NHL'94 Forums

Blitz 09 Draft Option

Okay we’re not 100% sure of who’s coming back or not yet, with only plabax officially leaving so far. If we follow the classic blitz formula, blitz 09 was suppose to have an open first round, the first overall pick going to the B league. The draft would work exactly like it did before...well more like season 07, with the following rules: http://forum.nhl94.com/index.php?/topic/14127-blitz-07-draft-info/ (To make a brief resumé for the new guys, the draft picks would go that way (1st open round, 2nd protect, 3rd open round, etc...)

However, some coaches have expressed their interest of a total reboot of our blitz League, which I guess would intend a complete new draft from the scratch, just like GDL. Personally, i’m not at all against this idea because there has been a large number of quitting/replacement coaches the past seasons. Having a brand new draft would create a new tandem in the league, giving the bottom coaches in the A league better players which should help equalizes things up a bit. I would be like a new life after a wack-lock-out, lawl. If we proceed that way, season 10 should start back with a protection pick so we can all go back to our classic blitz system.

So there’s 2 options, please fellow blitzGAS, VOTE by posting bellow:,

• OPTION A: we proceed the classic way, NO REVOLUTION :horror:

Gretzkyonacold, Probob, minpind, Houly

• OPTION B: anarchy, NEW DRAFT :grimace:

Freydey, Kingraph, Icestorm, , Sicarius, LABS, Depch

• OPTION C: .........................old way? :unhappy:

Edited by Freydey

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I vote redraft and limiting trades. If we go back to a keeper (protect) system afterwards, I'd really want a discussion on it as well because the big flaw in that system is it allows someone like me to have 2 1st rounders every season.

I vote B - reboot as well. using ame concept we did season 1 to start blitz. We'll need to go back to smo's original set up for guidance but essentially you dtraft a classic quad and then you treat that squad as your 'team' to protect one player round 1, then open rd 2 etc

I vote B - reboot as well. using ame concept we did season 1 to start blitz. We'll need to go back to smo's original set up for guidance but essentially you dtraft a classic quad and then you treat that squad as your 'team' to protect one player round 1, then open rd 2 etc

I like your idea.

S1 formula

not me, with 24 coaches, the teams will be really unbalanced

Before you shoot it down check out how smozoma did it season 1 to begin blitz.

http://forum.nhl94.com/index.php?/topic/7228-blitz-league-pick-your-team/page-1

I think it's important to retain some of the integrity of the league and how it was started. Doing a reboot would involve doing it like the initial season in blitz.

OPTION C:

I would be totally against a reboot. I have spent 3 seasons forming my roster. I love my team & i'm looking forward to tweaking it for 09. I feel like i've got them to a point where just 1 or 2 additions would make it a really strong team. It's been brilliant developing the roster & I want to keep that going. There are players I now feel very attached to.

What I agree on is the problem of teams being stacked, & no way of prising certain players away from their roster because once you've protected them they're, well "protected".

This is a little more work during the draft, but here is my proposal. To me it seems the most sensible option:

OPTION C: PROTECT PICKS ONLY COUNT IF PLAYERS ARE NOT SELECTED BEFORE THE PROTECT ROUND

So, we all know King's team is possibly the best ever assembled: Selanne, Neely, Eklund, McSorley, Manson. If the draft stays the same he can protect one of McSorley or Manson in rd4, & there's nothing anyone can do about it, even if they want that player.

What should happen is that if King protects McSorley, for example, in rd4 but I pick him in rd3 I've got him. Nothing King can do about it.

The protect rds 6, 8 & 10 follow the same way. In the preceding round you could lose your protect pick.

The only thing I would want to continue would be that all your players can't be taken from you, so, if his rd4 options are McSorley, Manson & Eklund & McSorley & Manson r picked in rd3 he automatically gets Eklund as his rd4 protect. In this way a roster can't be totally cleaned out leaving the coach having to build a totally new team.

This system allows us to keep continuity from season to season, but without allowing guys to hoard all the best players they've accumulated through clever trading over the seasons.

For me the "dynasty" aspect of having the same players season through season & slowly developing your roster with each season's draft is the best thing about Blitz. I certainly wouldn't want to lose some of the guys i've grown so fond of using.

well with your system, king wont be able to pick in rnd 2, 4 and 6 because all his players will be taken.

