NHL'94 Forums

If you were running the classic league...

halifax

...what would it look like?

...how would you structure each league?

...what rules would you change?

I would make it like Kingraph's survivor.....

but that's only me.

I would make it like Kingraph's survivor.....

but that's only me.

we had dscussed this at one point but I believe it would be a lot of work for Chaos to set the site up with stats for all of the different teams that each coach ends up using.

I would allow Hokkeefan20987675655 the ability to have multiple teams again, but this time with the same name.

nhl94 is a serious business...please take this seriously.

Free pizza

and 4 minute periods

1 minute periods would be awesome.....then we could have a 84 game league.

I read the question as for the fall/spring classic leagues & not a custom league, so based my opinion/options off that.

First, I'd do team selection as an actual draft w/ a ranked selection or random order, but I always hated the selection process.

Second, I'd have three leagues, a) B) & c).

For c, if new guys stop playing, those games are deleted and a new coach is found. Having a sub start mid season is dumb & ruins the stats for that guy & others who did/did not get to play.

Third, depending on how many play, consider splitting schedule into conferences based on time zones that guys play, & you do not play teams outside your zone till playoffs.

Shorten time for check points & get to playoffs faster, & put time slots on playoff rounds to keep momentum. Over the years a few forfeits would have been better than dragging a post season till no one cares who won.

I would allow Hokkeefan20987675655 the ability to have multiple teams again, but this time with the same name.

I would have one of the requirements be that everyone would have to be drunk before games so we could all feel how it is to be Hokkee.

I read the question as for the fall/spring classic leagues & not a custom league, so based my opinion/options off that.

First, I'd do team selection as an actual draft w/ a ranked selection or random order, but I always hated the selection process.

For c, if new guys stop playing, those games are deleted and a new coach is found. Having a sub start mid season is dumb & ruins the stats for that guy & others who did/did not get to play.

Third, depending on how many play, consider splitting schedule into conferences based on time zones that guys play, & you do not play teams outside your zone till playoffs.

Shorten time for check points & get to playoffs faster, & put time slots on playoff rounds to keep momentum. Over the years a few forfeits would have been better than dragging a post season till no one cares who won.

The biggest problem seems to be guys not showing up to play. Maybe having a preseason where you have to play a minimum amount of games to be allowed in one of the leagues? That might weed out some of the guys who aren't going to make the time.

preseason and time-zone-based conferences are great ideas. I know I have maybe less than no say, but I prefer my games with all options on. I also like them at full length.

Limit each league to a max. # of coaches (no more then a dozen per lg) and make the waitlists stronger. Playing in leagues where there is a competitive environment should be treated more as a privilege, when we let everyone that signs up into the league is where a lot of problems with classic start in my opinion. Maybe for new coaches we could have a small league with a short 20 game regular season.

Time zone conferences would be highly disproportionate, there are far more of coaches that live in Eastern time zones and barely any that live in Pacific time zones. By the time we consider European players and central/rocky mountain guys things would get complicated.

Edited by kupuck19

No penaltys

They can be very random and interupt games lots of times mostly unfairly. True sportsmen like an even playing field without randomness.

16 teams per league without divisions or groups.

Just one big league of 16 teams, that means we can play everybody in the league twice to make it short and sweet and games will get played faster. 2 games isnt a long time to ask someone to play, but 3 or 4 games can be. Asking someone to play 2 games for 40 minutes isnt much to ask compared to 3 or 4 games when if you play someone it takes an hour and a half. people dont seem to have that much time available these days.

Bottom 4 teams go down a league and top 4 teams go up a league at end of season.

After a few seasons it will all even out so players are within there skill range in respective league and seperate the scrappers from the scraphounds. The top leage the top 4 players will go into a little compeition called the prestige cup. Its very prestigious the prestige cup :glare: 1st plays 4th and 2nd plays 3rd, make it short so it doesnt interupt or take away from the main league, mabee a best of 3 first round and final best of 5. This will keep excitement and something to play for, for most people than me or someone else running away with the leage title. this could be played with all teams in the league to combat this or even the top 4 in all the league play in the tournament. This would need more imput from other players, Id make it the top 4 teams in the top league just play in this short tourney. after the new system gathers momentum and regulr players we could add another cup competition for all the teams in the league, basicly a knockout competion (has to be short and sweet or it will detract from the main league) gives the scraphounds a shot at glory after being pummeled all season.

