NHL'94 Forums

Blitz 09 "B" League team rankings

Hey,

Here's how I see the strength of the relative rosters. Just my opinion on the players, not taking into consideration the coaches involved. Someone else who knows all the coaches current levels better than me can take a punt on B league odds.

I actually think this could be the most exciting B league ever, for 2 reasons: 1) The lack of a clear "A" league player as there has been in previous seasons, meaning a number of guys will think this could be their year, and 2) The amount of the roms biggest stars in this season's B league. There is a huge number of seemingly stacked rosters here, which is going to mean again, every guy has a jewel capable of winning any game with a little magic.

1) COLORADO (Jack & Jose) Probable starting line: Bondra, Mario Lemieux, Linden, Duchesne, Weinrich, Vernon. Most balanced lineup in this season's rom? Magic of Mario nicely supplied by Bondra's pace & Linden's all round game

2) PHILADELPHIA (Skeletor) Probable startting line: Carson, Mogilny, Dineen, Smith Chiasson, Puppa. Arguably the best offence in the rom with goals galore from Mogilny & Carson. Could be an unstoppable partnership. Smith & Chiasson will dominate on D. Will the goalie be the achilles heel?

3) ST. LOUIS (Brutus) Probable starting line: Bellows, Hull, Emerson, Hatcher, McSorley, Vanbiesbrk. No idea how you get so lucky to draft Hull, Hatcher & McSorley onto the same roster! The best D in the rom maybe, & Hull's skating, weight & of course that monster shot makes this a contender for the B leagues #1 team. A goalie who's solid enough, but is definitely on the wrong side of the "good goalies" line

4) EDMONTON (Minpind) Probable starting line: Ridley, Messier, Stevens, Johansson, Tatarinov, Joseph. Monstrous team with 2 of the most physically dominant forwards in the rom, accompanied by Ridley's good skills & weight. A top class goalie means this team is superb in all areas, although speed & a genuine regular scorer could be concerns (Although not for me)

5) TAMPA BAY (Sicarius) Probable starting line: LaFontaine, Neely, Reichel, Manson, Diduck, McLean. Another brilliantly rounded roster, with Neely dominating on both sides of the puck to score & assist two superb wingers in LaFont & Reichel. Neely is my bet for top assister in this season's B league. Manson's huge shot will chip in, in addition to forming a formidable D partnership with Diduck & the goalie is more than good enough.

6) PHOENIX (Probob) Probable starting line: Shanahan, Bure, Ricci, Numminem, Tinordi, Roy. Don't be fooled at this team's 6th place. That's only because of the amount of superstars in this season's B league. Bure can win any game solo, but with Shanhan's weight & superb sniping, plus Ricci's goals & all round game this is another contender for the best forward line in the league. Numminem & Tinordi provoke questions, but having played Probob I know this team's D is no issue at all, especially with the game's best goalie in between the sticks! Awesome job drafting this season Probob!

7) TORONTO (Jer33) Probable starting line: Gilmour, Selanne, Poulin, Brown, Lidster, Potvin. I can't believe I put this roster #7! Just shows the strength of this season's B league. Selannne & GGilmour form yet another star offensive line with Poulin providing some defensive balance in support. Brown & Lidster look a weakness without the puck, but Potvin is another star between the pipes. Weight could be their downfall, but this looks a gorgeous attacking team

8) SAN JOSE (Fitzo) Probable starting line: Nemchinov, Sandstrom, Russ Courtnall, Suter, Murphy, Hasek. Sandstrom & Russ will be a ridiculous partnership, full of goals, & Murphy & Suter will add to the attacking threat as well as keep it tight on D. Goalie has to be a major worry though?

9) BOSTON (Donnybrook) Probable starting line: Ronning, Turgeon, Tikkanen, Schneider, Hawgood, Blue. Yet again another roster that many will argue has the best forward line in the league. Simply awesome. Weight, speed, goalscoring. Has it all. Looks a real top heavy roster though. A weak looking D, and having used Blue in Blitz 06 I can say he's a usable goalie but can be a liability at times. Donnybrook's games will be shoot outs, but with the attacking talent he could win them all 10-9!

10) DETROIT (Gretzkyonacold) Probable starting line: Sundin, Ciccarelli, Clark, Smehlik, Richardson, Barrasso. Nicely balanced team with 3 brilliant shooters on offence, and two big, if unspectacular Dmen protecting a top goalie. Offensive weight a definite issue here though, & physical games could be a huge problem

11) PITTSBURGH (Labs66) Probable starting line: Oates, BrindAmour, Hawerchuk, Chelios, Iafrate, Soderstrom. Yet another B league roster with several stars. The offence looks good without carrying the same threat as other teams, but still has enough to score on anyone. The D partnership looks fantastic & will score & assist as well as be dependable to protect a very good goalie. Another balanced & attractive attacking team.

