NHL'94 Forums

Let there be blood in NHL94

Hey guys

I am going to create a rom where there is blood when fighting and falling down, I will do this via sprite hacking, tell me what u think. :D

But there is no fighting in 94. Won't you have to add fighting first?

• 2 weeks later...
Good point, I dunno how am I going to do that, but I got a few wierd ideas on how to this.

Good luck, but without the fighting animations (or presumably logic) in the game, it would take a pretty comprehensive rebuild of the game to include fighting. You would have to break down the game engine so you could add logic to know when to start a fight & how to carry through a fight, then you would have to either add capacity to the game for the extra sprites & build them up pixel by pixel & reference them in the code, or you could erase current animations, so the game would look choppier, change the game engine so that those maps are never referrenced in regular play.

Any of this would take an elaborate view of how the game engine is constructed. We know a lot about the raw data & graphics, but little about the actual engine that processes the gameplay. It would almost be as easy to reconstruct the entire game from scratch.

Hmmm, mayne I will scrap the fighting thing, it sounds diffacult, but I will still do the blood thing when the hockey player falls down or gets checked.

I would have to start this project when I finished NHL 89.

The blood thing sounds easier. I have no idea how to do anything with editing, but replacing sprites sounds easier than just making something from scratch.