NHL'94 Forums

Glitch goals/pass goals ruined 94 !

Can someone explain why the pass shot is cheap? I've been working on it. I got on the keyboard. I can't even figure out why I personally would almost ever want to use it. It is often more effective to have a slow shot to the far post that is accurate than a quick pass where you have to be in exactly the right spot/angle.

Am I missing something? I just practiced shootout with it, and I can do it, but I don't get it. Thanks for any input.

If you can't do a pass shot effectively, and your opponent is scoring on you using the pass shot, it'll piss some people (see: hokkee) off.

When you master the pass shot, it's much more effective than any slow shot to the far post. It's a bit overrated, meaning you don't automatically become great because you can score on a pass shot, but adding another weapon to you arsenal is never a bad thing.

• 1 year later...

Just thought I'd add a pass shot video to this great thread for anyone wanting to learn the shot. I think I've included all the regular/easy to learn pass shots from the left, right and center. From close in and far out, and going up screen and down screen.

The pass-shot is a useful tool, but the majority of goals are not pass-shots. Plabax is a unique exception.

Exhibit A: Carse.

He's one of the best to play the game and was not a big pass shooter.

Exhibit B: TomKabs

While he did the occasional pass-shot, he scored with dekes and one-timers:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RtCGFw13Hss

(rarely do you see a pass shot here)

dear god, the music in that video......

sounds like an 80 year old japanese lady slowly getting killed to elevator music.

if you play sound defense in front of the net and limit break aways you effectively neutralize pass shots.

Raph and to a lesser extent Plabax are very good at defending the front of the net. As one of the more frequent pass shooters I love playing guys who allow me to get to the net and unleash the shots.

Like every type of goal in this game, it can be counter.

Learn to defend, learn to manual learn to anticipate.

Learn to do the same to your opponents.

ggs

dear god, the music in that video......

sounds like an 80 year old japanese lady slowly getting killed to elevator music.

Hahaha, JJ prob could care less if the music "fits" the video in any way. He just likes to hear HIS music when he watches the vid.

I think he's talking about the music from Tomkabs Klima video(at least I hope so). All my videos have music from the banditos man of course!

Edited by jackandjose

I don't think the pass shot is imbalanced in itself. I think only Freydey,and Kingraph integrated to the extent where it was an extra tool and not just a new form of play. A lot of coaches that pass goal seem to have sacrificed their traditional game a lot and these two are the only ones that don't make think on a regular basis ''man he could have just shot normally here and it would have been better'' (especially on that cross crease pass shot that rattles off the pipe so much, when the goalie could have bene forced to take a nap).

Freydey's probably the only one that made me think that was straight dumb and shook the balance of GC, but then again I haven't played Zalex recently.

I do however think pass-shot is going to have a negative effect overall on the game. I think overall originally it massively increased the value of speed and devalued the shot and that would work out because everybody had these garbage defenseman that were slow and had terrible D-awareness. Now in response to that (the correct one at least) a lot of people have started (and partly cuz of C-B) to get better skilled guys and clogging the paint a lot.

I think the solution to the clog paint defense is to get guys who can score from the high slot (5 SHP) forcing the defense to stretch vertically opening holes up again (and Kingraph probably figured that out with Kamensky). Bigger problem is that there aren't that many of these guys and as Plabax is happy to point out only 10-15 dudes aren't trash and ship material now. I think once guys start winning more with 5SHP guys it'll cause a metagame where talent is very very scarce.

Clogging the paint is nothing new. Good GC can easily defend the pass shot as well. It's just another way to score. I've seen lots of guys integrate it where it is an extra tool, Icestorm, Zalex, Plabs, as well as Frey, Raph. But nobody uses it as their only shot.

I originally set out to see how far I could get my "old gens" game to compete vs this online community, so I was adverse to changing anything that differed from how I used to play. Also, since it had been over 15 years since I had even played the game, I figured it would take some time for me to get my game back to where it was.

So, about 6 months or so later, I found my original game as I had played on my genesis (or at least that style now played by a much older man), could not compete at a higher level vs this online community, especially the guys who have been playing here for years and continually upgrading their games/styles.

However, I found I had WAY MORE fun playing the old way, as it consisted of a C checking whore style, ram your goalie, mash and bash. Went great with late night drinking as well :)

Now, as the years have passed, and having gone to Toronto live, I found myself wanting to adapt and actual care to compete some. But, REAL LIFE tends to make this progression move at a snail's pace.

STILL, having B shots to learn/practice, C/B to add to your game, different styles to try out, really gives this game another refresh button to me.

B shots are fun, but require a more soberness to learn!!!

With that, Raph commented how only 13% of the goals scored in the finals were from B shots, but I contend that take away 1 goal a game away from someone in a series for every series in the playoffs, and you probably aren't wearing that crown in the end.

Maybe I'm wrong, but they don't make your game great, but NOT having them is a handicap I think at the upper level you can survive.