12) CALGARY (Chaos) Probable starting line: Zhamnov, Robitaille, Khristich, Zalapski, Ulf Samuelsson, Richter. This is just ridiculous that i've made this the #12 team. It's really nice, but Chaos' success in reaching the 08 B finals limited his ability to draft the big names in this draft. It's still a strong team though & in any other Blitz season would be right up there. One of the best defences in the B league, with another solid goalie who won't win too many games but won't lose many either. This team won't be easy to beat. The offence has 3 silky forwards but who might all be more the playmaker than the goalscorer. Without the puck they don't offer much help onn D, but they all suit Chaos' style though. Again, don't be fooled by the #12 ranking, this team could easily take Chaos to another B finals!

So there you have it. B league is too close to call this season because the quality of every team is ridiculous. I seriously don't know who will end up champ. You really can't call a favourite right now IMO.

Would be interested to see how King's rating system ranks these teams

Thanks for the writeup. Does anyone know what formula Raph used?

I use my own set of formulas (my own bias...if I took the time, I'd come up with something that combines my own w/ ADP, but it's quick) to come up with overall for each player. Then I rank the top 4 F, top 3 D and 1G, give them weights as follows

1F (6), 2F (3), 3F (2), 4F (1), 1D (3), 2D (2), 3D (1), 1G (1).

So more weighted towards the Forwards.

And get the average weight for an overall team score. Here's how I'd rate the B group teams purely on numbers, no adjusting. This is NOT an odds piece, because I'd factor in a "coach rating" that would be worth 3x these ratings (or something).

COL (Jackandjose)

F: 10.0 D: 7.0 G: 7.5 OVR: 9.5

M. Lemieux, T. Linden, P. Bondra, S. Duchesne, E. Weinrich, M. Vernon

PHI (Skeletor)

F: 9.0 D: 8.0 G: 6.5 OVR: 9.0

A. Mogilny, J. Carson, M. Pivonka, S. Smith, S. Chiasson, K. Hrudey

PIT (LABS_66)

F: 7.5 D: 9.5 G: 8.5 OVR: 9.0

A. Oates, R. BrindAmour, D. Hawerchuk, A. Iafrate, C. Chelios, T. Soderstrom

EDM (minpind)

F: 8.5 D: 7.0 G: 8.0 OVR: 8.5

M. Messier, K. Stevens, M. Ridley, C. Johansson, M. Tatarinov, C. Joseph

TB (Sicarius)

F: 8.0 D: 8.0 G: 7.0 OVR: 8.0

C. Neely, P. LaFontaine, R. Reichel, D. Manson, G. Diduck, K. McLean

STL (Brutus)

F: 7.5 D: 8.0 G: 7.0 OVR: 8.0

B. Hull, B. Bellows, J. Leclair, K. Hatcher, M. McSorley, J. Vanbiesbrk

CGY (Chaos)

F: 7.5 D: 9.0 G: 7.0 OVR: 8.0

L. Robitaille, A. Zhamnov, D. Khristich, Z. Zalapski, U. Samuelsson, M. Richter

TOR (jer_33)

F: 8.5 D: 6.5 G: 8.5 OVR: 8.0

T. Selanne, D. Gilmour, B. Holik, J. Brown, D. Lidster, F. Potvin

PHX (PRoBob38)

F: 7.5 D: 6.5 G: 10.0 OVR: 7.0

P. Bure, B. Shanahan, M. Ricci, M. Tinordi, T. Numminen, P. Roy

BOS (donnybrook)

F: 8.5 D: 6.0 G: 7.0 OVR: 7.0

E. Tikkanen, P. Turgeon, C. Ronning, K. Samuelsson, M. Schneider, J. Blue

HFD (hokkee)

F: 5.0 D: 10.0 G: 9.0 OVR: 7.0

D. Andreychuk, S. Momesso, B. Probert, R. Bourque, N. Lidstrom, G. Fuhr

DET (gretzkyonacold)

F: 7.0 D: 6.0 G: 7.5 OVR: 5.0

D. Ciccarelli, W. Clark, M. Sundin, R. Smehlik, L. Richardson, T. Barrasso

After quicky looking, I'd probably love to play with Brutus or Donnybrook's team, despite the ratings.

I use my own set of formulas (my own bias...if I took the time, I'd come up with something that combines my own w/ ADP, but it's quick) to come up with overall for each player. Then I rank the top 4 F, top 3 D and 1G, give them weights as follows

1F (6), 2F (3), 3F (2), 4F (1), 1D (3), 2D (2), 3D (1), 1G (1).

Thanks! So, the formula itself is a trade secret?

Edited by Skeletor