NHL'94 Forums

Ninety Flow 2014-2015

trudatman

THIS IS A DISCUSSION/UPDATE TOPIC -- IF YOU ARE LOOKING FOR A ROM, BACK OUT OR CLICK MY SIGNATURE

well, the next update is generally the easiest major one, as I'll leave everybody's ratings alone and just work on newcomers and set lines. it should be done in the first month or so of the next season. here's the thing, though: we should take this time to make this thing cool(er). I really need hacking partners. this project needs some innovation. it's the only "updated rosters" hack for the SNES that has had any constance, but it lack some punch, some newness, some polishing. what might partners do?

-ASM-type hacking - player physics, fatigue and rest rates, clock speed, adding more selectable options when changing lines, having a time clock with real speed instead of the fast ticking, having a flashing popup after goals and in last two minutes instead of the constant scoreboard overlay, the real stuff
-pointer work - roster expansion, team number additions, ice graphics updates, more player tile edits, the cool stuff
-alternate versions - two-on-two releases, multiplayer versions with big glaring icons, the popular stuff
-betatesting - reviewing, fact checking, bug hunting, the important stuff
-sounds - write new tunes, change whistles and horns, adjust grunts and collision noises, the flourishes
-stuff - match handednesses and player cards, remove uniform colors from stopping snowspray, fixing West Stars slot in playoffs bracket displays, getting goalies freed to roam further, space addition between initial and name in popup and lists, removal of logos and copyrights, the other stuff

if you can help me make this thing better, please volunteer your services. if the Ninety Flow ROMs can help you develop your skills/projects, please use them in any way that you see fit, short of pulling a profit. I'm going to keep doing what I do, but it's really not enough. the SNES crew deserves a better hack. they deserve innovations and improvements. they deserve a team of dedicated enthusiasts willing to work together. I could even be willing to pay for services mentioned above. can you help? do you know somebody who can? take some action. don't worry that it won't go anywhere, because I'm a motivated coordinator for such a project and I'm almost definitely going to keep doing this thing anyway.

thanks for reading this. questions, comments and critiques are always welcomed. please respond in whatever way you see fit.

Edited by trudatman

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I've been thinking about starting to move players around to their new teams. who wants in on making this thing theirs, too?

• 1 month later...

nobody? well, I guess that makes this easy for me. I know my limitations and what I can accomplish. I have four or five rosters left to (preliminarily) revamp before making tweaks and setting lines after the season starts. I would need help with anything else that could be done. please read the first post and respond if you can help in any way.

got the last few teams done and made the necessary uniform changes for ANA and STL. lines will be done in a couple of months. I guess I'll work on other projects.

• 4 weeks later...

so, the time has come. if anybody is at all inclined to assist, it would need to be nowish. I expect to have an update ready in about a month. it would be nice to have it be better instead of just newer.

so, I have a sad little story to tell. I realized that my avatar's dude was underrated. his 83 was based on a late-season +3, but he ended the year with +20, so he should be a superstar in this thing. so I was recalculating the team I use the most and used the full season of statistics to recreate overall ratings. I also used even-strength time on ice instead of just time on ice. only fair if I'm using +/- as my key factor, right? duh. so, I should redo the whole league. my girlfriend won't like that. I'll just make her help again.

anyway, I may be delaying this thing a while. it'll still get done, as usual, but it could be more than a month away. sorry, but it'll be for the better.

What kind of documentation is available on the SNES version of this game? I'm sure it's in the forum somewhere but I don't have the time right now to search. I like the list of things you want done to this game to make it even better. I only have light hacking experience on 2 other SNES games so I probably won't be able to contribute much, if anything at all

http://forum.nhl94.com/index.php?/topic/13150-snes-nhl94-rom-mapping-project is the best collection of our collective knowledge. if you are at all good at hacking, maybe you can help me figure out the roster expansion stuff. it's in there, somewhat, but I can't get my brain around it. thanks for chiming in, either way.

yes, it's very possible; add them back! it's not that hard, but I have no interest in taking the time to do it, certainly not for the main version. one of the things I'm looking for somebody to do is variations. 2-on-2, icons back, whatever. it would be fairly easy to do: open mine and the original next to each other in TileLayerPro and you are most of the way there. I've even given diagrams of where these things are and how to make sure you are doing it right. I'm not go to do it as any sort of priority because I love it without the huge clown shoes. the icons are there, they are just small. they are, however, larger than they were in other seasons of this ROM series.

