SKILL CAP DRAFT/DYNASTY LEAGUE FOR NOOBS

CURRENTLY CONFIRMED:

SKIP -

LABS66 - PITTSBURGH PENGUINS

DARKO99 - DETROIT REDWINGS

LUPZ27 - LA KINGS

TEXASPACHYDERM - BOSTON BRUINS

JAGR68 - CHICAGO BLACKHAWKS

I've had an idea for a league for a while now. I mentioned it on the forums about a month ago or something. It's kinda similar to TDL but not the same. I was waiting for TDL to finish before putting it forward but then I got to thinking: There are several noobs in this seasons GENS classic B who are showing great commitment to the league & the game. I wanna put this forward to them as an option to continue league play when classic finishes so that they can stay involved in the community & keep developing their skills.

I also wanna open it up to guys in Classic A who's records aren't that strong & probably weren't quite ready to be going up against the likes of King & Depch etc. Realistically they were never in it to compete at the top end, which everyone should have a chance to do really. As discussed in other posts, losing to better players is a great way to improve your game, but winning games & feeling like you have a shot at a title is great for motivation.

So here's the list of guys i'd like to invite based on their games played records in the current classic tournament & their reputation in the community i.e. not causing problems/issues. If other guys would like to get involved they need to up their games played & show they're reliable. If guys of a higher level like the idea, which i'm going to outline below, we can look at maybe a "B" standard league & possibly an "A" standard league although with the commitment levels in A now I think that's unlikely. Idea will be to set up over the next month or so & start in the new year, so should be well after classic & TDL finish.

INVITES:
JER33
LABS66 (After he's just swept me tonight!)
SKIP
TEXASPACHYDERM
LUPZ27
DARKO
SOCALKING

Just post below guys if you're interested, & others can express interest.

GENS SKILL CAP DYNASTY LEAGUE - STRUCTURE/CONCEPT
Rom - Weight bug fixed classic. Full fix. Not weight bug reverse
5 minute periods
Penalties on, no offsides
No line changes
League season including midseason draft/trade period + playoffs
4 season max career for every player (After 4 seasons player must sit out a season before being available to draft again)

PLAYER TIERING SYSTEM
All players in the game will be "tiered" depending on their Blitz draft history. I am certainly open to moving the lines that separate the tiers if people don't agree. Players will be categorised as tier 1,2,3 or 4 as follows:

TIER 1 PLAYERS:
FORWARDS: Pick 6 (Mario Lemieux) to pick 27 (Russ Courtnall)
DEFENSMEN: Pick 9.8 (Ray Bourque) to pick 56 (Steve Smith)
GOALIES: Pick 11 (Roy) to pick 59 (Barrasso)

TIER 2 PLAYERS:
FORWARDS: Pick 30 (Fedorov) to pick 79 (Ronning)
DEFENSMEN: Pick 57 (Larry Murphy) to pick 82.8 (Jeff Brown)
GOALIES: Pick 60 (Ranford) to pick 71.6 (Cheveldae)

TIER 3 PLAYERS:
FORWARDS: Pick 82 (Andreychuk) to pick 132 (Gagner)
DEFENSMEN: Pick 83.6 (Fetisov) to pick 169 (Lumme)
GOALIES: Pick 76 (McClean) to pick 113 (Casey)

TIER 4 PLAYERS:
FORWARDS: All fowards from pick 138 (Momesso) & below
DEFENSMEN: All defensmen from pick 171 (Murzyn) & below
GOALIES: All goalies from pick 135.6 (Hrudey) & below

HOW IT WORKS
1. Pick a classic team - For this example i'll use LA Kings
2. Cut the roster based on the following structure:
6 forwards, 5 defenders, 2 goalies comprised from: Two tier 1 players, Two tier 2 players, Two tier 3 players, Roster completed with no player above tier 4
LA EXAMPLE:
FORWARDS: Sandstrom (Tier 1), Carson (Tier 2), Granato (Tier 3), Kurri (Tier 4), Donnelly (Tier 4), Millen (Tier 4)
DROPPED: Gretzky (Tier 2), Robitaille (Tier 2), Taylor, Loach, Conacher, Rychel, Shuchuk (All tier 4)
DEFENDERS: Blake (Tier 1), McSorley (Tier 2), Zhitnik (Tier 3), Sydor (Tier 4), Huddy (Tier 4)
DROPPED: Hardy, Thompson, Watters, Chapdelaine (All tier 4)
GOALIES: Hrudey, Stauber (Both Tier 4)
DROPPED: Knickle (Tier 4)

