NHL'94 Forums

BLITZ 09 - draft POLL

Blitz 09 Draft  

23 members have voted

1. 1. What do you want for the new draft?

• Redraft from scratch
    • Keep our rosters, and go back to the old formula for protection picks
    • I don't care, all I want is the Y button thing

See all the brillant conversations about that hot subject right there: http://forum.nhl94.com/index.php?/topic/16235-blitz-09-draft-option/page-3#entry138772

Like Smoz himself said: one of the key elements of Blitz is continuity between seasons

Edited by LA Robbie

Personally I don't understand why you wanna restart from Scratch ??? We are in the season 9 here, not the one

if you wanna another Draft League, just start the next GDL XII. Or build another new league.

Leave this League and respect his essence.

I totally agree whit LA Robbie. It spend several seasons to build a team.

And now you just wanna restart because you're not happy whit the players you have in your team.

What I can see since my first Classic tournament, is that the game is trusted by a group of players who always wanna play the same type of NHL'94 game's. And the same kind of league.

No place for original tournament, or respect for B player's, or new player's.

I call It dictate ! and Poll Illusion

More, when an A player's don't win as always (no one in mind) : The league is not good, or the rules are not good.

What I can say is this : If we restart from scratch It's just a new League, not a Blitz League.

I wanna play Blitz 9 , not a Draft League prime or Dictate League 9

Edited by Pearate

Personally I don't understand why you wanna restart from Scratch ??? We are in the season 9 here, not the one

if you wanna another Draft League, just start the next GDL XII. Or build another new league.

Leave this League and respect his essence.

I totally agree whit LA Robbie. It spend several seasons to build a team.

And now you just wanna restart because you're not happy whit the players you have in your team.

What I can see since my first Classic tournament, is that the game is trusted by a group of players who always wanna play the same type of NHL'94 game's. And the same kind of league.

No place for original tournament, or respect for B player's, or new player's.

I call It dictate ! and Poll Illusion

More, when an A player's don't win as always (no one in mind) : The league is not good, or the rules are not good.

What I can say is this : If we restart from scratch It's just a new League, not a Blitz League.

I wanna play Blitz 9 , not a Draft League prime or Dictate League 9

yeeee. Get some ice, think about grandmas, or wait till gdl to get the draft boner down

While it's clear that a redraft is popular, I think anyone wanting to keep their team should be able to.

Smoz has said this a few times, I know he gave up the reigns, but it sounds like he'd like to keep some of the core elements intact.

I guess it doesn't impact me as much because I don't have to play raph every season, but if he's not gonna do it with selanne and neely, he could end up doing it with bure and lindros. Re-draft or not, things like that won't change if you're good at making trades.

Thank you Pearate, Min, & more importantly the creator of this league Smozoma.

As Pearate says, it's Blitz 9, not GDL weight bug fix.

I took on the worst team in Blitz 06 & now have a pretty decent team, through building it up. Why can't noobs do the same? there is no need to reboot, as my team shows.

As Pearate says, there seems to be a total disregard for those who disagree with the reboot idea.

As creator of the league Smoz's opinion should be carrying a lot of weight. Let those who want to keep their teams do so

Edited by LA Robbie

so can someone out line how the draft would work if some teams keep their current rosters and others choose redraft?

Similar to when we added coaches without teams, they were put at the end of each round and had open picks?

my question is this: how many people still in the lg participated in the original blitz 01 season? i think i remember reading 2? so my view on it is that 22 people in this lg inherited a roster. what's wrong with resetting and giving everyone a shot to truly create their own team before we go back to the protect system next season?

Me, Bo, VC and Houly were all in S1.

I agree with Smo, let teams decide if they want to redraft their squad from scratch or go the protect route and keep current team. Cleanest and fairest way. End of story. Let's move on.

I get that some may be happy with your team but it's not going to stay 100% the same even if we continue the league with no changes.

I vote redraft completely.

But it won't bother me if that's not the direction we go.

I just want whatever system we choose to be followed by all. I don't want some sort of mix where 15 people draft all new teams and 7 people get to keep their players.

Bring on the BLITZkrieg!! ..........

ahhhh the joys of being a commish. it's up to you Frey, make the call and let's go. Obviously not everyone will be happy but make a decision and let's go.

In the protect rounds those draftin a new team pick first, all players available to them. After they pick those keepin their rosters protect. 2 players from a protect list cant b picked by the other teams, so if I lose 1 i'm guaranteed to keep 1 player even if it's not my 1st pick.

Easy

nein Robbie, you guys wouldnt get first picks during protect rounds. That's not how we handled Blitz in past when new coaches were added and didnt have a roster. They picked after protects done.

Teams that elect to not redraft should not be punished by allowing redraft teams to select their players before their protection round.

teams that select to redraft their squads should get their picks at the end of each protection round.

Me, Bo, VC and Houly were all in S1.

I agree with Smo, let teams decide if they want to redraft their squad from scratch or go the protect route and keep current team. Cleanest and fairest way. End of story. Let's move on.

