NHL'94 Forums

Best picture quality for Genesis NHL '94: RGB out!

Wanted to share a quick write-up on an RGB cable hack I recently put together, just in case someone out there might be trying the same thing. As you can guess, the real motivation was finding the best picture possible for non-stop games of '94. :D

As you can probably guess, the best picture quality for any video--whether it's your Genesis or your PC--is pure RGB. If you're playing NHL '94 on your Genesis (or SNES), you're probably using an RF adapter or maybe RCA cables. There's a big difference between the various connections, so if you're looking for an upgrade, here's what I did.

Thanks to a tip in another forum, I discovered that a Playstation 2 Breakaway Extension cable sold at Radio Shack had the same 9-pin DIN connection identical to the Genesis model 2 A/V out. So, bought a whole bunch and proceeded to systematically plan for the best way to match the pins on the Genesis side to the arcade monitor side (read: hack away at cable and start testing any connections possible). Because the Genesis outputs a composite sync, there's no need to seperate the signal.

The result is pretty sweet: rich colors and a great picture.

One big point being that you'll need to find a monitor that will accept RGB and run at 15 kHz. Most current PC monitors will only go as low as 31 kHz (VGA). European users have it a little easier in that a SCART cable is plug and go...

It's in the planning stages, but my next project is a dedicated NHL '94 cabaret cabinet...

post-30-1148952982_thumb.jpg

post-30-1148953002_thumb.jpg

post-30-1148953014_thumb.jpg

post-30-1148953165_thumb.jpg

Just awesome. Are you going to do up all 94 graphics for the cabinet?

Thanks guys...

Yeah, just finished the first cabinet, the MAME/Dreamcast one (well, and Genesis now ;) ). Gotta spend some quality time in Illustrator to and get started on the artwork for the '94 cab. Construction is a little slower this time of year as 'other' projects take up more time. But, I'll post some Photoshop mockups at some point...

Believe it or not, control is actually pretty good with 8-way joysticks. Takes a little getting used to after years of thumbpad play, but it's still pretty tight.

Believe it or not, control is actually pretty good with 8-way joysticks. Takes a little getting used to after years of thumbpad play, but it's still pretty tight.

Yeah I use my PS2 controller for gens and it works great too.

Props on the cabinet Frosty.

A friend of mine has a Dreamcast Jamma cabinet. It sees a lot of action from: Virtua Fighter 3tb, Virtua Tennis, Capcom fighting games, shmups like Ikaruga and most recently Under Defeat.

I've thought about importing a Sega astro city Naomi cabinet from Japan but the shipping is astronomical (get it? astro city-astronomical, nuyk nuyk nuyk) and would end up costing me more than the cabinet itself.

Not sure if Genesis is VGA compatible or not, Ive been meaning to check that out but haven't gotten around to it. Still I like the way '94 looks in Gens with Kreed / Super Eagle enabled.

A friend of mine has a Dreamcast Jamma cabinet. It sees a lot of action from: Virtua Fighter 3tb, Virtua Tennis, Capcom fighting games, shmups like Ikaruga and most recently Under Defeat.

I've thought about importing a Sega astro city Naomi cabinet from Japan but the shipping is astronomical (get it? astro city-astronomical, nuyk nuyk nuyk) and would end up costing me more than the cabinet itself.

Not sure if Genesis is VGA compatible or not, Ive been meaning to check that out but haven't gotten around to it. Still I like the way '94 looks in Gens with Kreed / Super Eagle enabled.

Right on! I would love to have a candy cab, but you're right---the cost to get it over to the States is insane. But, my cab is also Dreamcast 'enabled'. There were so many great arcade ports to the 'Cast that it's a crime not to have it hooked up to some good sticks. Nothing like Ikaruga in true VGA!

I wish the Genny was VGA compatible. But, she'll only output a 15 kHz signal (VGA is 31 kHz). But, if you can find an old VGA monitor that will display the lower resolution, the picture is great. Highly recommended! Even better are the new generation of 19" digital arcade monitors that are being sold now: true CGA, EGA, VGA and SVGA resolutions...