If I want to or if I have a team with just 1 or no tier 1 players I can restructure the roster as follows:
One tier 1 player, three tier 2 players, three tier 3 players. In return for having none or just one Tier 1 player I gain a Tier 2 & a Tier 3 player, so the Calgary Flames roster for example, which contains no tier 1 players could look like this:
FORWARDS: Fluery (Tier 2), Niewendyk (Tier 3), Otto (Tier 3), Ranheim (Tier 4), Ashton (Tier 4), Skrudland (Tier 4)
DROPPED: Roberts (Tier 2), Reichel (Tier 3), Makarov (Tier 3), Lindberg, Paslawski, Stern, Berube (All tier 4)
DEFENDERS: Suter (Tier 2), MacInnis (Tier 2), Dahlquist (Tier 4), Musil (Tier 4), Dahl (Tier 4)
DROPPED: Petit (Tier 3), Johansson, Yawney, Godynyuk, Smyth (All Tier 4)
GOALIES: Vernon (Tier 3), Reese (Tier 4)

Basically you decide how you want to distribute the points available to you & how you want to balance the roster, depending on the team you selected.

Halfway through the season (Like in TDL) you'll have the opportunity to draft two new players from the free agent pool. If I have LA & I want to draft 2 new Tier 1 players i'm going to have to drop guys to make it work. If I have Calgary I can bring in two Tier 1 players & just drop one of my Tier 2 & one of my Tier 3 players...............Get it?

After the draft & trade period you play the 2nd half of the season & playoffs.

Before the start of season 2 there'd be a new draft & trade period.

THE DYNASTY ANGLE (SORT OF): At the end of the 4th season (If it even gets that far) the players that have played all 4 seasons are automatically retired, leaving you to draft a new roster from the free agent pool. After a season out those retired players can return. Maybe trades would be affected by the length of career a player has left with you? i.e. Trade Mario for Sandy because Sandy has 3 seasons left whilst Mario is into his last year. Who knows.

Anyway, that's the idea in a very long nutshell. If those invited above are interested post below. If other noobs want in post below then up your games played in classic. If vets want in post below & we'll see how things look.

Possibly quite an ambitious project, but lets see if people like the idea. Comments, potencial problems etc welcome.

Edited by LA Robbie

I applaud the effort in keeping the new guys interested, but this format seems extremely complicated for a noob league. Weight bug fix (blitz style w/cheking or regular?), classic team draft, roster cutting based on tiers, some sort of points system, mid-season draft, and dynasty aspect? :eyes_droped:

I really hope it works, but in case it doesn't get off the ground, consider running a straight WBF (not Blitz) draft league w/ the people you mentioned. It's similar enough to what you want without the extra steps.

I applaud the effort in keeping the new guys interested, but this format seems extremely complicated for a noob league. Weight bug fix (blitz style w/cheking or regular?), classic team draft, roster cutting based on tiers, some sort of points system, mid-season draft, and dynasty aspect? :eyes_droped:

I really hope it works, but in case it doesn't get off the ground, consider running a straight WBF (not Blitz) draft league w/ the people you mentioned. It's similar enough to what you want without the extra steps.

The above post looks very complicated as it has every thing in detail. The important thing would be that I know the steps.

In reality it would be very easy. 1st pick your team & i'll tell you which tier each player falls into. Then i'll give you 3 options to cut your roster to:

Two tier 1s, two tier 2s, two tier 3s

Or

One tier 1, three tier 2s, three tier 3s

Or

No tier 1s, four tier 2s, four tier 3s

You pick your players from that & then you're ready to go. All the other stuff you're getting bogged down with (I get that noobs will get confused by it all too) is actuqlly just the stuff the commish will be concerned with

I'm down, it is a little confusing, but whatever just want to play. My hard drive crapped out last night so I might be out of commission for a few days playing unfortunately.

Don't worry. It's a lot less complicated & intimidating than i've made it look lol.

Can you 4 guys & anyone else that confirms from here on in just post which team you'd like. I'll then identify the different tiered players on the rosters & start a seperate thread that deals with cutting the roster down.

Don't worry. It's a lot less complicated & intimidating than i've made it look lol.

Can you 4 guys & anyone else that confirms from here on in just post which team you'd like. I'll then identify the different tiered players on the rosters & start a seperate thread that deals with cutting the roster down.

I have no experience with weight bug fix, so might need to consult out which team to choose.

I have no experience with weight bug fix, so might need to consult out which team to choose.

Basically it just means the heavy guys can hit & stay on their feet too unlike in classic so almost all the teams have their merits. Teams like NYI or NJ or EDM that maybe aren't up to much as a classic team become very handy & PITT & NYR become the teams they should be for example. Top players like Mario, Messier, Lindros, Neely and also big dmen who maybe dont have the best ability are sought after commodoties.

