NHL'94 Forums

Blitz 09 Draft Option

another option to consider regardless of route we choose, is to not allow 1st round protection picks to be traded.

Once first round is complete, then trades can occur with the players protected in first round. This will prevent people from keeping two first rouders right off the hop.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Robbie - you keep saying how you build up this team of players that you love, but hasn't your starting lineup been completely different the last 3 seasons?

Dino and Courtnall this season?

Sandstrom Granato last season?

Carson Verbeek season 06?

I can just about guarantee you'll love your new team (each season you rave about how amazing your draft was and how much you love your team).

Anyway, nobody is suggesting to eliminate the keeper system, but the idea is to redraft clean starting season 09 because there has been so much turnover the last few seasons, why not let everyone start from scratch, and have some relative equality to start. I think Ice and Chaos may be the only people left from season 01.

I'm fine either way and I understand both sides (I also draft and trade with thoughts of future season implications). Let's see how the votes shake out.

I have had a few players that have played multiple seasons on my team. Not the biggest stars or most important players, but the likes of Butcher, Verbeek, Momesso that i've really enjoyed using. My team has evolved over 3 seasons & is now at a point where i'm really happy with it. It wasn't just "These guys out, these guys in". There were progressions each season & particular trades etc that tell the story of my team. I can guarantee my team at the end of the 09 draft will be mostly made up of returning players. Like I said, I really wouldn't want to lose that "Dynasty" element of the league or my team.

What it boils down to is what you want. You want to change, I don't. Fine. I'll keep my roster, you start anew with yours. Everyone's happy.

I don't see why one guy should be forced to change if he doesn't want to. You or me. Let people choose

Edited by LA Robbie

As someone that was a replacement coach, I don't really think my vote should have the same weight as guys who have been in & developing the league of multiple seasons.

I think Smoz's mind works better than most minds out there, and it's no surprise that the league & site he developed ended up being everyone's favorite & best rated of all the things I've seen on the site.

He's made some suggestions. I'd have the top 2-3 guys who've been around the league/game the longest get together with him & come up with the best way of doing something going forward.

100% sure that getting everyone's input is going to still leave not having everyone happy, but at least in the end, we might again have the best product/league & hopefully, less need for replacement coaches like I was last season.

My vote goes in whichever direction you guys agree on.

I agree with going back to the old way. I thought the "pick your protects from this list before the draft starts" was no good to begin with.

I vote the old way - you can only have a certain amount of players drafted from your team per round, protects every other round except the last 2

Whatever option this post lands is where I would like my vote, I assume B.

I'm in the camp of blowing it up and starting new across the board. But I'm not for that if some people get to keep their current teams like Robbie is wanting. & I agree with King that every draft Robbie has had he raves about his team etc... and they're all different... haha

If we blow it up, it has to apply to everyone. Can't have different rules applied to people in the same league.

I agree with going back to the old way. I thought the "pick your protects from this list before the draft starts" was no good to begin with.

I vote the old way - you can only have a certain amount of players drafted from your team per round, protects every other round except the last 2

What do you mean by the old way?

I think he means naming your protected player before each protection round rather than all at the start of the draft.

What do you mean by the old way?

Yes, before we started doing the protection lists. Here's the thread from Blitz 4

http://forum.nhl94.com/index.php?/topic/11132-blitz-04-draft-info/

The way Smoz described above. I thought this was the fairest way. Guys have a chance to get good players, and the teams losing the players don't get completely raped by limiting the number of guys that could be drafted from your team per round.

Also, I remember that protect picks couldn't be traded. I think that should be reinstated. People shouldn't be able to trade protect picks

Yes, before we started doing the protection lists. Here's the thread from Blitz 4 http://forum.nhl94.com/index.php?/topic/11132-blitz-04-draft-info/

The way Smoz described above. I thought this was the fairest way. Guys have a chance to get good players, and the teams losing the players don't get completely raped by limiting the number of guys that could be drafted from your team per round.

Also, I remember that protect picks couldn't be traded. I think that should be reinstated. People shouldn't be able to trade protect picks

The tradibg of protects was to help guys that inherited crap teams. But ya at least restrict first/second round protects from being traded

A reboot won't do what you think it will. It will start everyone on zeros but then experienced guys will make clever trades to end up with better teams anyway.

