NHL'94 Forums

League with line changes and offsides?

wallywojo

You are a true snowflake TK!

That's enough of our trudanting for one day between us though :)

Hey wally, not 100% sure what you were asking for in your last thread, but the idea of using an edited fatigue ROM w/ Line Changes & Offsides for a quick tourney would probably be a GREAT way to get a bunch of guys potentially involved & possibly converting some into your playing settings for a season long commitment.

And, it would give you a chance to test out what exact settings need to be used. Your format above with guy's just picking those teams for those slots as a tourney would probably be good to run with.

Also, the draft is nearing an end for GDL, but the site won't update till next year more than likely with all the exi & trades they do, and Blitz is at the very end of it's playoffs, and the same with Classic, so a quick tourney timed now, going through the holiday week would probably be perfectly timed.

I would suggest hard forfeit rules for no shows determined/voted by you, the commish if you don't want your tourney held up by the inevitable stroke or two that signs up for this stuff & flakes out.

The Fins always played with line changes and offsides on in their leagues. Quite a change from the usual North America experience, but I liked it a lot because of how strategic it was. Also, they did greatly reduce player endurance so you actually did have to think hard about doing line changes during play.

I think another option is to reduce endurance on the guys by a specific %. Then people are forced to roll all three lines and use speed bursts on a very limited basis.

Become a cross between 94 and chess

I've wanted to do this in TDL, but not smart enough to come up with a good formula to reduce endurance proportionately. If any rom wiz's out there have a good idea to do this or the Finns formula, I'd love to hear it!

TDL operates with using full-line ups, manual line changes, but no off-sides. I'm not completely against using off-sides as it totally changes the flow of play and strategies coaches have to use to be successful.

If you are looking to get into a line changes league TDL Season 3 will be rolled out in about 6-8 weeks, keep an eye out for the league roll-call as we will be filling open spots and the waitlist with a lottery for S3.

Main reason I think off-sides has been avoided in most leagues is that it more than doubles the average play stoppages per game, not a lot of coaches liked the over abundance of whistles.

Edited by kupuck19

• 7 months later...

I think a weight fix classic rom league would be cool if it had line changes. You wouldn't see 1 line teams be as dominant and crappier teams would have a better chance given their depth. Edmonton comes to mind in a team that would be much better with line changes.

I think a weight fix classic rom league would be cool if it had line changes. You wouldn't see 1 line teams be as dominant and crappier teams would have a better chance given their depth. Edmonton comes to mind in a team that would be much better with line changes.

Ya, we did that in TDL last year. Was awesome being able to play F's 1-9 and dmen 1-6 without huge drop off.

Here's the link to the site: http://www.nhl94online.com/html/standings.php?lg=20

It should be possible to hack the game to prevent the players from recharging between periods, so then you don't need to increase period length to get more lines involved.

I can make a Help Me Hack thread for it. It's probably super easy.

I tried the increased energy reduction and that was not really effective. I'd be interested in testing the no recharge between periods concept.

I always liked the way NHL 06-09 did it. Players get a set amount of speed burst to use for the period (no recharging during period). Once the period ends all players are set back to 100. This method is already possible; I just played a test game with it.

I think it would be best if we either:

• Give all players 100 endurance
  • Keep the endurance the same and find a good depletion rate

• 4 months later...

it didnt happen. at the moment we have classic wrapping up, velocity early season, and GDL preseason going on. The question is finding the time to run it not personally but in between all other seasons. I am still very interested in doing this league.

it didnt happen. at the moment we have classic wrapping up, velocity early season, and GDL preseason going on. The question is finding the time to run it not personally but in between all other seasons. I am still very interested in doing this league.

I wouldn't mind starting up this league in the new year if there is enough interest. I'm open to both classic '94 rosters or the new rosters.

Any other takers?

I used to play with offsides but realized it really doesn't add anything to the game and just creates tons of whistles as guys off the screen stupidly hang just over the line. Computer controlled players already play as if offsides is on, so goal hanging isn't an issue. The only issue is if you take the puck out of the zone and then go right back in, but aren't the zones too small anyway? I always play with auto line changes so you have to use your whole team. With line changes on, you basically can get away with using only 2 lines. With auto, you checking line will always be in during the 3rd period if you have a lead.

^Yes.

We could try a full-rules tourney with the 2016 ROM. 7-minute periods or something so you have to really roll some line changes. Tough to do old 94 rosters and have a lot of quality teams and a good mix of skill for GMs, but maybe it could work haha

Edited by skip