Basically pretty much any team you want aside from the expansion teams is not gonna be terrible with WBF. You still know who the obvious power teams are.

You should also make it clear if it's regular WBF or Blitz WBF. There's a big difference.

I did state full fix, not just weight bug reverse

uhh. hmm. im not sure i know whats happenin here. dont know anything about the weight bug fix. WBF/Blitz WFB, whats that? full fix? how long is a season? sorry for the questions, thx.

Edited by TexasPachyderm

uhh. hmm. im not sure i know whats happenin here. dont know anything about the weight bug fix. WBF/Blitz WFB, whats that? full fix? how long is a season? sorry for the questions, thx.

Relax. Really simple: The weight bug was a problem in the original game. All the heavy players are soft as s**t (Can't hit, get knocked down easy). It means a team like Pittsburgh that should be great with it's Jagr, Lemieux, Stevens line is actually horrible because they spend most of the time on their arses. Also, big D men with poor puck skills were completely useless as they couldn't do anything in possession & couldn't knock anyone down.

You 've probably noticed in Classic how teams like PITT & NYR which should be great are hard to use.

The weight bug fix by Smozoma basically put that right. Now the little skilled guys can be handled by the big guys, but also skillful big guys like Lemieux, Messier, Jagr, Bourque to name just a few become awesome players. Also, those big goons taht you wouldn't touch in the classic rom become useful options on D because of their size. That's all it is.

We're just saying that this league will use the fixed version of the rom so that those heavy guys are useful.

Don't worry. Seems like a lot of info for you new guys, but all will be very simple & clear when we get things moving.

Current confirmed players & teams. Will be a small league so only looking for a couple more. Even 1 will do for season 1

CURRENTLY CONFIRMED:

SKIP -

LABS66 - PITTSBURGH PENGUINS

DARKO99 -

LUPZ27 - LA KINGS

Dude, I would be down for this if you're interested in me joining. I've finished full seasons (or as full as my opponents/colleagues allowed for on their side) of GENS C & B Spring 2013 and Fall 2013 Classics -- think I was Final 4 in the Fall Classic. Just finished 10 months of coaching competitive/travel baseball for 12 year olds so I was MIA this year and even into early league games in Oct. I am freed up now and playing regularly again - finally.

Jeez I feel like I just interviewed to join a fraternity or something...(I'm down if you want me).

Edited by jagr68

Dude, I would be down for this if you're interested in me joining. I've finished full seasons (or as full as my opponents/colleagues allowed for on their side) of GENS C & B Spring 2013 and Fall 2013 Classics -- think I was Final 4 in the Fall Classic. Just finished 10 months of coaching competitive/travel baseball for 12 year olds so I was MIA this year and even into early league games in Oct. I am freed up now and playing regularly again - finally.

Jeez I feel like I just interviewed to join a fraternity or something...(I'm down if you want me).

You're in...................................now all you have to do is run through the girls' dorm naked after we all massage muscle rub heat cream into your balls & hit you over the head with a dildo that we've all rubbed onto our butts...................but we're not gay or nothing.

What team do you want?

You're in...................................now all you have to do is run through the girls' dorm naked after we all massage muscle rub heat cream into your balls & hit you over the head with a dildo that we've all rubbed onto our butts...................but we're not gay or nothing.

What team do you want?

I am laughing so hard and envisioning Flounder doing something dumb. I am happy to join and will take my hometown Blackhawks. Thanks for organizing!

Cool, cool, cool. Great team picks guys. PITT is a poor team in Classic with the weight bug - Awesome team after the weight bug fix. Boston is average in classic - Devastating after fix with Neely dominant & Bourque contender for best player in the game. Chicago benefit from Smith's weight as do Detroit with Coffey & Probert. LA get the best out of Sandstrom & Blake. Good stuff.

Waiting for a team from Skip & just to see what the word is from Jer & SoCal but I think 6 is a nice number for the inaugural season of a noob league anyway.

Will wait on Skip but maybe tonight i'll post a new thread so you guys can start cutting your rosters. There will still be time for anyone else to sign up anyway.

Plan will be:

1) Experiment with your teams using the weight bug fixed rom (I will post the rom tonight)

2) Cut rosters

3) Make a rough exhib/preseason rom to test rosters & make changes as desired

4) Final rom & preseason exhibs through December

5) start in January

Edited by LA Robbie

• 4 weeks later...

Put me down, I'll take the New Jersey Devils.

Will add you to a waiting list that im not sure if it includes Jack Vandal or not. Dont wanna go above 8 teams to begin with seeing as its a new league & 90% noob players