I............actually..........agree.........with......................Robbie. maybe we limit the protects and have more open rounds so you can at least keep 2 franchise players(protect,open,protect,open,open,open,ect.) I dunno, i'm torn. If we start from scratch we might as well call it GDLWBFWTF.

well with your system, king wont be able to pick in rnd 2, 4 and 6 because all his players will be taken.

No, he still gets his picks, & the system does protect him from losing ALL his players. Maybe I didn't describe it well enough aboive, but it's like this, just as an example:

KING'S RD2 PROTECT IS SELANNE & NEELY AS HIS 2ND OPTION.

Round 1 I pick Selanne:

1:12 DETROIT SELECTS SELANNE

King has now lost Selanne, but as a result is guaranteed to keep Neely so as to keep continuity on his roster. Both Selanne & Neely were available in RD1 but as 1 was taken the other was automatically protected. This is how the rd1 protect works in Blitz. I am proposing the same rule for all other rounds. Example:

KING'S RD4 PROTECT IS MCSORLEY & MANSON IS HIS 2ND OPTION.

Round 3 I pick McSorley:

3:12 DETROIT SELECTS MCSORLEY

It doesn't matter that King protected him, I now have him, because rd4 hasn't happened yet. However, as a result of me picking McSorley King is now guaranteed to keep Manson. He didn't get his preferred protect, but does still keep a player and have continuity between his 08 & 09 rosters.

In this way ALL players are available to everyone until the protect round & it becomes much harder for people to hoard star players by being able to have them protected before the draft even begins. Carse had Recchi as his 3rd round protect in 08, so no one could get him, when clearly he would have gone in the 2nd round under these rules.

King would likely lose Eklund with this system because he could be a rd6 protect option, but would surely be gone before that.

Does all that make sense?

Edited by LA Robbie

No, he still gets his picks, & the system does protect him from losing ALL his players. Maybe I didn't describe it well enough aboive, but it's like this, just as an example:

KING'S RD2 PROTECT IS SELANNE & NEELY AS HIS 2ND OPTION.

Round 1 I pick Selanne:

1:12 DETROIT SELECTS SELANNE

King has now lost Selanne, but as a result is guaranteed to keep Neely so as to keep continuity on his roster. Both Selanne & Neely were available in RD1 but as 1 was taken the other was automatically protected. This is how the rd1 protect works in Blitz. I am proposing the same rule for all other rounds. Example:

KING'S RD4 PROTECT IS MCSORLEY & MANSON IS HIS 2ND OPTION.

Round 3 I pick McSorley:

3:12 DETROIT SELECTS MCSORLEY

It doesn't matter that King protected him, I now have him, because rd4 hasn't happened yet. However, as a result of me picking McSorley King is now guaranteed to keep Manson. He didn't get his preferred protect, but does still keep a player and have continuity between his 08 & 09 rosters.

In this way ALL players are available to everyone until the protect round & it becomes much harder for people to hoard star players by being able to have them protected before the draft even begins. Carse had Recchi as his 3rd round protect in 08, so no one could get him, when clearly he would have gone in the 2nd round under these rules.

King would likely lose Eklund with this system because he could be a rd6 protect option, but would surely be gone before that.

Does all that make sense?

I vote redraft and limiting trades. If we go back to a keeper (protect) system afterwards, I'd really want a discussion on it as well because the big flaw in that system is it allows someone like me to have 2 1st rounders every season.

Problem there is I keep Neely and get a late 1st rounder. Boom! Stacked team again.

Either way this gets voted, I agree doing protects round by round, and no coach can lose two players in one round. Takes more effort to organize draft, but fairer overall (and how I believe it was originally done).

I voted for A

question: labs is rated A and dcicon (2x blitz B champs) ???

labs is def going in B next season.

I vote for B. Also I was in A because I took over for someone and I just wanted to play and not wait. I admit I should have been B for my first season

I like the Robbie idea in its simplest form as it used to be done that way.

Round 1 is open pick, only 1 guy can be drafted per team and you only do protect picks in the even round, you don't have to submit protect picks before the draft begins.

I also might throw in only 2 total protect picks (round 2 and 4). Protect picks in rounds 6, 8, 10 and 12 are meaningless.

