NHL'94 Forums

NHL 82-83-84 ROM

NYI80-83

I created a ROM based on players from the earliest seasons I can remember, 82-83 and 83-84. Attaching an Excel sheet that explains the ROM and why I created it in the way I did. Thank you to everyone on the forum who has created and explained the tools to allow me to create this. The base for the ROM is Coach Mac's Hockey Night ROM, thank you! It's actually largely been done for a couple weeks, but I've gone back in here and there to change graphics but I don't really know what I'm doing in that realm! Was able to paste in some banners successfully for a few additional teams I included.

I created an Excel Sheet to go with this but it won't attach! Will try to copy and paste it into separate post!

NHL 82-83-84 Rom.bin

Notes on ROM:

NHL '82-83-84' - ROM NOTES Thank You! To everyone on the forum who's contributions made creating this ROM possible Particular thank you to Wboy, Smozona and anyone else responsible for the creation and posting of NOSE and other resources And to CoachMac for his guidance on the forum -- and his Hockey Night 30-team Rom which was used as the base for this ROM

Rosters

Rosters are a Composite of '82-83 & '83-84. Each team has 12 Forwards, 7 Defencemen and 2 Goalies These are not intended to be exact representations of any particular of these seasons Teams 21 of the era + the Cleveland Barons, Colorado Rockies and Atlanta "Firebirds" (there are also mini California & Seattle teams in the ROM) Cleveland, Colorado and Atlanta are comprised of players who played there prior to relocation or merging. The Wales Conference & Campbell Conference are on it twice just to fill up the 30. Each All-Star team has at least 1 representative from every team in their conference (including Cleveland, Colorado & Atlanta). That's why Tapio Levo gets the nod!

Uniforms: Largely as they were at the time though I adjusted the design of a few (eg Atlanta - to differ from Calgary)

Factors That Determined How I Rated Players:

a) their actual real-life stats & reputation

b] effected by my impressions of certain players at that the time - I was 5-6 years old! - team assignment sometimes influenced by cards I remember

c) was most concerned with teams being of a certain quality level > rating players accurately. Not that effort wasn't put into the latter.

d) I play NHL '93 without a goalie; no line-changes. How I rated players was effected considerably by this.

Weight Bug Fix is utilized.

To make weight a factor in overall rating I used Endurance as a Mirror Rating of Weight (since no line changes negates Endurance)

Defencemen:

220 LB = 100 END (Generally reserved for the best defencemen)

204 LB = 86 END (Very good defencemen)

196 LB = 66 END (Decent defencemen)

188 LB = 33 END (Generally reserved for offensive defencemen - won't knock down a lot of guys, but not easily knocked down themselves)

180 LB = 20 END (Weaker defencemen)

Forwards

204 LB = 100 END (Selke types and a few "Super-Power" Forwards (e.g Secord, Kerr, Gillies)

196 LB = 86 END (Power Forwards)

188 LB = 66 END (High Skilled Players - won't knock down many, but not knocked down often either)

180 LB = 33 END (Decent to Lesser Forwards - though in some cases I made stars super fast but at this weight (Gartner, Maruk, Ciccarelli)

164 LB = 0 END (Good luck staying on your feet boys -- though a few of these guys are capable on offence - ie Doug Smail 100 Speed)

Checking & Aggressiveness

My understanding is that each determines how often the AI tries to check. Wanting the AI to attempt to check often - - to make it more difficult to win and simply more fun to play - guys were given only three different ratings - 100 = hardest to play against, 80 and 53

Roughness (The Pass-Shoot Bias)

If the AI shoots too often it'll tilt the balance too much in the favour of the computer when I play without the goalie. Therefore almost every player is rated at 46 The "Selke" types and some power forwards were given a 0 or a 20; since they'll be hard to knock down I didn't want them to be scoring machines when in the computer's control. The more they pass away their scoring chances the less an unwanted offensive force they'll be Some defencemen were given a 66 - as I do want them to be dangerous offensively against me (Bourque, Coffey etc.)