The prestige tourney could decide winner of league or there could be playoffs, or.. the top player in the league table is the winner. unexciting but.. seems fair. (this wont gather favour from scraphounds)

Sayings like "bingo bango" or.. "was harder than it looked" depending on the circumstances are to be encouraged. but sayings like.. "damn controller sucks" "I hate you" are to be discouraged. Depends who you play.

Lets 'hash' a few ideas around and 'weed' out the good ones and make a few cones.. Polls!

We've actually tried a lot of these ideas out in the past. We tried dividing conferences into time zone based, but like kupuck said, there was too much of an imbalance. We tried doing smaller leagues (12 teams) and bigger leagues (we had 24 teams I think one season - http://nhl94online.com/?lg=7). 12 teams seems to be the "sweet spot", because everyone gets a chance at a decent team. As far as putting all the new guys in one league and doing a 20 game season, we did that too recently. That caused problems, because new guys tend to drop (there's probably like a 25% retention rate), get replaced by veterans and then the competition is imbalanced.

We have shortened checkpoints too. They used to be a lot more relaxed. I don't know if making them any shorter would help much.

I like some of the other ideas mentioned. Keep them coming!

Instead of time zones, list when they normally play. Some of the European guys come on earlier than others, and some of the east coast guys are even later than the west coasters.

Friday/Sat afternoon/evening, etc. Dicicion & I live like 20 minutes from each other and I've been online the same time as him for like 2 hours total since I've been on this site!

And bunch as many as you can in those leagues. The biggest goals are to 1. end a season w/ all the games played & 2. a champion crowned. Newbs getting crushed & B leaguers getting crushed a few games against the Plabax's is OK as long as we then get to go play the rest of the group and recover our pride.

Who cares if one conference had 4 great players and the other 1? You still have to beat someone to be the champ in the finals. At least this way, you end up w/ the games getting played and a finals reached. If the Euro division has 4 guys play each other 24 times instead of 12 times, and the other teams only 2 games, you can still get 40 plus games scheduled.

Last spring, we didn't even do the thing, so real changes are needed.

To me, bunching them by when you play regardless of how it looks is the only way to do a season. Maybe instead of A league, B League & C Leauge, create 4-5 "divisions" with a small playoff (top 4?).

Then, have a tourney of champs from those divisions for one winner. Not a B Champion, and an A Champion, because minus being the A Champ, all "champs" are not really the champs.

It wouldn't take longer, because the season could go faster, and the amount of teams in the initial playoff format would be reduced.

And then, you might end up w/ two teams as Chicago or the Rangers or whatever, but creating a 4 team playoff ROM should not be that difficult anyhow, so having two guys w/ the same team in the finals would not be a real issue. And this would also incorporate everyone into one league. There are enough side leagues anyhow for all the "stats" for those worried about the imbalance of time zones.

Edited by Brutus

Instead of time zones, list when they normally play. Some of the European guys come on earlier than others, and some of the east coast guys are even later than the west coasters.

Friday/Sat afternoon/evening, etc. Dicicion & I live like 20 minutes from each other and I've been online the same time as him for like 2 hours total since I've been on this site!

And bunch as many as you can in those leagues. The biggest goals are to 1. end a season w/ all the games played & 2. a champion crowned. Newbs getting crushed & B leaguers getting crushed a few games against the Plabax's is OK as long as we then get to go play the rest of the group and recover our pride.

Who cares if one conference had 4 great players and the other 1? You still have to beat someone to be the champ in the finals. At least this way, you end up w/ the games getting played and a finals reached. If the Euro division has 4 guys play each other 24 times instead of 12 times, and the other teams only 2 games, you can still get 40 plus games scheduled.

