NHL'94 Forums

GDL Practice/Tryout Rom Set

TomKabs93

Want to test out players you'd like to potentially draft?

Want to learn the ins and outs of the team you ended up deciding on drafting?

Well now it's easy with this new rom set! I was trying to think of a way to help new players, and I think this can be a good start. It is also useful for vets as well. I've always thought that the 1on1 rom was an underutilized tool for improving your scoring, as well as for improving your control and understanding of your players. Here's the info about this simple rom edit:

- It is an edit of the amazing 1on1 rom, with each player drafted in the first 5 rounds (and half of the 6th round) of GDL 11 being on their own team. Not including goalies.

- So for example the 1st rom consists of the first 28 players drafted. Anaheim has 1.Roenick, Boston has 2.Mogilny, Buffalo has 3.Bure, Calgary has 4.Yzerman, etc etc. This is spread out over 4 roms, so it includes the first 112 players (aka the players that matter).

- Every team has Roy, Fuhr, Hextall, and Hrudey for goalies. This is great because it allows you to try scoring on goalies of all skill levels. You can switch the goalie you're shooting on by plugging in a 2nd controller or configuring player 2 to whatever keys you want on your keyboard.

- I noticed that the original 1on1 rom didn't even out all the advantages, such as home and away, and the differing offensive and defensive advantages that each team holds. So I just made it like GDL by using EARE and evened them all out. Not a huge huge deal but hey why not.

Same old stuff that applies for the original 1on1 rom I'll repeat here for new players so they aren't confused. You can't edit lines, and you can't wait at the Ron Barr screen for more than a couple seconds or it will freeze. This is because the game gets all messed up when it realizes there's only 1 player on each team lol. Just leave the settings as they are, with the 2 player head to head setting on included. It's not really that beneficial to play against a computer player, just leave it on 2 player and feel the freedom of playing alone on the ice. Save a state when you have the puck after a faceoff at center ice for maximum goal practice efficiency. Try to score a certain floater, slapper, deke, pass shot, or whatever, and when you score/miss load the state again and you're ready to try it again in an instant.

I truly believe practicing 1on0 is some of the best practice you can get. This is how you can really figure out how goal scoring works in this game. Yeah you have to be able to trick manual goalies, but being able to score on cpu goalies is how every single goal starts. If the other guy notices you can't score on cpu goalies very well, he'll just choose not to manual and you'll be toast. Learn to abuse cpu goalies in every goal scoring method possible, with all of your forwards, and score every single time. This is the #1 way to improve your results. I used to use the original 1on1 rom quite a bit to learn and practice, really people give it a chance! :D

Here's the list of players in each rom:

Rom 1 Rom 2 Rom 3 Rom 4

1. Roenick 32. Kovalenko 71. Khristich 107. Iafrate

2. Mogilny 33. Savard 72. Damphousse 108. Zalapski

3. Bure 34. G.Sanderson 73 Hawerchuk 109. Sjodin

4. Yzerman 35. Lebeau 76. Donato 110. G.Murphy

5. Ciccarelli 36. Broten 78. Tikkanen 111. Lumme

6. Ronning 37. Emerson 79. Gagner 112. Burt

7. Fleury 38. Sandstrom 81. Numminen 113. Brown

11. Selanne 39. Sundin 82. Russel 114. Carson

12. Gartner 40. G.Courtnall 83. Verbeek 115. Millen

13. Modano 43. Davydov 86. Turgeon 117. Nolan

14. Klima 44. Chelios 87. Samuelsson 118. Jagr

15. Lafontaine 45. Lidstrom 88. Ricci 119. Cote

16. Gilmour 46. Hull 89. Neely 120. Ellett

17. Recchi 47. Reichel 90. Schneider 121. Hynes

18. Lemieux 49. Leetch 91. Zhamnov 122. Bassen

19. Sakic 51. Roberts 95. MacInnis 123. Turcotte

20. R.Courtnall 52. Coffey 96. Messier 124. Racine

21. Sweeney 53. Kamensky 97. J.Murphy 125. Zelepukin

22. Fedorov 54. Zhitnik 98. Daigneault 126. Thomas

23. Bradley 55. Larmer 99. Wilson 127. Yushkevich

24. Robitaille 56. Suter 100. Muller 128. Driver

25. Bondra 59. Bourque 101. Manson 129. Kvartalnov

26. Housley 60. Makarov 102. Richer 130. Konstantinov

27. Oates 65. Granato 103. Borschevsky 131. Gusarov

29. Juneau 66. Brisebois 104. Janney 132. Nieuwendyk

30. Svoboda 67. Wesley 105. Leeman 133. Linden

31. Hogue 69. Drake 106. Dineen 134. Patrick

Find any mistakes (I'm sure there will be multiple), or have any questions, absolutely let me know

P.S. New players keep in mind that many of these players are defenceman. This rom can be most useful when you combine it with researching each players attributes

1on1(1st5GDL11rounds)-1.bin

1on1(1st5GDL11rounds)-2.bin

1on1(1st5GDL11rounds)-3.bin

1on1(1st5GDL11rounds)-4.bin

Edited by TomKabs93
  • Like 1

Appreciate all the work put in to these things. Didn't notice Gretzky here though, one of the possible guys I'm aiming at depending on what's left on the table, but I have quite a few possible picks. :)

(nvm. actually he's in the rom as #11 & Selänne #10 =))

Edited by Depch