NHL'94 Forums

POLL - Running up the Score

TomKabs93

Think about it for a second  

23 members have voted

1. 1. What would you rather happen to you?

• After 2 periods you're losing 7-1, and your opponent keeps pushing in the 3rd and the game ends up 12-1
    • After 2 periods you're losing 7-1, and your opponent stops trying out of mercy and the game ends up 7-1

Traditionally I think most of you guys would choose answer B*, but I hope after some thought you will see the light

Everyone loves to complain about people running up the score, but how can you justify asking your opponent to stop trying? An nhl94 game is roughly 10 minutes long, if you can only try for 5 or 6 of those minutes that's just ridiculous imo

It's no fun being blown out, but I honestly think it's less fun and MORE demoralizing to be sitting there with my opponent not even trying, just wasting time for 4 minutes

Edited by TomKabs93

This depends on who is playing. If I'm playing against you, Ice, etc, I don't care about running up the score, and I would continue to score against you as well, particularly for any league games in which we do stats. However, I'm playing a lesser skilled player, I won't "stop trying out of mercy", but I certainly won't continue to load up on him. I'll tone it down -- shoot slappers, etc.

Some guys say, "don't let up", they want the challenge. At the end of the day, you try to have fun. Each situation is different, and you'll know what is right and what is wrong. However, I agree everyone should try to prevent guys from running it up until the end! We wouldn't want to repeat situations like Plabax winning 22-0 over dcicon, because dcicon left the game and plabax continued to run it up, lol.

all i know is ive lost some serious leads in my day so i never let up unless theres like 30 seconds left and im up by alot.

also i like to try to score as many goals as possible because its fun to try to break your own personal record or mabe even a league record if you get the chance, i mean no disrespect to my opponent of course

It's rare that I have the chance to bury someone, so I usually don't stop pressing unless I see that they are now trying to slow the game down, but I definitely would not want a guy to stop burying me.

My goal would be to figure it out at some point and stop the guy for the next time.

That said, some times, the "bounces" all seem to go against you, and if you had a good defensive season going, it just sucks to get buried 12-1!

The thing is the momentum factor creates these stupid blow outs even the most talented players get blown out..... It's even worse if the skill diff is there .....nothing u can do but take it ... Blowing out an opponent is useless unless we can eliminate momentum

Keep playing, if I can't stop you then its my fault and I need to get better. Same goes for other way around. Lately however, I can't stop anyone in Blitz bad drafting and strategizing on my part. But.....still having fun win or lose. NHL'94 for life!

I think the. 2nd option should be your opponent eases off the gas a little bit.

I agree with what King mentioned above about slappers and playing same kinda D as first 2 periods.

For me once I get to 9 and lead by 7-8 goals I back off a bit especially against a below average player for the lg. I focus on shutting down their offense. Having a great GAA is more important to me then padding my offensive stats.

When I go into league games against guys that I expect to win fairly easily, my goal isn't to try and route them by 10-12 goals, it's to shut them out or hold them to <2 goals.

Continuing to run up the score on someone imo just shows a lack of respect. But you don't need to 'give up' just ease off the gas a little. That's just me

I've definitely noticed against the higher levels when they have a shut out going against me I get their "uber" defense, especially in the 3rd period!

Being offensively challenged to begin with, this usually ends in frustration for me :)

I voted for the latter because it wasn't getting many votes. Also because I've never lost 7-1 before...I've only ever lost 12-1...so id like to lose 7-1 for once.

• 2 weeks later...

Like Raph said, I think it depends on the situation. If you're playing someone you don't really know and/or they happen to be new, it's probably a good idea to let off a bit. To me, it depends on if it's a season game or an exi. if it's season I'm trying to run the score up against everyone. if you sign up for classic, sdl, whatever else, you also signed a waiver that you won't take offense to getting smashed. Learn from it and return the beating down the road. I think that new players should be urged to get in as many exi's as possible before they sign up for a season, just so they aren't shocked by the sheer brutality of it all. Getting beaten by double digits in a game you thought you were good at can cause permanent damage to a mans psyche.

When two veterans are playing each other I think it's generally accepted that both are trying to score as many as they can. No mercy.

Edited by NorthwayNative