• 3 weeks later...
What about AHL you ever thought of doing that TRU-AHL 14-15. Furthermore, you could do these leagues below your work is amazing. I also run a radio and can promote you and make a commercial for your stuff also if you have a logo I can link to your site?

What I would like to do for a league is have NHL, AHL, WHL, OHL, QJMHL but have each league in WBGS and players can run them, and NHL will draft from them, and stuff would be cool also we can make custom players and add custom players say me I am 28, so I would have to play in ECHL.

Edited by wbgs_radio

that sounds like way too much work. I'm sticking to what I know and barely have time for as it is. plus, NHL logos would be all over them as we don't know how to be rid of them all yet on the SNES side of things. this is probably more possible as a Genesis concept, as they can change the logos and the number of teams and more that SNES folks have yet to accomplish.

that sounds like way too much work. I'm sticking to what I know and barely have time for as it is. plus, NHL logos would be all over them as we don't know how to be rid of them all yet on the SNES side of things. this is probably more possible as a Genesis concept, as they can change the logos and the number of teams and more that SNES folks have yet to accomplish.

Well, some of this has been done already and what you say has already been done on SNES and Gensis you need to learn Tile Layer or whatever to do graphics its on the site tutorials and there are videos if I do it? I am doing it for my own release so yeah all I am saying is if I have to learn this, then I am making my own stuff. Furthermore, SNES people bash Gensis yet I see better mods made there any ways and the games are better and less buggy.

There is much easier way I suppose.

First you need to know offsets, where the star indicators are located in the rom. Open the graphics editor (TLP), open the original rom, delete the star indicators completely, save the rom, then open hexeditor and compare this edited rom with the original one. Now you should know the offsets.

Copy the values at these offsets from the original rom to Ninety Flow rom. If it does not work, copy everything from Ninety Flow except offsets where the star indicators are located to the original, unaltered, rom. This should work.

Edited by DominikJagr

editing the stars and arrows back in would be pretty easy, compared to the rest of the stuff I'd like done. I really only suggest it as something to do because I know that's what people want. I personally have no use for such a version. it would probably take me an hour to put that stuff back, maybe less if I did it the easier way, although that would make the puck bigger, too, so replacing that area of the ROM wouldn't be how I'd do it. if somebody else did it, they could be the hero and I could stay the villain. it would involve somebody in the project(s) and maybe lead to my having a partner in this besides my girlfriend who runs statistics with me when I get overwhelmed. blah, blah, blah. it would be easy and I'd be willing to explain it for a, like, sixth time if somebody felt inclined to do it.

I think WBGS and I were discussing the team menu logos, though. a language barrier is what I suspect kept us from understanding each other. he's enthusiastic, but I don't really follow through his whole posts so far.

thanks for the discussions, guys. feel free to add more!

editing the stars and arrows back in would be pretty easy, compared to the rest of the stuff I'd like done. I really only suggest it as something to do because I know that's what people want. I personally have no use for such a version. it would probably take me an hour to put that stuff back, maybe less if I did it the easier way, although that would make the puck bigger, too, so replacing that area of the ROM wouldn't be how I'd do it. if somebody else did it, they could be the hero and I could stay the villain. it would involve somebody in the project(s) and maybe lead to my having a partner in this besides my girlfriend who runs statistics with me when I get overwhelmed. blah, blah, blah. it would be easy and I'd be willing to explain it for a, like, sixth time if somebody felt inclined to do it.

I think WBGS and I were discussing the team menu logos, though. a language barrier is what I suspect kept us from understanding each other. he's enthusiastic, but I don't really follow through his whole posts so far.

thanks for the discussions, guys. feel free to add more!

Well, I don't get you show post of you in Tile editor pro, and yet you resist it is hard to do that? Help me understand what is going on in your brain, I am not you never will be just asking also not trying to be rude, but I am confused if you don't know tile editor pro why post on it or where you looking for help?

Edited by wbgs_radio

player icons? I don't want to do it. I know how, but I have no interest in changing it back to include the stupid stars and arrows. I listed it as something somebody else can do. other people want it with stars and arrows, so I am inviting them to add them back in. I'm willing to help, but I don't care to actually do it. I'd rather have this discussion indefinitely than put the work in to doing a thing I don't actually want done. I suggested that others can make alternate versions to share, like a two-on-two ROM with the stars or whatever. I'm opening the whole project up to involve and include anybody interested enough to put in a bit of work.

the menu team logos? those are not yet a thing we know how to alter.

