NHL'94 Forums

"Leave Off"

Hi, long-time lurker here with a question. I've apparently long since lost the readme that came with the 30-team ROM originally and would like a refresher about why the user stat tracking option is supposed to be left off. It was something to do with the data for the extra team slots falling outside of the original game's offsets and thus leading to erratic behavior, wasn't it?

More to the point, if the number of available teams is limited to the original game's count or less (I've been idly tinkering with a playoff-esque 16-team ROM), would it be safe to re-enable this option? My limited testing with it has gone well enough so far but thought it might not hurt to ask.

To be honest, I hadn't tried it in a 30-team ROM yet when I posted last time. Any prior testing I had done was on one of the Minnesota high school ROMs since they use a 16-team limit like what I have in mind.

That said, I just did a test game in a 30-team ROM using the last two teams, since their data probably falls outside of the original data block. I pulled up the records afterwards and...

testinginitt_zps8145e011.jpg

No crash but it's definitely buggy.

The goals and saves screens also showed incorrect data, though not to that extreme. It merely had me playing with a different team, though my opponent and the number of goals/saves were both correct.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm also using wboy 30 team Rom and if I select either Vancouver or Washington in the menu and watch the player names and sprites cycle, the game freezes, the player sprite isn't normal looking. The sprite shows the player in his uniform all blurry and a message appears on the screen that resembles the message in the above picture. Only happens on those two teams. What should I do?

Edited by Tex