NHL'94 Forums

DOS NHL Hockey - why doesn't anybody play this?

tru

trades and leagues and two-line pass calls and....

why isn't this popular? everybody go download it free and get it set up on your DOS computer (not emulator) and give it a try.

I haven't figured out changing the controller buttons, but the game is fun. kind of simulatory and clunky, but lots of fun.

what do you think?

trades and leagues and two-line pass calls and....why isn't this popular? everybody go download it free and get it set up on your DOS computer (not emulator) and give it a try.I haven't figured out changing the controller buttons, but the game is fun. kind of simulatory and clunky, but lots of fun.what do you think?

I've always like the DOS version of '95 better. I tried to get into NHL Hockey, but I just didn't enjoy it as much.

I enjoyed my few single games when I had tried this in the past, but I've recently given it a proper go. it's excellent. if you like Genesis '92 and/or SNES '94, you'll probably enjoy this thing. it's not going to hold up the the playability of the flow, but it's in the game. there's too much to mention that is lacking in this game, but it also has a lot of other stuff, like:

-season play

-fourth lines

-two-line whistles

-interactive refereeing

-scratching/dressing

there's a high level of scoring variety. slapshots and rebound shoves go in. there are plays that develop very much like set plays and there is a fairly predictable momentum. it has decent AI and logical matchup factoring. it has a lot going for it, but it isn't perfect. I spent a while trying to find the nonexistent third action button. it certainly sucks to not have all of those other control commands, but having just shoot/check and pass/poke/selection works pretty well.

if I could have figured out screenshots I'd be showing one with crowd signage, the ref skating with his back to the play, the goal light on....during one of sixteen frames after the puck settles in the net where the goalie is shown as a regular skater. I'm sorry this post isn't prettier. I encourage you to give this game an hour and see it in action for yourself.

Edited by tru

I've always like the DOS version of '95 better. I tried to get into NHL Hockey, but I just didn't enjoy it as much.

Yeah NHL 95 for PC/DOS as all of these features too. Great game/fun game but I don't think the DOSbox emu allows possibility for online multiplayer :(

Yeah NHL 95 for PC/DOS as all of these features too. Great game/fun game but I don't think the DOSbox emu allows possibility for online multiplayer :(

It doesn't which sucks because the AI sucks, making it real easy to run up the score. I've won games 28-1 before.

so... it's like NHL '94 for the other systems. I haven't really run up the score, yet, but I'm not using one of the best teams and I haven't figured out mapping the controller, making my first instinct on every play to be the opposite of what I should do, so maybe I'll get to the point where I can run up the score. right now I'm one month into a season with the Bruins and I've lost like four games with five-minute periods by a goal or two and won the rest by like four goals at the most. I'm not trying to say this game is best version of '94, but it sure isn't the worst and it's fun.