Edited by tru

<p>player icons?  I don't want to do it.  I know how, but I have no interest in changing it back to include the stupid stars and arrows.  I listed it as something somebody else can do.  other people want it with stars and arrows, so I am inviting them to add them back in.  I'm willing to help, but I don't care to actually do it.  I'd rather have this discussion indefinitely than put the work in to doing a thing I don't actually want done.  I suggested that others can make alternate versions to share, like a two-on-two ROM with the stars or whatever.  I'm opening the whole project up to involve and include anybody interested enough to put in a bit of work.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>the menu team logos?  those are not yet a thing we know how to alter.</p>

You edit them by using Tile editor pro or does that work? for SNES

I used Tile Layer Pro for editing for editing out the icons and changing the size of the puck and replacing the error in the crowd with a midget/baby and for changing the popup/menu borders and changing the goal graphics and other assorted stuff.

You can change ice logos as well no joke. You're also missing teams like Arizona Coyotes so fare that's all I noticed. Furthermore, the smoothness is not there compared to Genesis good edit but 94 on SNES. I don't like 94 on SNES it's sluggish, in my opinion so yeah sorry for for the bashing but can you make a Genesis version or that impossible?

Edited by wbgs_radio

I'm not into Genesis and I don't have time to relearn it. I made a great Genesis hack years ago, but it really was only to explore player/puck physics hacking and I ended up making a Genesis game with skating much more like the SNES version. it was neat, but it isn't something I share because it will remain incomplete. there is much more to do as much more is known about that version.

with SNES there is only so much discovered. we can't do 30 teams, so a couple of expansion teams need to be cut. yeah, we've started swapping ice logos around and removing them, but menu logo stuff and logo graphics editing have been elusive so far. if you are good at such stuff, there is plenty left to discover about SNES NHL '94 hacking. SNES is sluggish? I've only heard/read/noticed the opposite.

I'm not into Genesis and I don't have time to relearn it. I made a great Genesis hack years ago, but it really was only to explore player/puck physics hacking and I ended up making a Genesis game with skating much more like the SNES version. it was neat, but it isn't something I share because it will remain incomplete. there is much more to do as much more is known about that version.

with SNES there is only so much discovered. we can't do 30 teams, so a couple of expansion teams need to be cut. yeah, we've started swapping ice logos around and removing them, but menu logo stuff and logo graphics editing have been elusive so far. if you are good at such stuff, there is plenty left to discover about SNES NHL '94 hacking. SNES is sluggish? I've only heard/read/noticed the opposite.

Well if I do anything, it will be Gensis as for SNES, I think once I learn one the second one becomes easier let me learn some of this, and I'll see about doing this, I usually don't do other people's mods, unless we make a deal where I promote the mod and stuff on my radio the deal has to be big for me to do something you know I am not benefiting just trying to give exposure also we can be supporters also you, I only work with people that believe in what WBGS does that's anti-racism and stuff like that I hope you understand. Furthermore, when mod teams lock down their mods and don't allow modifying then that's where I don't work for anyone who does that cause with your mods not being modified there is no chance to create other leagues so have been AHL or other league mods made based on yours if we cant use your mod

as base then I don't work for you.

Team menu logos or team ice logos can't be altered, these graphics are crunched (that's a main difference to Genesis version), without decrunching them it's not possible to alter them in any way.

Ad star indicators - should be possible to make hybrid of the original rom (with star indicators) and Ninety Flow rom (with all the changes) via Hex Editor. It's a task for couple of minutes, read above and try.

Why someone who is not interested in SNES asks questions about SNES editing?

Edited by DominikJagr

Team menu logos or team ice logos can't be altered, these graphics are crunched (that's a main difference to Genesis version), without decrunching them it's not possible to alter them in any way.

Ad star indicators - should be possible to make hybrid of the original rom (with star indicators) and Ninety Flow rom (with all the changes) via Hex Editor. It's a task for couple of minutes, read above and try.

Why someone who is not interested in SNES asks questions about SNES editing?

I never asked about SNES and I am not interested in it lol weird but ok.

Edited by wbgs_radio

this whole thread/section is about a SNES hack series!

I'm cool with anti-racism and everybody is always free to use my projects in any way they see fit, as long as it's not for profit.

Well at most i can advertise you on my radio or your mod i would need a script and a song instrumental so promote you.

Edited by wbgs_radio