NHL'94 Forums

How do faceoffs work in this game?

TomKabs93

here's a better question; why when I win the faceoff back does it go to the left side of the screen d man and doesn't mirror image the up down?

I still think there is something to the faceoff that is mostly but not entirely random.

the tips say that your faster players are better at faceoffs, so I think that is a big factor.  it would be nice to know if there is a you-were-too-early penalty that delays your next attempt like live Jeopardy (game show) has.

15 of 16 in one game is awesome but that just as well could be 1) luck and 2) slower opponent on draws, if its a factor. If he won 12 of 16 in 7 games straight, then that guy figured it out for sure.

7 hours ago, trudatman said:

the tips say that your faster players are better at faceoffs, so I think that is a big factor.  it would be nice to know if there is a you-were-too-early penalty that delays your next attempt like live Jeopardy (game show) has.

Look what the cat dragged in....

I always had pretty strong faceoff numbers when I played sober and used to talk to Plabax about similar things we noticed a lot depended on WHERE the face off was and when it was much more than WHOM was in the faceoff.  We both agreed than in certain positions, pulling back worked more times than sideways, etc.

I never spent long hours analyzing data, but I definitely knew if against the boards, pulling to back and towards the goalie won more faceoffs than anything.

Also, felt like PAPER/ ROCK / SCISSORS to me, in that what your opponent which direction your opponent was going for would alter what worked best for you.  I swear, vs some guys who I knew always pulled back, or always pulled to the right, I'd win a much higher faceoff than guys who mixed it up.

9 minutes ago, Brutus said:

Look what the cat dragged in....

….no need for this, but at least take it to the NHL '94 Community section, yeah?

6 minutes ago, Brutus said:

….what your opponent which direction your opponent was going for would alter what worked best for you.  I swear, vs some guys who I knew always pulled back, or always pulled to the right, I'd win a much higher faceoff than guys who mixed it up.

thank you for explaining what you meant by the r/p/s experience -- it didn't click for me what you meant until you went into the explanatory details.

Completely non-scientific, but I 've always found that if you were killing a penalty and aimed your faceoff to the big empty hole where your player used to be - you'd win it there almost every time.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jer_33 said:

Completely non-scientific, but I 've always found that if you were killing a penalty and aimed your faceoff to the big empty hole where your player used to be - you'd win it there almost every time.

ha!  yes!  it sure does seem to enjoy the gap.

thank you for noticing the setup and making contact with the pitch.

• 11 months later...

Some of the stats for players near the ice area where the scrambled puck drifts towards, are surely relevant.  One of the awareness types, stamina or stickhandling will help the AI handle the puck or not.

With my handicapping, the faceoff has become the most important skill.  I don't circle around the net for top slot shots.  Line-changes.  I pull my goalie and don't kill much time puckhandling.

I've noticed I can win a faceoff three or so times in a row and score, but as when I'm scored against; I'm not sure, 1-3 times, it seems harder to win the faceoff.  Probably aggression or other player stats matter even more when this AI faceoff hot streak happens.  I am only using two keyboard keys (or very easy wins but am learning about haptics) so the streak against might be more pronounced than if I was hooking or whatelse, after the draw.  The programming question being asked is at what point pre-rendered animation and physics happens during a faceoff, and what immediate actions if any precede this locked-in animation.  In fact, I think there is a third category where the game situation (knowing when/where to hook or poke after) is enough to affect say, at least 3% of the faceoffs.

NHL 2004 and 05 have too many prerendered sequences.  I prefer the 93 and 94 abilities to fine tune your game quickly.  I assume equipment, which is great for physics learning, has ruined games in the last 5 years for anything but GM mode.  You wouldn't want to just mash buttons in the future.  You'd want a peripheral able to control the blade plane swipe, and maybe have some stick fighting.  I don't think the PS5 controller is there for this, and am stuck with console performance so cannot post a faceoff peripherals thread.  Sometimes upregulating skills in the game is a good momentum-coding practise; less success each run play, like in adult pro leagues in general, would make the E-Sports NFL finals watchable.

On 11/11/2014 at 9:50 PM, kingraph said:

I want to make a site for this very reason...leaning towards this spring/summer if I find the time to start.

I just found the site, do you think you'll have any plans of finishing it off?

I mean, I've read what was already there and honestly, it looks as though it was shaping up to really be something useful and could really go some way to creating more competition.

http://nhl94strategy.com/

For anyone who's interested.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, illegalsmileIV:XX said:

I just found the site, do you think you'll have any plans of finishing it off?

I mean, I've read what was already there and honestly, it looks as though it was shaping up to really be something useful and could really go some way to creating more competition.

http://nhl94strategy.com/

For anyone who's interested

Plan is to make progress on this site in 2021.   

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, kingraph said:

Plan is to make progress on this site in 2021. 

THANK YOU...

I really hope you do, it's a fantastic idea. And what a great and valuable resource it would make! :exciting:

• Thanks 1