Defencemen - Agility, Speed, Stickhandling, Passing

I made good stay at home defencemen decent to strong in these categories as I figure it'll make them better at clearing the zone

Goalie Ratings:

I really don't know what makes goalies good so I didn't put too much thought in to these beyond the Overall Rating of each tender. Goaltending is the least important position when playing with an empty net against the computer

How I Will Use This Rom

On the original Genesis game I used to play seasons.. Mini-rosters were randomly selected each season for each team and I played every game of the year controlling the home team with an empty net . I plan to re-create this with these rosters

Each team will have 5 forwards, 3 Defencemen and 1 Goalie Each Season The random selection of players means that good teams can have off-seasons and bad teams can have good ones *for example I remember on the original game the usually weak North Stars made a run to the final only to lose to the perennial powerhouse Canadiens. Minnesota imitating their real-life Cinderella run from the 90'91 year

Format Four 6-team divisions -

12game seasons (4 games vs other conference, 3 games vs other division in conference, 1 game each vs division rival (5)

Wales Conference

Adams: Boston, Buffalo,Hartford, Montreal, Quebec and Cleveland (good luck Barons)

Patrick: New Jersey, NY Islanders, NY Rangers, Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, Washington

Campbell Conference:

Norris: Chicago, Detroit, Minnesota, St. Louis, Toronto and Atlanta (out of place in the West just like the Braves & Falcons in the 80's)

Smythe:Calgary, Edmonton, Los Angeles, Vancouver, Winnipeg and Colorado

Why?

Thisis similar to how I played it back in the day. Actually a lot of the motivation comes from my first hockey gaming experience Sporttime "Superstar Ice Hockey" on the Commodore 64. You played 4, 7 or 11 game seasons and top 2 teams in each division made the playoffs. Teams in the game progressed (or regressed) from season to season just as they do in this set-up of NHL '93.

Edited by NYI80-83

cool. thanks for putting in the work. here's to folks enjoying it.

Think I got the Excel Sheet to Save as an HTML file

1. Notes

2. Rosters

3. Team Overall Ratings

4. Team Rankings

If it doesn't work someone explain why I'm not allowed to post an Excel file - and how to work around it?

NHL 82-83-84.htm

Edited by NYI80-83

Does not work for me, have you tried to zip that excel file and then attach that zip file to your post?

Excel file types are not allowed on the forums, your best bet is to do what Kiba suggested -- zip it first and then post.

Thank you. Let's see if this works. Included the ROM in the Zip as well.

NHL 82-83-84.zip

• 2 weeks later...

NYI80-83,

You are completely nuts!

And I mean that in the best way possible on a site devoted to 20 something year old video games.

I love your blog.

We need you in our next 93 league!

Awesome completely Awesome!

I love your format.

NYI80-83,

You are completely nuts!

And I mean that in the best way possible on a site devoted to 20 something year old video games.

I love your blog.

We need you in our next 93 league!

Awesome completely Awesome!

I love your format.

Hahaha thanks.

I will state for the record, I am gainfully employed. No girlfriend at present though which does free up time to labour over the shot accuracy rating of Dave Hindmarch.

Edited by NYI80-83

NHL 82-83-84 RomB.bin

I made some changes to your rom that you might like.

Personalized Start up screen.

Improved some Banners and made you a Campbell and Wales.

Got rid of Double All Star teams.

Made it so Playoffs won't freeze up.

Updated Ron Barr intro page.

Fixed some team names that were to long and screwing up Menu page.

Anybody as crazy as you deserves an amazing rom.

If you want me to do anything else I can give it a shot.

Thought about getting all teams in Alpha order but decided that was more than I want to do.

Set all teams Home Ice advantage to 0.

Set all teams sim data to 43.

Edited by CoachMac

attachicon.gifNHL 82-83-84 RomB.bin

Personalized Start up screen.

Improved some Banners and made you a Campbell and Wales.

Got rid of Double All Star teams.

Made it so Playoffs won't freeze up.

Fixed some team names that were to long and screwing up Menu page.

Anybody as crazy as you deserves an amazing rom.

Thought about getting all teams in Alpha order but decided that was more than I want to do.

Oh WOW!!! This is amazing that you would put this effort in Coach Mac. So grateful!

I'll download this immediately! Note that there may have been one or two minor errors I corrected since posting the ROM (eg Doug Favell's had incorrect glove hand)

I will elect to get greedy and ask if it's possible to use my blog banner as my start up screen???? Attached.

Update:....just downloaded this. Love the Seattle banner! ...maybe if one team struggles mightily in Empty Net'83 rumours of a move to Seattle could be in the offing.

Prior to deciding on my current 24 team league composition, I was going to have 7-team divisions with the California & Seattle's that are still in there plus the, Saskatchewan Roughnecks and Lake Placid Miracles (comprised of the USA 80 olympic roster). But nixed it as I was struggling with banners etc.