To me, bunching them by when you play regardless of how it looks is the only way to do a season. Maybe instead of A league, B League & C Leauge, create 4-5 "divisions" with a small playoff (top 4?).

Then, have a tourney of champs from those divisions for one winner. Not a B Champion, and an A Champion, because minus being the A Champ, all "champs" are not really the champs.

It wouldn't take longer, because the season could go faster, and the amount of teams in the initial playoff format would be reduced.

And then, you might end up w/ two teams as Chicago or the Rangers or whatever, but creating a 4 team playoff ROM should not be that difficult anyhow, so having two guys w/ the same team in the finals would not be a real issue. And this would also incorporate everyone into one league. There are enough side leagues anyhow for all the "stats" for those worried about the imbalance of time zones.

I love your idea. I sometimes was up until 11 on school nights to play my games.

Fenty's IIHF system looks really good. Plus the players who tend to drop wont be a problem because they will be always (or at least most of the time) B or C tier players

Edited by Kashim

Only thing I would change for sure is the draft. If the draft order is as follows.

1. Chaos

2. Sicarius

3. Kingraph

We all have the same teams picked as our favorites Det Chi & then Mon

Chaos would get Det

I would get skipped

And King would get Chi

That has never made sense to me. In the above scenario why not just give me Chi since they're my #2 choice. Instead I would drop to the bottom of the draft.

I would modify team picking as well. I would essentially have a draft for teams. Start with the weakest player in the league at #1 and strongest as last pick. That would even things out to where the weakest players might be able to break .500 and make for a very balanced league.

Only thing I would change for sure is the draft. If the draft order is as follows.

1. Chaos

2. Sicarius

3. Kingraph

We all have the same teams picked as our favorites Det Chi & then Mon

Chaos would get Det

I would get skipped

And King would get Chi

That has never made sense to me. In the above scenario why not just give me Chi since they're my #2 choice. Instead I would drop to the bottom of the draft.

This is incorrect. If we all had DET, CHI, MTL as our top 3, you would get CHI, not me.

It's not a draft -- everyone get a random order to start. You get your 1st team if they have not already been chosen above. If your 1st team is chosen, it moves down the list. Then this goes on with your 2nd choice.

So in your example:

Chaos gets DET

Sicarius skipped because DET not available

kingraph skipped because DET not available

end of "round 1", for lack of a better term.

Round 2, those who still need teams

Sicarius - gets CHI

kingraph - skipped because DET & CHI not available

end of "round 2".

Round 3

kingraph - gets MTL.

Hope that makes sense.

You're right I goofed.

Let's say Chas and me have Det Chi and Mon

You have Chi Det Mon

Same draft order

1 Chaos

2 me

3 King

so Chaos gets Det

I get skipped and really don't have a 1st round pick

You get Chi even though I'm ahead of you in the draft and Chi is my 2nd choice

That's what I've always thought was goofy

It's really unfair and can be taken advantage of in a way.

By waiting till the last day of the draft you can put your top 5 in an order so that you are pretty much going to get the team you want.

Edited by Sicarius

You're right I goofed.

Let's say Chas and me have Det Chi and Mon

You have Chi Det Mon

Same draft order

1 Chaos

2 me

3 King

so Chaos gets Det

I get skipped and really don't have a 1st round pick

You get Chi even though I'm ahead of you in the draft and Chi is my 2nd choice

That's what I've always though was goofy

It's really unfair and can be taken advantage of in a way.

By waiting till the last day of the draft you can put your top 5 in an order so that you are pretty much going to get the team you want.

The current way would result in

Chaos - 1st choice

Sicarius - 3rd choice

kingraph - 1st choice

vs draft way

Chaos - 1st

Sicarius - 2nd

kingraph - 3rd

The current way actually gives more people their top choices, and it's better for the overall league. However, I do agree with you that because you can see other people's choices ahead of time, you have an advantage of waiting to the end to select your team. You can roll the dice with your 1st pick, but choose a guaranteed #2. I've made this argument before.

The good thing is, the system seems to have worked well the last few seasons, with like 95% getting a top 5 choice.

Thanks bud.