09 has an open pick first round, so the guys like King & Ice with stacked teams are guaranteed to end up weaker as they will lose their best player & have a late rd1 pick too. Then, by not protecting players before the draft their other good players will be available to other players too. They will 100% end up with more evened out teams, and the guys who struggled last season are going to be picking from the likes of Mario, Bourque, Mogilny, Yzerman, Roenick etc.

There's absolutely no need for a reboot. All you have to do is prevent the protected players being protected before their protect round. The teams will totally be evened out. Can't believe more guys can't recognise this.

The trades will then decide who ends up with an advantage. The inexperienced guys or guys with trade-addiction will end up losing out, but again, that would be just the same if you do a reboot. Also, allow guys to trade protect picks. If they can't use those protect picks until the relevant round it may not help them anyway, but it will help the guys who don't want their protect picks to get better players.

I think there's too much complicating of all this. The system just needs that one tweak to stop protect picks before the draft, thus stopping player hoarding. Job done

A reboot won't do what you think it will. It will start everyone on zeros but then experienced guys will make clever trades to end up with better teams anyway.

09 has an open pick first round, so the guys like King & Ice with stacked teams are guaranteed to end up weaker as they will lose their best player & have a late rd1 pick too. Then, by not protecting players before the draft their other good players will be available to other players too. They will 100% end up with more evened out teams, and the guys who struggled last season are going to be picking from the likes of Mario, Bourque, Mogilny, Yzerman, Roenick etc.

There's absolutely no need for a reboot. All you have to do is prevent the protected players being protected before their protect round. The teams will totally be evened out. Can't believe more guys can't recognise this.

The trades will then decide who ends up with an advantage. The inexperienced guys or guys with trade-addiction will end up losing out, but again, that would be just the same if you do a reboot. Also, allow guys to trade protect picks. If they can't use those protect picks until the relevant round it may not help them anyway, but it will help the guys who don't want their protect picks to get better players.

I think there's too much complicating of all this. The system just needs that one tweak to stop protect picks before the draft, thus stopping player hoarding. Job done

There's nothing complicating it. Some of us agree it should go back to the way it originally was, which is the way you want, no protect picks before the draft.

There's nothing complicating it. Some of us agree it should go back to the way it originally was, which is the way you want, no protect picks before the draft.

OK, so the original system Smoz put in place would keep everyone happy. Guys who did badly get to pick the top stars, no protects before the draft ensures evening out the rosters like a reboot would, & those of us that want it get the continuity. The system is already there to achoeve everybody's aims

OK, so the original system Smoz put in place would keep everyone happy. Guys who did badly get to pick the top stars, no protects before the draft ensures evening out the rosters like a reboot would, & those of us that want it get the continuity. The system is already there to achoeve everybody's aims

No it would not. People also want the ability to build their own team without having to protect players they never drafted in first place. Due to major coach turnover.

Frey this should be made as a poll, not just respond with choice.

Still can. Trade ur protect picks or ur protected players. I started 07 with only 1 player from my 06 roster.

There is absolutely no need for a reboot. It achieves nothing the current system can't do

Still can. Trade ur protect picks or ur protected players. I started 07 with only 1 player from my 06 roster.

There is absolutely no need for a reboot. It achieves nothing the current system can't do

So, I'm new to Blitz & took over a team that I wasn't a fan of, other than having Lindros. Not sure if under the rules I'd keep him or not, as I didn't bother digging into the rules since it seemed clear, something might be changing.

Anyhow, as a new guy, you normally WANT to start your own thing, which I would prefer.

BUT, as a new guy, I'd hate to go 3-4 years with another guys roster, change it to mine, and then have to start over again to appease other new guys.

That said, in a start over, the new roster is 100% your picks, so it still would be your guys, so I'd be happier with that result than making everyone else suffer so I could keep 3-4 guys on my team that I might be able to draft anyhow, but to each their own.

The question then becomes, how many are "suffering" keeping the current rosters if you don't re-draft vs how many have to lose their teams they want to keep if you do?

Technically, I'm under the suffering category, but I've removed my vote, as I don't think a replacement owner's rights should even weigh half of guys who've been around 4-5 seasons.

So, I'm new to Blitz & took over a team that I wasn't a fan of, other than having Lindros. Not sure if under the rules I'd keep him or not, as I didn't bother digging into the rules since it seemed clear, something might be changing.

Anyhow, as a new guy, you normally WANT to start your own thing, which I would prefer.

