trust me, I'm not talking about anything that’s not possible given someone wanted to spend the time to develop such an application).... would that change your answer to the question?

Again, TOTALLY HYPATHETICAL, I'm not insinuating that Evan should develop such an application, or that this is how the league should operate, I'm just curious for my own sake.

Rocco I think I'm with you on this one as a full draft like that would make for pretty much the fairest teams possible. Having said that there's something I like about having the original rosters, and I think it is simply that its always been what I've grown up on. I know that Verbeek is going to be slow as ass, but I'm gonna deke your pants off anyhow :D

I know your question is in the hypothetical realm, but in order to make something like that a possibilty itd take a hell of a lot of work; both coding the java applet you suggested and then modifying the rom to give each team the proper players. Definately an interesting idea though man.

Having said that there's something I like about having the original rosters, and I think it is simply that its always been what I've grown up on. I know that Verbeek is going to be slow as ass, but I'm gonna deke your pants off anyhow

That was more or less what I wanted to know. I had mixed feeling myself, at first I was like "a draft would be so fun", but then on the other hand, it's the game we grew up on.

It's been a long time since I was into any serious Java prgoramming, so I'm just fishing for a project I think. :D