Thank you again!

Update 2: I didn't know my playoffs froze but I see it was because I didn't have every team have a potential matchup. I just edited the ROM again as your edit still had California without a spot so it was still freezing. Also edited Doug Favell's glove hand AND I had Colorado's abbreviation as LKP (left over from my Lake Placid idea) - guess I fixed that after posting the ROM.

post-7927-0-42195700-1400304973_thumb.jp

NHL 82-83-84 RomB.bin

Edited by NYI80-83

attachicon.gifNHL 82-83-84 RomE.bin

Here is your new Start up Banner.

Do you wanna do the USA thing?

I have a great banner.

Thank you. WOW that was quick!!!

As for your offer. Perhaps my league could expand down the road :). Sure why not, there's two extra spots left on the ROM. Any Saskatchwwan banners kicking around (that was the one that made me decide to just play with 24!).

By the way new blog post up.. We're a third of the way through Season 1!

Amazing help CoachMac. Amazing.

I'm on it now.

What color for SasK?

Saskatchewan = green & white.

Seattle - if it's easy to do - green & silver (i didn't know how to do silver)

Also just loaded up the latest ROM you sent. Amazing! Do think you edited it before seeing I re-sent one. Here are the errors I had fixed

- Colorado abbreviation was LKP

- Doug Favell glove hand fixed to Left

- California added to a playoff bracket so it doesn't freeze.

Not a biggy on the first two, easy changes for me, but thinking if anyone else was going to use it.

THANKS!

Done.

NHL 82-83-84 RomF.bin

For Playoffs I did Divisions as follows

Patrick Division Adams Division Norris Smythe

NYI BOS MIN EDM

NYR MTL CHI CGY

NJD HAR DET VAN

PIT BUF TOR LA

PHI QUE STL WPG

WAS LPM COL CAL

ATL CLE SAS SEA

WAL CAM

I also set OT to 0:00

no need for 0:01

Edited by CoachMac

Done.

attachicon.gifNHL 82-83-84 RomF.bin

For Playoffs I did Divisions as follows

Patrick Division Adams Division Norris Smythe

NYI BOS MIN EDM

NYR MTL CHI CGY

NJD HAR DET VAN

PIT BUF TOR LA

PHI QUE STL WPG

WAS LPM COL CAL

ATL CLE SAS SEA

WAL CAM

I also set OT to 0:00

no need for 0:01

Amazing Thank You!! .. I have no idea how you do banners so well and easily, was a struggle for me.

Had OT at 0:01 so that you can still see the 3 Stars of the game.

You can still see them with 0.

Just hit resume game and it goes straight to them with no Face Off.

Your blog is cool.

Do you do Individual stats?

Ahh, ok I'll try that. I'll begin using the ROM you updated in Season 2 - as I created a ROM specific to Season 1 already with the rosters trimmed down to the Season 1 mini-roster with my "injury replacement" fillers added (explanation on that to others reading in What is Empty Net'83 page on my blog).

Individual stats no. I've toyed with the idea of tracking goalie save% and skater +/- only. The game isn't accurate on assigning assits anyway I notice. I can do a rough +/- easily for skaters based on games they start, just wouldn't account for goals scored for and against while they are out with an injury. Could do that manually but I dunno how much effort I want to put into tracking. Was also going to track fighting wins & losses (I trade punch for punch with the CPU so that I don't win every fight as I could if I tried) - as well as injuries sustained and dished out. ...This is all possible, but I've decided to do less tracking and more playing & posting.

Edited by NYI80-83

I like it.

Expansion to Seattle, Saskatchewan and Lake Placid!

Could be!!

Or I may just play 10-12 seasons as is and create Empty Net '86 with 28 teams and start fresh and get Super Mario involved in this...

So many possibilities....

Edited by NYI80-83

attachicon.gifNHL 82-83-84 RomB.bin

Set all teams Home Ice advantage to 0.

Set all teams sim data to 43.

