NHL'94 Forums

Debunking the 'watered down competition' claim

Depch

I've seen many people talking down to Plabax winning GDL11 and I've been thinking about it a bit myself too. Sure, you can make claims about it being Gretzky-Lemieux combo with added another stickhandling 6 guy and bringing in the knowledge of CB to make that heavier team work good on a right time to your advantage. Sure you can say that Frey quit during the season and some A-level coaches were missing. But you know, that's all there is. In the end it is just speculation and making claims and in the end he has his title. If you think otherwise then it's time to prove it wrong in the next season.

The same thing applies to many things. Players of the past are often talked highly, but like in real NHL the game changes and also the players within. In the KGman era there was no CB and apparently pass shots were not being used so frequent. CB even came after Carse era and many new players have reached their highs since then. Old players will leave the game and if some return, they might not hit their stride again and the game has taken it to the next level. I took years off from this game and I'm also a different player I was previously. I didn't do rebound goals when I last played active, but I was a better manual goaltender, apples and oranges.

The next paragraph is meant as a provocative, so do not get offended. This years classic A is missing some key A level players. But you know what, it doesn't matter. New players will always come in and replace the old ones, giving new ones room to grow more facing better competition more often. Old ones can make any claims they want, but that's just claims. Whoever wins next classic can't be talked down to and the only way to do so is to come and prove it wrong. I hope we get more old A guys in who are not afraid to play with weaker teams.

This was a fitting writeup because many have had the tought of some of the coaches from A leaving the game, but you know, it just doesn't matter. New players will flow in too and things will keep rolling, game will evolve as will the players. When old champs return, they might not have anything to back their claims up unless they come in and play. And you know, that's how it's meant to be.

Sometimes making a statement is the most fun one can have though, getting in to some good debates. Like Gretzky watered down competition vs Lemieux conversations. But that's all there is. :)

++

I've also been thinking that we could make this community even larger. I tried to contact chaos via PM as he is apparently the webmaster of this thing. We could make this bigger. Some key updates to the site, some added money to tournaments. I can easily give in 50$ of my own for each Classic gens A winner starting from spring 2015 league, which can tempt a few more players in and some to stick in (I do think some would be warranted in GDL too, maybe even more but with a modified consept vs skill maybe. Also new players don't get to GDL so often so that's why it warrants to aim towards classic gens A win). Baby steps forward, no need to settle down and just wait. Just need the key guys to sit down and talk about it at some point. But that's for the future plans and nothing immediate. :)

Edited by Depch

Some of the mid-tier guys with good teams are just as tough to play against as top level guys with lower teams or lower ranked guys with great teams. So in the end the challenge and difficulty is still present in the league regardless of who is pressing the buttons. It's not easy scoring with Bob Carpenter.

As for Plab, I don't see how anyone can knock his GDL 11 title, that's crazy and I didn't even know there were people out there trying to diminish it.

Excellent points Depch. The irony of it all is the one person in your example - Plabax is the first person to shoot down any titles due to calibre of opponents,

Bob Carpenter was top 5 in PPG average in GDLXI Seth :)

As for Plab, I don't see how anyone can knock his GDL 11 title, that's crazy and I didn't even know there were people out there trying to diminish it.

I think if you ever get sucked into a pissing contest with Plabax (happens) and wanted to fire shots, the "knock" on his GDL title is that Frey and Carse both dropped out that season, both of them were in his conference and hence his path to the title was "easy". He had to go through Houly (I think, not sure if houly FF), FlamingPavelBure, Depch and then Zalex in the playoffs. The CB check was also unknown to anyone but Plabax at that point. Whether he used it or not, who knows, I have never seen the video.

The "knock" on his Classic title is that he was using Detroit, the best team.

I've never knocked it myself, because Plabax beat whoever he had to play and that's all you can control. And as Ice says, ironically, Plabax loves to troll me that I never beat Frey to win my Blitz or Classic titles.

Like I said, it's all a pissing match if you want to knock titles. Depch said it best, just play and win.

I think if you ever get sucked into a pissing contest with Plabax (happens) and wanted to fire shots, the "knock" on his GDL title is that Frey and Carse both dropped out that season, both of them were in his conference and hence his path to the title was "easy". He had to go through Houly (I think, not sure if houly FF), FlamingPavelBure, Depch and then Zalex in the playoffs. The CB check was also unknown to anyone but Plabax at that point. Whether he used it or not, who knows, I have never seen the video.

The "knock" on his Classic title is that he was using Detroit, the best team.

I've never knocked it myself, because Plabax beat whoever he had to play and that's all you can control. And as Ice says, ironically, Plabax loves to troll me that I never beat Frey to win my Blitz or Classic titles.

Like I said, it's all a pissing match if you want to knock titles. Depch said it best, just play and win.

Exactly, people are just knocking at him. No one seriously cares about plabax's GDL title that much.