I was here since S1 too 😊

Ultimately, it should be up to the commish. He needs to lay out the rules. Asking for our opinion is nice of him. But there needs to be 1 guy (or a group) in control, so that decisions are made and no one questions them. Frey is doing a great job so far, let him make the final decision, using the results from the poll or not.

With my addition of Metallica's Blitzkrieg to this thread my vote should really count as 2 :)

There's not a disregard for people who oppose the idea to redraft, I don't think that's a fair statement. All the principles of Blitz would remain the same. The idea was create a new slate from which we can ALL build upon our new dynasties equally, given our increased knowledge of the game and to eliminate all previous imbalances from the turnover of coaches.

That's it...and those in favor are not thinking beyond that simplicity.

I value Pearate's opinion, but quite frankly I don't believe you spent many seasons building a team that ultimately led you to a starting F lineup of Wayne Gretzky, Rod BrindAmour, and Craig Janney. You're better off drafting from scratch to be honest. I'm not trying to be rude, but I don't believe you had a multi-season strategy to get to that team. And I won't delve into Robbie's team for the sake of avoiding a multi-paragraph retort on why Sergio Momesso is amazing, but you can draft a comparable team, especially when you look at ADP. You're overvaluing your own players and drafting brilliance as you do each season. I'm not trying to mean, just objective.

Having said all of that, I'm also fine keeping it the way it is...I thought almost everyone would be in favor of redraft, but I was wrong. I DO think eliminating upfront protections is a good idea though.

My dear friends, since Smozoma left his chair as the commissonner/chief executive of Blitz, the league has worked more in a corporative form, where most of the decisions we’re taken by a majority of coaches, mostly from people who have been around for several seasons and who have the experience of commissioning NHL94 online leagues. That being said, I consider everyone’s opinion valuable, and this poll was made in order to see what would be the major arguments that could be held against a redraft. Personally, i can’t consider comments such as «being sentimental for my players» or «long off-seasons of hard-work» to have any weight on final decision because they don’t bring anything logical or relevant. The other argument that was share amongst the people who have spoken against the redraft was the essence of blitz itself: The continuity of the league between the seasons.

The continuity is the emblem of Blitz. It’s what makes it special, what makes it look like more like a dynasty-style league and one of the reason why we enjoyed this league so much the last couple of years. Like Kingraph said, we’re not doing a redraft to ruin this central idea of keeping a certain stability between the seasons, we’re doing it to rebuild the structure, to make it stronger for the future. We all know the major problem with Blitz’ current form is that a coach can be allowed to protect one of his two 1st stars every season, which would allow him to have a pretty strong squad every year. Of course we can just change the rules during the off-seasons and then proceed with a new formula for the protection picks, but this would greatly affect some coaches who have traded in order to get those top 2 players. I think that by doing a redraft, we can establish clear standards about protection picks, upcoming drafts, and this is why I value this option more than all the others mentioned.

I’d like to apologize to minpind, jer, Pearate and LA Robbie, who are all great buds and seemed to be well motivated with their current players, but like King said, it shouldn’t be too hard for you guys to get your squad back or even make it better. As for Houlanov, i don’t think his opinion really matters here since he’s not even playing with the team he drafted for season 08 ^^. So that’s mainly why I don’t think it’s a great idea to let only 4 coaches to go on with a protection system while the other 20 will redraft from the scratch. This is what I think is best for the integrity of the league and the competition between the players. The democracy has spoken and a redraft it shall be.

Ok, maybe, I will have a better team on the paper with the redraft,
but that's not the point, I learned every year, do some mistake in the draft the two first seasons, but my team is better than the last season. And my team has an identity.

I learned to play with this team and this players.

What's trouble me is not the redraft.

I just don't understand why we play different leagues, when we are always playing whit the same rules. Blitz an GDL what's the difference ? just the A group and the B group ? Who is not even a real A or B level...

Just build a good league with a clear calendar, introduce the Y button to mix gens players and snes players.

Put some division In, where A players, B players, C players and new players can play with the strict respect of the level, and strict promotion and relegation at the end of the season.

And a strict calender too for the playoffs !!!

We are sleeping here, Playoffs are totally boring. It took always more time that the season.

And don't forgot to push out the players who don't play their games. Motived players are frustrated here.

Just build a league for casual players.

ah, I forgot to mention the drat, every time an hurry, with a draft every hour, and then what ? One month waiting for the start of the season...

Just start the draft when you are sure we can start the league.

I know it's not easy to run a league, but we are walking round and round here.

This being election day in Ontario, "first past the post" voting, where the person with the most votes wins, is not a good system.

It's better to have a run-off system or ranked vote system.

Ideally there would have been all 3 options, A: redraft, B: choice, C: protection draft.

People rank their choices. EDIT: forgot to mention, you don't have to rank all choices, you can stop at 1 if you only like 1.

If any option gets 50% first-place votes, it wins.

If no option gets 50%, then votes for the option that got the fewest votes are eliminated, and the 2nd votes for those people are added to the remaining votes.

The first one to get 50% is then the winner. In the case of a tie, it's the one with the more 1st-place votes that wins.

This sort of system has greater voter satisfaction.