NHL'94 Forums

Lap top Advice

CoachMac

I am thinking about buying a cheap used laptop just for playing 92-94 Hockey.

Computer Corp will sell me one for $100.

Any advice on specs or must haves for the best gameplay would be appreciated.

Again, the only thing I will use it for is Hockey Gaming.

if it has Windows xp it should be perfect!

don't take my word for it tho cuz I'm not 100% sure about all computers. I'm just going off the fact that my 10 year old desktop which wasn't ever high end runs 94 perfectly, while my Windows 7 laptop could never run it perfectly no matter what I tried

Kabs I thought I told u to ur homework ....LCD screens are s**t for nhl94 ur better off getting old screen and desktop

You're right you're right. LCD screens are terrible for games in general (except high end ones I suppose), especially old ones tho

You're right you're right. LCD screens are terrible for games in general (except high end ones I suppose), especially old ones tho

BS

Anything will work. I'm playing on a Windows 7 laptop (on an external monitor) these days, but have to say I preferred a desktop setup as I didn't have cords running all over the place.

Couple things to think about.

1. Keep it cool. New cheap laptops are known for 2 issues. (1. short-life batteries, 2. running hot).

2. Ports. Depending on where you plan to setup, make sure the USB and external video (VGA/SVideo/HDMI) are in good position.

Jer

LCD's aren't necessarily bad for gaming, well, all of them aren't.

V(ertical) A(lignment) LCDs panels typically aren't as reliable as TN's, and they aren't the fastest in ms when it comes to input; not a monitor for anyone who takes their fighting games seriously. In some ways, they are superior to TN's. Color reproduction is typically better, as are viewing angles.

VA's are a good mid-tier option, but less than optimal for gamers. They are a good choice if the monitor will be dedicated to watching video or movies, where the frame rate will rarely exceed 24fps.

T(wisted) N(ematic) LCDs are most ubiquitous; odds are, unless you were spec-hunting yourself, and aren't sure what variety of panel you posses, it's a TN.

Some of the big drawbacks of TN panels are: color accuracy. These aren't the an ideal panel for creative professionals, where their digital assets will appear in other mediums, such as a box of cereal, a t-shirt, or a poster.

Another con of TN panels are their very limited and narrow viewing angles. Images can appear to be bleached when viewed at an not-so-severe angle.

They do have the benefit of being the panel with the fastest refresh rates.
Playing FPS games above 60FPS, even north of 120FPS on a 144hz monitor, can be a sizable advantage, especially in FPS games where every packet and frame counts.

Screen tearing can also be less notable on TN panels.

I(n) P(plane)S(witching) panels are the weapon of choice for professionals that are working with something like the Adobe Creative Suite, 3D programs (such as Cinema4D), or even CAD software. Color accuracy is critical for the people in these fields, as their lively hood and designing depends on it and it's typically reflected in the price, which are pretty steep for premium IPS LCDs. Viewing angles are great as well.

Like VA's, they don't have the best refresh rates, and input in ms isn't very good either.

Some of the smaller NUC PC's, and maybe even a pre-built like an Acer Revo can be VESA mounted to a HDTV, so there is that option if you already have a gaming console hooked up where the HDTV is.

Of course, if you can swing it, multi-monitor, NHL'94 is pretty sweet

post-194-0-78055600-1414623580_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...

Is this a good laptop, if I can get it for around $400(since have store credit)?

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/lenovo-b50-15-6-laptop-intel-core-i5-6gb-memory-500gb-hard-drive-black/8618296.p?id=1219354106743&skuId=8618296

I won't necessarily use it for gaming, since I have other laptops for that.

I want Win7 Pro, and this has expandable RAM to 16GB, for Win9 in the future.

The processor is i5 4th generation, but is it a good version?

Is this a good laptop, if I can get it for around $400(since have store credit)?

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/lenovo-b50-15-6-laptop-intel-core-i5-6gb-memory-500gb-hard-drive-black/8618296.p?id=1219354106743&skuId=8618296

I won't necessarily use it for gaming, since I have other laptops for that.

I want Win7 Pro, and this has expandable RAM to 16GB, for Win9 in the future.

The processor is i5 4th generation, but is it a good version?

Most laptops are built cheap because consumers typically go for the cheapest one that they can find for a certain processor speed. However, Lenovos in general are actually pretty decent. IMO, far better than the Acers, HPs, etc...

I have to caution about the low end Lenovos. I have been a fan of them for a while since having many ThinkPads for work but a few years ago used that same brand loyalty to buy my wife a cheap laptop for her general use. This machine was garbage, even for cheap laptop standards.

I work in software so I get many people asking me is X a good computer? The easiest way to know is just find the model you are interested and google <modelname> review and see what the majority of people are saying. See how it aligns with what you are looking for.