NHL'94 Forums

NHL'94 World Cup Tournament - Info/Q&A

smozoma

This thread is for information, questions, and answers about the NHL'94 World Cup Tournament I want to set up (Genesis version).

To sign up: to keep things organized, please use the Signup thread.

The first thing I should get out of the way: this World Cup tournament has nothing to do with countries. It's just set up in the same way as the Soccer World Cup:

• Qualifying stage (August?)
  • Group stage (September?)
  • Tournament stage (October?)
  • We'll play with either the original ROM or a weight-bug-fixed and goalie-control-button ROM.
  • In each stage you qualify for, you'll play against 3-4 other coaches in best-of-7 series.
  • In each stage of the tournament, you can only play with each team (CHI, DET, etc) for one game, so selecting your team for each game becomes critical to your success.

I don't know how many people will sign up, so I can't give exactly how it will work, but here's the idea if there are 32 coaches.

Qualifying Stage

1. Coaches play against 3 other randomly-selected coaches in best-of-7 series.
  2. They must use a different team for each game. 3 x best-of-7 = max 21 teams used.
  3. Coaches receive +20 pts per series win, +10 pts per game win, -10 pts per game loss, +1pt per goal for, -1pt per goal against.
    1. Instead of +/- per goal, might base the goal portion of your points based on your ratio of goals for and against (so as not to penalize coaches who go for low-scoring games).
  4. After all the games are done, all the coaches are ranked by their points total.
  5. The coaches are then distributed into 4-team groups for the Group stage, in such a way that the groups have roughly the same skill distributions, so the groups are relatively fair (unlike the soccer World Cup!).
  6. I may make use of the "Power Ranking" formula I used on the Blitz website that rates coaches based on who they played against and how well those teams did (so if you played against coaches who did well, you get extra points to make up for having a tough set of randomly-selected opponents).

Group Stage

1. Works the same as the Qualifying stage, except your opponents aren't random, they're based on the results of the Qualifying stage.
  2. I may remove the complicated scoring system and simply go to series wins/losses to avoid problems. Then we'd need tie-breakers, which could be game wins/losses difference and then goals for/against ratio or difference.
  3. Like the world cup, the top two teams from each group move on to the Tournament!

Tournament Stage

1. At this point, we'll have 16 teams left, who play a tournament until there is a winner.
  2. We could do it like the soccer World Cup where the bracket is pre-defined, or we could use some kind of re-seeding for each round, maybe based on Qualifying + Group stage points.
  3. As in the other stages, you can't reuse teams during this stage.
  4. With 16 coaches, it takes 4 series to win the Tournament, which would be 28 games. That's more games than there are teams (no, you can't use the All Stars ;)).
    1. So we'd have to turn the first round into best-of-5, so it's 5+7+7+7 = All 26 teams.
    2. Or we'd reset the team restriction after the 2nd or 3rd round.
  5. Eventually someone wins the NHL'94 World Cup!

Scheduling

For each matchup, I (or someone else) will start a group forum conversation with the two coaches to encourage them to schedule a time to play. Breaking a scheduled time could result in an automatic loss, but I hope it won't come to that. During the first two stages, you'll have a month to play 3 series -- it shouldn't be hard!

Additional Ideas

Just ideas at this point, not incorporated into the tournament, yet.

1. Have the World Cup hosted on the NHL'94 site so there are stats, and to help keep track of points and which teams you can play with. If Qualifying and Group stages depend on games won/lost and goals for/against, having stats could help prevent lying about game results to help points totals.
  2. We could add a geographic component to the World Cup by arranging the Groups based on coach location. Wouldn't want to do it that way every tournament, though.
  3. In the Finals for the World Cup, reset the coachs' teams so they can use the best teams and to make the final not depend on how hard it was to get to the final.
  4. To avoid the 28-game problem in the Tournament, actually force the finalists to use All Stars East and All Stars West for the first two games of the series.

Potential Problems

1. Playoffs in leagues always seem to take forever because things need to be done in order. The Tournament stage could be very slow.
  2. During the Qualifying and Group stages, people may delay playing against someone in order to better control the teams they have left to play with. Possible solutions:
    1. Predefine the order coaches must play in. But a predefined order could make it take a very long time to complete these stages.
    2. Instead of having to not reuse any teams during whole stages, just make it so you can't reuse a team during each series. This is sort of boring, though, because it'llbe an endless cycle of CHI, DET, MTL…
    3. Combined with solution 2.: For each series, have a randomly-generated list of 10-15 teams that neither coach can play with.
  3. Lying/colluding to improve ranking points. Potential solutions:
    1. Having to upload games would help prevent this. Even if the site isn't sophisticated and simply lists all the uploaded games (features such as ranking points could be calculated manually initially and only added to the site later if the tournament is a success).
    2. If you've been watching the World Cup, you may have noticed that the final Group stage games are played at the same time -- this is to help avoid teams changing how they play based on the other games' results. So the final games of the Qualifying and Group stages could be reported in secret until all of them are done.

If you'd like to sign up, use the Signup thread!

original rom :P

and no all star teams in final...this is just silly..

Would no one prefer a pick a team & stick with them format? In that way you're seeing if you can get, LA for example qualified for the main tournament, then can you get them out of their group into the knockout stage etc.

Love the idea, just for me I prefer having a team for a season. Swapping teams each game feels like Kings warm-up tournament format

Would no one prefer a pick a team & stick with them format? In that way you're seeing if you can get, LA for example qualified for the main tournament, then can you get them out of their group into the knockout stage etc.

Love the idea, just for me I prefer having a team for a season. Swapping teams each game feels like Kings warm-up tournament format

There is no fun in that. Swapping teams is best.

weight bug fix

don't mind allstar tms in final, I think its a "silly" good idea; but if you are gonna have them in the finals it might as well be for the whole series :dal_skater_hand_grab:

Edited by kupuck19