Revisited this as I remember we focused on the banners the other day in the back and forth. Thanks for everything again of course

Responses to what I left quoted above:

a) I'll make an effort to update the Ron Barr page in Season 2 - I think I can do that in Hex Editor? I've done a few things in Hex editor. Wouldn't mind his intro stating the arena - ie "Welcome to The Omni"... and give some details specific to my teams. I'd do this myself I think; but is that how I edit them, in the Hex editor?? Noticed excerpts of his text in the right column when I played around with Hex.

b ) Editing the center ice logo to be Empty Net'83 would be cool! Possible?????

c) yeah don't need them to be in alpha order. but thanks for thinking of it.

d & e) I don't even know what these mean?? There was home ice advantage in the original game?!? Sim data?? (I can probably search this site to find the answers to both I suppose.

And reading some of the other posts, here including mine. I also ditched the 28-team & Lake Placid idea because Ken Morrow MUST be on the Islanders! in my top 10 favourite goals ever. I hope to score a goal this year with Morrow from the same spot on the ice.

Edited by NYI80-83

A. Yes, that is how you do it.

B. Yes, with TM.

C. OK.

D. Again in TM you can find this info just above the team rosters for each team.

Home Ice Advantage can be set from 0-4. Originally when you took my rom all were set to 4 (max).

When I did updates for you I set them back to 0. The Sim data only applies when the computer is playing out of town games or when using a playoff bracket. It is found in the same place. Plus you have the 8 attributes that show on the Ron Barr page but have no impact on the game. I set them all

to 0 and put in Starting Line-ups by PRO SET.

E. Scratch the Miracles and bring back the SCOUTS!

D. Home Ice Advantage can be set from 0-4. Originally when you took my rom all were set to 4 (max).

When I did updates for you I set them back to 0.

E. Scratch the Miracles and bring back the SCOUTS!

Interesting. I didn't know I was playing with a home ice advantage. Since I had put work into a secondary ROM trimmed down to Season 1 rosters plus the added "injury replacement" fillers - I wasn't going to use your updated ROM until Season 2. Maybe the CPU will get a little tougher in Season 2 when I play without the built in home ice advantage. I'm barely above .500 right now (37-35-12) even with the H-Ice advantage

E. Many alignments were thought of; and the Scouts were considered yes. So were the California OR Oakland Seals, Ottawa Silver Seven, Milwaukee Admirals, and Thunder Bay. Seattle Metropolitans and Saskatchewan Roughnecks were locks to be included if I made it a 28 team league. Also toyed with the idea of imagining that the WHA merger included the transfer of Houston, Cincinnati and/or Indianapolis. But in the end I stuck with 24.

Didn't have a name picked out for T'Bay. What was the name of the Thunder Bay team in Youngblood?... For some reason I am adverse to putting a team in Hamilton. Even though that was a popular rumoured destination for a team in real-life in the 80's and I live about 45 minutes from there. Just doesn't feel right for some reason to me. Thunder Bay would've been the Green Bay Packers of the NHL!

Edited by NYI80-83

Look on the Ron Barr screen at the beginning it should show the Home Ice Advantage.

And believe me set at 4 it is very noticeable.

How did you do back in the day playing on the console with the Original game?

.500? Better?

Win the Cup in Playoff mode?

Look on the Ron Barr screen at the beginning it should show the Home Ice Advantage.

And believe me set at 4 it is very noticeable.

How did you do back in the day playing on the console with the Original game?

.500? Better?

Win the Cup in Playoff mode?

Hmm. Interesting. Well maybe I'll make the effort now to transfer my Season 1 ROM into the base ROM you sent me. Should only take 15-30 minutes of work with two NOSES open. If it makes the CPU Visiting Goalies tougher to score on I'll like that.

Difficult to remember exactly. Roughly 50%. I wish I had saved my old notebooks that kept track of scores back in like 1994-1996 when I was playing it - all pencil and paper! ...I used to only use the home team because I remember I could change the CPU's lineup with the 2nd controller; but couldn't do that if I was controlling the visitor. Would also have to trick the game engine to assigning the extra attacker to a player on the in-season mini-roster by starting the game with my extra attacker at Centre; then changing the Centre to whoever the CPU automatically put in as the extra-attacker; that would put who I started at C as the EX-A. Then I'd change the C to whomever was to play the game as C. So in some cases the first two shifts of the game would be a non-roster player. I also remember it would be fits to injure a Canuck winger - say someone like Garry Valk - as the CPU would substitute him with Bure and I'd be in trouble! ...Really NOSE is a god-send as now I am in complete control of these things.

I did win a few Cups with an empty net and auto line changes. Didn't try it too often though. Foggy on the details.

Edited by NYI80-83