The way it originally worked was that you could lose up to a certain number of players at each open round.

So for example you could lose 2 guys in the 2nd round, 3 guys total by the 4th, something like that. You'll have to dig up the old threads. The draft website enforced the rule. Protections were locked in at the start of the protection round (i had to take the site offline temporarily to put them in I think).

I agree that with 24 teams, going back to the season 1 method of picking a classic team is not really workable due to people not named AngryJay ending up with expansion teams. Also, the way it was was you got to pick 3 guys straight away from your classic team.

Problem there is I keep Neely and get a late 1st rounder. Boom! Stacked team again.

Either way this gets voted, I agree doing protects round by round, and no coach can lose two players in one round. Takes more effort to organize draft, but fairer overall (and how I believe it was originally done).

There are plenty of guys who could say that though. Point is you're definitely going to lose a top guy, & the late 1st rounder you get won't be as good as the guy you've lost. Add to that the fact that the system will prevent you from hoarding all the other guys on your roster & you've only really gained in the 1st 2 rounds, which 1. isn't really a gain as we've already established, and 2. Is fair enough seeing as you've put the work in over several seasons to develop your roster in the first place.

It's a much better system than just blowing everything up & saying "Forget that team you spent seasons building. We're starting again"

Edited by LA Robbie

Protect picks in rounds 6, 8, 10 and 12 are meaningless.

Late round protect picks make the draft go fast, and since they're meaningless, might as well go the protect route. 11th and 12th rounds were never protect from what I remember.

There are plenty of guys who could say that though. Point is you're definitely going to lose a top guy, & the late 1st rounder you get won't be as good as the guy you've lost. Add to that the fact that the system will prevent you from hoarding all the other guys on your roster & you've only really gained in the 1st 2 rounds, which 1. isn't really a gain as we've already established, and 2. Is fair enough seeing as you've put the work in over several seasons to develop your roster in the first place.

It's a much better system than just blowing everything up & saying "Forget that team you spent seasons building. We're starting again"

Maybe could let it be an option, to keep your team, or blow it up? Just have to decide where to put the protect picks, though (early 2nd round, or late? then the reverse in round 4)

The way it originally worked was that you could lose up to a certain number of players at each open round.

So for example you could lose 2 guys in the 2nd round, 3 guys total by the 4th, something like that. You'll have to dig up the old threads. The draft website enforced the rule. Protections were locked in at the start of the protection round (i had to take the site offline temporarily to put them in I think).

I agree that with 24 teams, going back to the season 1 method of picking a classic team is not really workable due to people not named AngryJay ending up with expansion teams. Also, the way it was was you got to pick 3 guys straight away from your classic team.

The league is born and must die with this formula.

GDL is a big draft and i like but blitz is different and cool because you can play with your old players!

Late round protect picks make the draft go fast, and since they're meaningless, might as well go the protect route. 11th and 12th rounds were never protect from what I remember.

Maybe could let it be an option, to keep your team, or blow it up? Just have to decide where to put the protect picks, though (early 2nd round, or late? then the reverse in round 4)

The league is born and must die with this formula.

GDL is a big draft and i like but blitz is different and cool because you can play with your old players!

Choosing to keep your roster or blow it up is a good option. That way guys like me who love their team & are sentimental to want to keep certain players aren't disappointed.

Houly is right: Blitz is different precisely because you get continuity between seasons

Robbie - you keep saying how you build up this team of players that you love, but hasn't your starting lineup been completely different the last 3 seasons?

Dino and Courtnall this season?

Sandstrom Granato last season?

Carson Verbeek season 06?

I can just about guarantee you'll love your new team (each season you rave about how amazing your draft was and how much you love your team).

Anyway, nobody is suggesting to eliminate the keeper system, but the idea is to redraft clean starting season 09 because there has been so much turnover the last few seasons, why not let everyone start from scratch, and have some relative equality to start. I think Ice and Chaos may be the only people left from season 01.

I'm fine either way and I understand both sides (I also draft and trade with thoughts of future season implications). Let's see how the votes shake out.

I agree with going back to the old way. I thought the "pick your protects from this list before the draft starts" was no good to begin with.

I vote the old way - you can only have a certain amount of players drafted from your team per round, protects every other round except the last 2