BUT, as a new guy, I'd hate to go 3-4 years with another guys roster, change it to mine, and then have to start over again to appease other new guys.

That said, in a start over, the new roster is 100% your picks, so it still would be your guys, so I'd be happier with that result than making everyone else suffer so I could keep 3-4 guys on my team that I might be able to draft anyhow, but to each their own.

The question then becomes, how many are "suffering" keeping the current rosters if you don't re-draft vs how many have to lose their teams they want to keep if you do?

Technically, I'm under the suffering category, but I've removed my vote, as I don't think a replacement owner's rights should even weigh half of guys who've been around 4-5 seasons.

Lindros will definitely be a first round pick, & for 09 the 1st round is not protected, so you might lose him, might not, but you'll definitely get an excellent player in the 1st round. You finished 8th in the standings & will gain some places for DNP penalties, so I would say you have a great chance of having a top star in the 1st round. You'll then get to keep another top guy off your roster in rd2. In round 3 every other player in the rom is going to be available to you before the next opportunity to protect in rd4, so after 3 rounds you're going to have 2 totally new players on your roster.

Add to that the fact you could trade your protect picks & you're going to have more than enough opportunity to build a totally new roster.

Well, I don't really have a 2nd round player worth protecting, so I'd have to trade that Protect Pick to someone who has two Round 2 players they want to keep, I'd assume. If you made it no trading protect picks, I'm behind pretty quickly here.

Obviously, without replacement coaches, the leagues would have folded from lack of interest, so I see the desire to help with a re-start, especially given how many were needed.

I just believe that it should only be done if the benefit goes to the top teams as well. If the guys who have been playing see an imbalance that Robbie's draft proposal doesn't fix, then vote amongst the top & "make it so", "make an executive decision".

I clearly think that everyone understands all the matters at hand and it's just a matter of what they think is best going forward so to me, repeating the options won't change that and trying to figure out how much resistance or acceptance of the changes isn't the best way. Best is to have the guys who are going to have to run it, replace coaches, be accountable for a balanced league, etc make a call on it, and those of us who are going to play the league to do our best to enjoy it.

Like fantasy hockey pools, when there is coach turnover in the offseason - you pool the available players and have the new coaches draft their teams.

..also, shouldn't concern ourselves too much with coach turnover:

1. The waitlist is seemingly well-stocked

2. New coaches have to work their way up, just like any "expansion team"

3. Blitz is the best league in the community bar-down.

Maybe we can do this: Use the old style draft, with protect picks being done during protect rounds, and limiting the number of players drafted from one team per round. With any coaches who were replacements or are new coaches, they can have the option of keeping the team and drafting like everyone else, or blow their team up and get no protect picks. Then, they can get an extra pick during the protect round, maybe before or after protects are actually picked. I think this was also how it was done before, as I remember new coaches getting extra picks during protect rounds.

Just another option. I think it should be up to the admins to decide what we should do.

I'm guaranteed Neely or Selanne + late 1st rounder. Hardly "awful".

Also, using the old method, you could lose up to 2 players in the first 3 rounds. So King could actually lose Neely and Selanne in the first round before his 1.24 pick :grimace:

Also, using the old method, you could lose up to 2 players in the first 3 rounds. So King could actually lose Neely and Selanne in the first round before his 1.24 pick :grimace:

LOL EXACTLY!!!

nice try mr. raph :haha:

new draft new draft new draft new draft new draft new draft :money:

Edited by Houly

Maybe we can do this: Use the old style draft, with protect picks being done during protect rounds, and limiting the number of players drafted from one team per round. With any coaches who were replacements or are new coaches, they can have the option of keeping the team and drafting like everyone else, or blow their team up and get no protect picks. Then, they can get an extra pick during the protect round, maybe before or after protects are actually picked. I think this was also how it was done before, as I remember new coaches getting extra picks during protect rounds.

Just another option. I think it should be up to the admins to decide what we should do.

Sounds perfect to me

I guess the main principles of Blitz have always been:

1. The weight bug fix
2. Continuity between seasons
3. Trying to keep the competition even
4. Occasional compromise

Edit: 5. Stats

So my vote is for letting people choose to redraft their team entirely once in a while, or do it the protection pick way. Certainly coaches taking over teams could have the option to redraft from scratch. And after a while, you do tend to get locked into some players, which can get dull. So maybe allow a coach to redraft every 4 seasons.