NHL'94 Forums

NHL 94 dictionary (or slang)

Ive made my contribution Mario Golfing - the act of being eliminated from video hockey cup championship

Sweeney - greatest hit of the game

Ive made my contribution Mario Golfing - the act of being eliminated from video hockey cup championship

I dispute the utility of this one.

Tick goal (courtesy of our friend backhandfloater) - A goal scored by threatening to score by skating across the crease and shooting past the keeper, allowing the human opponent to take control of the keeper and skate to the far side of the net, and then pulling back and flipping the puck into the now-empty near side of the net

"Pure Sanderson"

If a guy scores a one-timer goal on a pass that he shouldn't have been able to touch due to another player being in the way, this is pure Sanderson. The term comes from the god-like game Sanderson had in a league a friend and I made, scoring 6 goals. Sanderson one-timed a pass for a goal while being covered by THREE guys. He just stuck a stick through the crowd and slapped it in, and from quite a ways away from the net, too.

The term can also be used when a player miraculously pulls in a pass despite being covered by a guy between him and the passer.

"Lobster" (verb)

When you check a guy and he falls on his face and slides to the north or south, he looks like a lobster, so he is "lobstering." His arms/gloves look like a lobster's claws.

"Superman" (verb)

When you check and guy into the boards and he flies out across the rink in the opposite direction, arms outstretched like Superman, this this is "Supermaning."

"Instant Revenge"

Sometimes, when you check a guy over, he gets up again almost immediately and can take "instant revenge" on the player who knocked him over.

There's:

"The deke" I lost my NHL '94 virginity scoring this way.

"The backhandfloater" named after the '94 pioneer backhandfloater.

"The sweet spots" The *counts fingers* 4 or 5 areas where slappers are guaranteed to find the twine.

"Superman" (verb)

When you check and guy into the boards and he flies out across the rink in the opposite direction, arms outstretched like Superman, this this is "Supermaning."

My absolute favourite. ;) Did it to the comp last night. Almost boards to boards.

The 5'er - More of a 93 thing but passing the puck for 5 hole goals. Still found a bit in 94.

I've seen guys superman the entire width of the rink : )

Short story here, then a new term!

My favourite lobster/superman was after a goal when playing aganist a friend of mine. One of us scored a goal (I forget who), then the other nailed one of the scoring team's players into the end-boards. The player Lobstered all the way out to the blue line, then, as soon as he crossed the blueline, he got up and raised his stick and arms above his head in celebration of the goal. He looked like a gymnast who totally messed up a stunt, but got up and did the arms-up-in-air thing gymnasts do at end of a routine to show off to the judges. Laughed..so.. hard..

--

"Grand Slam Goal"

When you score a goal and then check all 5 of your opponent's players to the ice. This is VERY rare, since they guys must be lined up nicely for you, and since your guy is cheering, you don't get much time to dole out the punishment. I've only noticed myself do it once. Checking the same guy twice doesn't count as two checks -- it must be all 5 unique players. Note: They don't all have to be lying on the ice at the same time; it's ok if they get up, as long as you don't hit the same guy again and count it as two checks.

I think this name ("grand slam goal") is a bit weak, though, considering the magnitude of the feat. Can anyone think of a better name?

I was using "back hand floater" before I joined this forum - was very nice to see the username!

others:

"the move"

"deke"

"crossover"

as for Mario Golfing, KGman...you better hope to avoid Detroit ;):D:D

• 2 weeks later...
I was using "back hand floater" before I joined this forum - was very nice to see the username!

It's funny. I've had the AIM name backhandfloater since the introduction of aol instant messenger in the 90s. Everytime I give someone my screen name they ask "What is backhandfloater?" Fast Forward 10 years later I find a slew of people that I don't have to explain it's meaning!

BTW: Ken, within the few games we've played, I've witnessed your backhand floats. Very impressive!

"The Gorilla" or "Gor", Has to be added into the '94 book of ebonics. It's when a player who uses manual goalie dives all over the pond with reckless abandon.

It's coined after caseclosed27 / Gorilla, for his helter skelter agressive style of goalie control. Someone who; if evaluated by a professional, would probably diagnose him as a compulsive goalie conrtroller :) .

Good point, clockwise, good point...

But I'm gonna go with these:

Rape- see Playing Tickenest

Playing Tickenest - the process of losing all self-esteem and dignity in 15 minutes or less while playing NHL 94. It is also known to cause hemmoraging, epileptic seizures, hemorroids and/or chronic diarrehea (usually both) in some individuals.

Rammer - continously running into the goalie on breakaways and odd man rushes to force the puck in the net. see Homosexuality.

More to come later. After i've had a few.

How about the "Wigs"?

Wigs - (Also known as "The Wigglies") When you skate down the rink with the puck making a ridiculous amount of unnecessary dekes. I usually do this during games for comic relief.

How about the "Wigs"?

Wigs - (Also known as "The Wigglies") When you skate down the rink with the puck making a ridiculous amount of unnecessary dekes. I usually do this during games for comic relief.

hahah

the wigglies used to be my trademark..when i used to play with my pals on nhl 2001 for psx I did constant wigglies, its pretty cool though.

wigglies must be a universal term. -the "wiggly dekes"

i like to do em in 94 too.

Murkulan vippi (aka. keg toss in strongman contests)- that's when you're behing the net and lob the puck over the net and someone puts it to empty net.

Murkulan vipeistä jaloin (a noble way to do keg toss)- same as above but the player who lobs the puck is the same who finally puts it to empty net. This is pretty hard to do so you should use some fast skater.

You must love these Finnish terms :blink:

• 3 weeks later...

"Grand Slam Goal"

When you score a goal and then check all 5 of your opponent's players to the ice. This is VERY rare, since they guys must be lined up nicely for you, and since your guy is cheering, you don't get much time to dole out the punishment. I've only noticed myself do it once. Checking the same guy twice doesn't count as two checks -- it must be all 5 unique players. Note: They don't all have to be lying on the ice at the same time; it's ok if they get up, as long as you don't hit the same guy again and count it as two checks.

I think this name ("grand slam goal") is a bit weak, though, considering the magnitude of the feat. Can anyone think of a better name?

REPLY: Thomas in Detroit MI

Nothing wrong with Grand-Slam. My friend's contribution to the lexicon included calling it a Ram's Horn, which I tweaked to Horn of Plenty at a later date. Later, I finally settled on AROUND THE HORN. Which I liked best, although I'm sure there is a better one out there.

"The Gorilla" or "Gor", Has to be added into the '94 book of ebonics. It's when a player who uses manual goalie dives all over the pond with reckless abandon.

It's coined after caseclosed27 / Gorilla, for his helter skelter agressive style of goalie control. Someone who; if evaluated by a professional, would probably diagnose him as a compulsive goalie conrtroller :P .

I love gorilla/gor!!! Although I've called it the sprawling or the sprawl, since the mid nineties, I admit I like Gorilla better!