NHL'94 Forums

Blitz 09 Draft Option

I'm not sure it's a good idea to limit it to 1 player lost per team per open round. Maybe 1 in the first round, then open-round-number-plus-1 after that (so round 1=1, round 3=3, round 5=4, round 7=5, round 9=6)

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Down with Y GC button in blitz. If any league should be open to it, it's Blutzagagagahahahatas

i thought this feature would cause instant desynch

Edited by Freydey

If we want to abolish the rule that gives some coaches the certainty of having 2 first rounders (1 protect / 1 draft), we have to make it so you can lose 2 players maximum in the 1st open round, so it would be more like

Round 1 = 2

Round 3 = 3

Round 5 = 4

Round 7 = 5

Round 9 = 6

..Again if we do that, we would also go back to the old way of protecting players which seems to be the most popular option so far, but the thing that I don't like here is the fact that some coaches may have built their team with trades during the last draft knowing that they could protect either one of their top guys for the upcoming draft. This is why a new draft would be logicall, because if we establish the final rules right now after 8 seasons of expirimentations, everything would be set in stone. We could also give the opportunity to some teams to disband their roster and proceed with a complete new draft for this season....wtga you guys think

Edited by Freydey

I think the point u make about the 1st 2 rounds of the draft is fair. I.e. king is sure of a 1st rd pick plus selanne or neely.

Maybe no protects 1st rd is fair, then things carry on as normal after, so I could lose both my options on rd1 but then in rd3 its guaranteed I can only lose 1. That way the star players can't be hoarded but we dont have to all blow up our entire teams.

The other point of view is that King cant get a combo as good as Selanne/Neely again with his low draft position, so he's not really gaining anything. He put the work into building that team so is it fair that it geta totally destroyed?

I see the sense in no guarantees in rds 1 or 2, then all players available before their protect round comes up, but dont think the entire draft process needs to change

I just don't see it as "work".

I could see it if a guy said, "My team was sh&t last year, so I could be good this year" type of sacrifice being a valid point, however, that's not what I'm reading on the board. Setting up the best team you can get for that season with an eye to having a good team the next season is a form of playing Blitz/"fantasy style hockey building". It's how you play/draft in Blitz. Not work.

I just think the obvious talk is there exists a tilt of talent with some teams doing very good at crushing the flawed system of old, and other teams, not so talented, and a desire to return more to the original setup to keep things balanced. The surge in replacements might be a result of this, or just life pulling coaches away, boredom, who knows?. Anyhow, I think Freydey's point (and his would have the most weight to me) is that those teams were not built under the rules that will be used going forward so why keep them?? Yeah, they were set up over 3 years, but set up with a set of rules that are flawed and allow for uneven teams long term.

That's what I'm hearing, and the counter points to that seem to state other things but not deal with that sole issue at hand.

To me, I think anyone who wants to keep their team as-is, needs to have it reviewed maybe by a committee and if it's too unbalanced, forced to draft like everyone else. Sounds like enough guys have asked for a re-draft. Those that will be normal teams just customized to that owners liking, let them keep their team. I don't know if Robbie's team is "stacked" or just "customized". I'm assuming Raph's team is stacked based on it's constant mention of being the best ever and having two #1 picks on the roster.

I know my team falls under the "not stacked" category!!!

Could add a wrinkle of offering to use a protect from the next season in the current season, but adds a pull ahead cost.

So, Raph could use his Round 1 protect for next season to hold a guy to prevent losing Neely this season. Obviously, it's a no brainer, as without that, he would only have a late #1 to protect next season, as under the current new "old" rules, he'd lose both guys. But this way, allowing a coach to pre-use a protect guarantees the team to lose most of it's luster the following season. Then figure out if he loses his Round 4 protect, something for the "early termination fee".

This would be rules applied post re-draft, of course.

Just an idea.

I was one of the first to mention a simple redraft just to balance things out and make it fair for the influx of new coaches. I didn't put much more thought than that and I wouldn't want to over complicate things (choices, committees, etc). Either stick with the current rules (though no advanced keepers...just do it round by round) OR simple redraft.

I was one of the first to mention a simple redraft just to balance things out and make it fair for the influx of new coaches. I didn't put much more thought than that and I wouldn't want to over complicate things (choices, committees, etc). Either stick with the current rules (though no advanced keepers...just do it round by round) OR simple redraft.

You we're the first to point out the fact that there was a big flaw in the keeper system because of the 1st 2 rounders things...and we keep taking you as an example, but you're not the only coach with a team of 2 1st rounders.

Personnaly, my choice would still be a simple redraft, then we could establish a clear system for the protection picks, trades and draft for the future seasons. The add-on mentioned by smoz that would allow coaches to redraft after 4 seasons or for the replacement coaches coming in could also add something to the league..

Ice is right, I should make a poll about this, heading out for now.

GGs

Edited by Freydey

Personally I don't understand why you wanna restart from Scratch ??? We are in the season 9 here, not the one
if you wanna another Draft League, just start the next GDL XII. Or build another new league.
Leave this League and respect his essence.
I totally agree whit LA Robbie. It spend several seasons to build a team.
And now you just wanna restart because you're not happy whit the players you have in your team.

What I can see since my first Classic tournament, is that the game is trusted by a group of players who always wanna play the same type of NHL'94 game's. And the same kind of league.
No place for original tournament, or respect for B player's, or new player's.
I call It dictate ! and Poll Illusion

More, when an A player don't win as always (no one in mind) : The league is not good, or the rules are not good.

What I can say is this : If we restart from scratch It's just a new League, not a Blitz League.

I wanna play Blitz 9 , not a Draft League prime or Dictate League 9