NHL'94 Forums

Ratings Inflation

NHL Hockey (92)

3 skaters rated in the 90's Gretzky, Lemieux, and Sandstrom.

7 skaters in the 80's.

14 skaters in the 70's.

Many players in the 30's, 20's, and teens.

All the teams look and feel very different because of the wide range of ratings.

Shawn Chambers is rated a 26, I believe.

NHLPA 93

8 skaters in the 90's.

45 skaters in the 80's.

Almost all starters are in the 60's or 70's.

Some players in the 30's, 20's, and teens.

And of course the legendary Shawn Chambers rated a 1, just one year removed from being a major contributor to the North Stars Cup run.

NHL 94

10 skaters in the 90's.

28 skaters in the 80's.

Almost everyone rated at least 60 or 70.

Basically no one below 40.

Shawn Chambers gets a 47.

Ratings continued to inflate in later games.

Even though you can find some glaring errors in the 92 ratings, (Cam Neely and Doug Wilson 100 speed), the wide variation and and use of the whole 1-100 rating scale is great.

I became aware of this because of how fun Empty Net 83 is and how widely he varied his ratings. Mike Bossy 86 and Gary Howatt 23 feel very different. I also like the fact that he plays with all the players on the team to give each game and team a different feel.

NHL Hockey (92)

3 skaters rated in the 90's Gretzky, Lemieux, and Sandstrom.

Ratings continued to inflate in later games.

Even though you can find some glaring errors in the 92 ratings, (Cam Neely and Doug Wilson 100 speed), the wide variation and and use of the whole 1-100 rating scale is great.

I became aware of this because of how fun Empty Net 83 is and how widely he varied his ratings. Mike Bossy 86 and Gary Howatt 23 feel very different. I also like the fact that he plays with all the players on the team to give each game and team a different feel.

Thanks Coach Mac. Yes I definitely agree that using the whole 1-100 range makes the game more enjoyable.

Tomas Sandstrom? Very good player as I recall; among top 3 in the game? Wow.

this is fairly true for the whole league, though. it's a lot harder to get an NHL job that it was in each previous decade. the inflation of talent was drastic. while our hundreds my not really be better than those classic dudes, those guys don't play now and certainly current scrubs are a lot less scrubby than the old-school useless mopes with fists, skates and a stick each.

There are still the best and the worst if all you use is 40-100, you might as well just use 0-60 scale.

It is like grades in school today, the SAT, and everybody gets a trophy. The fact is someone in the NHL is the worst player and should be a 1 if you use a 1-100 scale. I think Shawn Chambers got a raw deal but the point was good.

I am not comparing across generations.

the original '94 had 29-100 for SNES and 29-99 on Genesis. 25 is possible. less is not. I stick with this range, but I find myself giving more higher ratings than '94 had. but I think Campbell and Paille would skate circles around Kocur and Hartman. today's league has a much deeper talent pool, skillwise. today's scrubs aren't terrible. some of the players from twenty years ago were, uh, not skaters. that shift holds true all the way up to the best players. tere might not be players better than Lemieux, but there are many more in that range.