The number of leagues we have is usually dependent on how many people sign up. It's different every year. we've had as many as 48 for one console and as little as 12. so we just do whatever we think is right amount of leagues. as mentioned already...12 is kinda the ideal number.

Trying to coordinate time zones or times when guys play is very difficult. I've tried it before with my own leagues but the times they said they oud play they weren't always around.

We actually have shortened checkpoints. I think we are down to 6 weeks now? It used to be 10 weeks at one time. I've been a proponent of trimming those weeks down since I helped looked after things many season ago. As admins, we've come a long way to ensure leagues get a high games played amount in. most members weren't here from the beginning. The first couple season saw about 60% played and many playoff forfeits. I'll take where we are at today over then.

I certainly try not to let payoffs drag out. I spend a fair amount of time trying to get coaches in contact with each other. Forfeits are not preferred to me. I'll always choose dragging it out a bit longer if I think both coaches are generally trying to find a time to play.

Thanks bud. love you n stuff.

The biggest problem seems to be guys not showing up to play. Maybe having a preseason where you have to play a minimum amount of games to be allowed in one of the leagues? That might weed out some of the guys who aren't going to make the time.

I think last year wambo offered his site for a pre-season....and some guys played and uploaded some games. its a neat site...hes a good bud.

http://www.sea-hag.net/

Make 1 team leagues, that way everyone is a winner. :red_heart:

I did that last year in SNES E, where I put myself in one division so I could be the division winner. It helped for self esteem even when I was 6-14...I was still a division champion.

No penaltys

They can be very random and interupt games lots of times mostly unfairly. True sportsmen like an even playing field without randomness.

16 teams per league without divisions or groups.

Just one big league of 16 teams, that means we can play everybody in the league twice to make it short and sweet and games will get played faster. 2 games isnt a long time to ask someone to play, but 3 or 4 games can be. Asking someone to play 2 games for 40 minutes isnt much to ask compared to 3 or 4 games when if you play someone it takes an hour and a half. people dont seem to have that much time available these days.

Bottom 4 teams go down a league and top 4 teams go up a league at end of season.

After a few seasons it will all even out so players are within there skill range in respective league and seperate the scrappers from the scraphounds. The top leage the top 4 players will go into a little compeition called the prestige cup. Its very prestigious the prestige cup :glare: 1st plays 4th and 2nd plays 3rd, make it short so it doesnt interupt or take away from the main league, mabee a best of 3 first round and final best of 5. This will keep excitement and something to play for, for most people than me or someone else running away with the leage title. this could be played with all teams in the league to combat this or even the top 4 in all the league play in the tournament. This would need more imput from other players, Id make it the top 4 teams in the top league just play in this short tourney. after the new system gathers momentum and regulr players we could add another cup competition for all the teams in the league, basicly a knockout competion (has to be short and sweet or it will detract from the main league) gives the scraphounds a shot at glory after being pummeled all season.

The prestige tourney could decide winner of league or there could be playoffs, or.. the top player in the league table is the winner. unexciting but.. seems fair. (this wont gather favour from scraphounds)

Sayings like "bingo bango" or.. "was harder than it looked" depending on the circumstances are to be encouraged. but sayings like.. "damn controller sucks" "I hate you" are to be discouraged. Depends who you play.

Lets 'hash' a few ideas around and 'weed' out the good ones and make a few cones.. Polls!

For the most part, I'd prefer no penalties either. It's why some of my other leagues I organize, don't have them. But I think we're in the minority bud.

From my experience I find the more players there are, the harder it is to get games played. I don't think playing an extra game or two is as impactful as trying to find someone to play(more time is spent on that than anything).

We tried to move guys up and move guys down after each league. but because it's different every year you'll never get the same make up.

I like the that the prestige cup is very prestigious. you got this!

"Bingo Bango, Fenty Fango" is still my favorite text I receive after a goal is scored on me by Fenty.

you might have to elaborate on the format so I understand....its one league with multiple divisions? divisions are based on when guys can play? would the divisions be equal in numbers? or just when they can play?

thanks bud.