With that, Raph commented how only 13% of the goals scored in the finals were from B shots, but I contend that take away 1 goal a game away from someone in a series for every series in the playoffs, and you probably aren't wearing that crown in the end.

That 13% is also skewed. There is a serious flaw in the sample set: these two guys got to the finals, after all. They were the best or close to the best of the lot. Undoubtedly, their high skill level canceled out the prevalence of pass shots on one another.

I bet there are times when either one of them scores a much higher % of their goals via the pass shot, even at the A level, against weaker opponents. If they detect a weakness (whether pass shot defense or one timers or whatever) they will exploit it. Of course against some B level players, this would be even more so.

I disagree about %'s going up w/ Raph & Plabax. Only guy I know who uses heavy amounts of pass shots would be Ice.

The others mix it in with their game, and you see it more on a break away.

Like any other shot an A level player attempts vs a B player, a HIGHER percentage of them go in, including their pass shots.

B players rarely have quality manual goalie control, which is one of the leading reasons to being B. (And a side note, if you want to increase your manual goalie, draft a crappy one in GDL and play for a season with Hasek/Hrudy/Beaupre rubber boards. You will have no choice but to learn to get better at it! )

I disagree about %'s going up w/ Raph & Plabax. Only guy I know who uses heavy amounts of pass shots would be Ice.

To be clear, I am saying that Raph VERSUS Plabax means a lower % of successful pass shot goals. If Raph played someone worse than Plabax, he may well have a higher % of pass shot goals. Do we agree on this, or you feel the opposite?

I think it's the same %.

He would score 8, instead of 4 say.

8 instead of 4. So, maybe the percentage goes up to 20% from 13% on some nights, and below on others, but the SCORING goes up, as welll as ALL other scoring percentages.

MOST top scoring guys in A specialize in the the combo of one timer & deke w/ a sprinkle of B shot/slap shot. So, the B guy gives up plenty of chances for all of these, especially the deke's, more so than the B shot, in my opinion.

So I would say if they WANTED to, they could score more on B shot vs a B player, but I would not say they even attempt it more often.

You don't need pass shots or CB checks to beat the top dawgs.

Especially pass shots. They help but eh, not a necessity.

Yes, Raph has sometimes mentioned that Kgman is elite, but doesn't do pass shots (or possibly CB either)... but...

I would guess he would be slightly better if he did do these things!

(But it could be argued in doing so, he would tweak the solid game he has in a bad direction, and his overall skill would stay the same or get worse, but I don't personally think so. If he did the pass shots and CB only where appropriate -- like Raph -- I think it would make his strong game even stronger.)

Crusading for our cause Tomkabs.

JR collecting the blood price

FPB, those stats are outrageous!

WOW! :exciting: and that is without Pass Shots or CB?

You don't need pass shots or CB checks to beat the top dawgs.

Especially pass shots. They help but eh, not a necessity.

Again thanks TK, just what I want to hear.

However, I found I had WAY MORE fun playing the old way,

Brutus! Right on, I hope you continue to play that way.

AQ, I love the discussions you get going, but on this point, I've got to disagree.

Yes, Raph has sometimes mentioned that Kgman is elite, but doesn't do pass shots (or possibly CB either)... but...

I would guess he would be slightly better if he did do these things!

He won the single most important and greatest NHL 94 event.

Many different styles are and can be successful. We live in a copy cat world. We see something new that works and everyone runs to incorporate it. Often times to their detriment. I am not saying learning new things or trying to incorporate it into your game is bad. I am just saying be careful with over analyzing things.

Would Tom Brady be better if he could run the Zone Read? Answer is NO, he wouldn't be Tom Brady.

Would Gretzky have been better if he was faster? or had an overpowering shot? Answer is NO, he wouldn't be Wayne Gretzky.

FPB, those stats are outrageous!

WOW! :exciting: and that is without Pass Shots or CB?

Again thanks TK, just what I want to hear.

Brutus! Right on, I hope you continue to play that way.

AQ, I love the discussions you get going, but on this point, I've got to disagree.

He won the single most important and greatest NHL 94 event.

Many different styles are and can be successful. We live in a copy cat world. We see something new that works and everyone runs to incorporate it. Often times to their detriment. I am not saying learning new things or trying to incorporate it into your game is bad. I am just saying be careful with over analyzing things.

Would Tom Brady be better if he could run the Zone Read? Answer is NO, he wouldn't be Tom Brady.

Would Gretzky have been better if he was faster? or had an overpowering shot? Answer is NO, he wouldn't be Wayne Gretzky.

On a side note Tom Brady does actually run a version of the zone read, he just does it with quick screen passes instead of running it with it himself, same concept read the D, and either hand it off, or throw it out wide to a WR who acts as the option a running QB would be.

Just a different version of the spread offense that doesn't get talked about much.

Anyways carry on about NHL 94 sorry for the off base intrusion.