NHL'94 Forums

Fall'14 1st Checkpoint

kingraph

1st checkpoint is coming up after Monday and you should be around 8 games, but realistically higher as early in the season it's easier to find games.

Guys who are under as of now...

GENS A

Fitzo - 3 GP. Just coming back from vacation, pretty active, don't expect any problems, but would love to see 2 more series knocked out soon.

Minpind - 3 GP. '94's most wanted. Leggo bud.

Orangeblack92 - 4 GP. This, and your history is getting me nervous bud. Please pick it up.

Redbonzai - 3 GP. You always show available on AIM, but never respond...I'm not sure if this is just a setting. Only the magical jesus has been able to find you get his series played. What's happening?

Wittgenstein - 3GP. Just took over a team, okay.

LABS_66 - 4GP. Been busy, but around and responding. Hopefully you can carve out some time to pick up the sticks and bang a few out.

GENS B

I'm just going to highlight the guys who have 0 games played so far. I've e-mailed you all, but have not gotten any responses. I have not seen any PMs, forum postings, or activity on AIM. The following are all in danger of being replaced after Monday.

Zeppelin55 - WPG. 0 GP.

XxBDIDDYxX - MTL. 0 GP.

MrDiamondJ - EDM. 0 GP.

saibacuochi - CHI. 0 GP.

BARDOWNBEAR21 - QUE. 0 GP.

Again, that's just another reminder to you guys. Since you all signed up and picked a team a few weeks ago, I assume you're still interested in playing! If you are still interested but being held up by life, work, broken controller, issues, etc...just let me know! I want to make sure everyone who wants to play can play! We have a few people waiting, and I want to get them in asap. If I don't see anything, I won't know and you'll be replaced. (you can always go back to waiting list)

There are a lot of new guys this year really being active (skip, Texas, darko, lupz, SoCalKing in particular) and some good effort being made by the rest. Really, really appreciate it guys. Keep it up! Don't get frustrated, and please let me know if you want to be a replacement player for the "A" league.

I'll post another update after Monday's games.

No pb KingRaph!!! I'm so happy to be in this league and want to play more but but not easy!!!

First with the tough delay i have and second with the availability of other players!!!

But i really take a real pleasure to play all these gentlemen guys and have great fun with this league.

Thanks again for the amazing job all the admins do to make this dream a reality!!!

No pb KingRaph!!! I'm so happy to be in this league and want to play more but but not easy!!!

First with the tough delay i have and second with the availability of other players!!!

But i really take a real pleasure to play all these gentlemen guys and have great fun with this league.

Thanks again for the amazing job all the admins do to make this dream a reality!!!

There are a few more of us playing from the old continent too. The ping overseas feels a bit tough at start, but you can get used to it. Also with P2P it is the same for the opponent, even though I do think there is a slight difference sometimes created by gens or kaillera, but it varies and I've become to terms of it more as momentum more than anything else. There are a few things you can do to make it feel more responsive. Also If you have a DSL-connection you could try asking your ISP to turn off interleave to decrease the latency. It does not do much, but by doing so I get around 10-15 off from my ping to NY from Helsinki, Finland. So I can play some guys like Kingraph with 100-110 ping making for 4 frame delay, which is good and responsive. Frame 5+ games tend to start to have more sluggish feel and you might have to simplify your game a bit, but usually it starts to feel more like that after frame 6+ (I think frame 8 is the max I've played guys to west coast, it's already very noticeable, but these games don't come by often, if this happens make sure your opponent is not using smoothing in kaillera to add any extra frames in).

Edited by Depch

Sorry for my english man but i talk about the hour delay!!!

:)

No pb when i play the game

But thanks!!!

;)

Maybe it will help me if something like that happen!!!!

Edited by Darko99

Redbonzai - 3 GP. You always show available on AIM, but never respond...I'm not sure if this is just a setting. Only the magical jesus has been able to find you get his series played. What's happening?

It's a miracle!

There are a few more of us playing from the old continent too. The ping overseas feels a bit tough at start, but you can get used to it. Also with P2P it is the same for the opponent, even though I do think there is a slight difference sometimes created by gens or kaillera, but it varies and I've become to terms of it more as momentum more than anything else.

I would advise everyone to set up port forwarding. When I have played Fitzo & Depch via Hamachi I get a significant delay, which doesn't seem to be as severe for them. It makes defending a nightmare because you have to try to anticipate what your opponent will do because it's basically impossible to react to what they do. By the time your defender moves the forward has already gone past him.

When I last played Fitzo we both hosted via direct connect with port forwarding set up & it was pretty much a perfect connection. It might be less of an issue Scandanavia to the East coast of the US, but for us doing Scandanavia to Mexico it was really tough.

Hey guys sorry for the inactivity playing lately. Just got over being sick which put me down for the last handful of days. Not to mention wife and baby were sick :P I am going to try to be on tonight to get my 4 games in to meet the checkpoint and then this week start banging them out. Sorry again buds

I would advise everyone to set up port forwarding. When I have played Fitzo & Depch via Hamachi I get a significant delay, which doesn't seem to be as severe for them. It makes defending a nightmare because you have to try to anticipate what your opponent will do because it's basically impossible to react to what they do. By the time your defender moves the forward has already gone past him.

When I last played Fitzo we both hosted via direct connect with port forwarding set up & it was pretty much a perfect connection. It might be less of an issue Scandanavia to the East coast of the US, but for us doing Scandanavia to Mexico it was really tough.

There are restrictions to this by physics alone. When we get a ping of 240 it's 0,24sec delay for every key pressed? Reactive gaming at this is pretty hard and you really have to just pull through with the moves with confidence, which was one of the first lessons I had to learn when starting to play with NA guys (still sometimes struggle with this, decide what to do and stick to that, playing reactive will end up in fail often via hesitation). It's noticeable for both of us.

Direct connect without Hamachi could potentially give a better connection. Because with Hamachi first you connect Hamachi server, then Hamachi server transfers the data to your opponent, which adds to the ping the latency you get to connect to Hamachi itself. After that the connection goes back to the location your opponent is in. What it might do is add an extra distance in between, but I doubt it's much, 10-20ping at max, it could also work the opposite way around too that Hamachi might give a better connectivity if your ISP routings are going via random nodes. One has to remember that Hamachi most of all is usually used for people hosting problems, other than than direct connect should be preferable, there are many ways to look for your IP even without Hamachi VPN IP:s, like http://www.whatismyip.com/.

Playing the East coast guys is a pleasure from here, frame 4 is nice. Buffalo/Montreal area guys are ok too with ~140ping and frame 5. Beyond that it gets tough. In Finland we play with 1-2 frames and with Fitzo I think it's 2-3 and there is no noticeable difference to LAN.

Edited by Depch

When I have played Fitzo & Depch via Hamachi I get a significant delay, which doesn't seem to be as severe for them.

Err.... what? You don't think we suffer as much as you from the lag, or what are you suggesting?

Edited by Fitzo

Err.... what? You don't think we suffer as much as you from the lag, or what are you suggesting?

Relax urself. Im saying the delay via ham is a definite issue for me. When we played direct it wasn't. Only you can say how much it effects you because im not experiencing your connection, but you certainly don't seem to be effected in the same way I do because I can see that when I cut in from the wing you seem to be able to Block it or when im looking for the one timer you seem to be able to put ur guy in place to intercept. When I play u guys from Scandanavia im not able to do those things via a ham connection............which is why I hosted direct vs u as opposed to doing ham, which certainly appeared to solve the problem.