NHL'94 Forums

NHL 2004 Rebuilt

Does anyone else play NHL '04 on their PC with this website? It's actually really fun and has a great online community. If you are interested check out the website here. There is so many different versions and different interface mods like the nhl.com mod or nbc mod or espn mod. Updated almost every other month too! (New rosters, arenas, jerseys, etc.) You can also get mods for different leagues like AHL or CHL. I think there was a College Hockey mod too but haven't tried it yet so idk.

You can get regular non modded NHL 2004 PC

(Yeah it's Russian but just follow the on screen every move from the video) And when it asks you where you want to download it pick something simple like in the video. This makes it easier to find and allows for quicker modding.

Enjoy ;). And you should join their league, NEHL. It's the main league and it has a few spots still open.

Can you find any scoring consistency in this game? I'm not exactly an nhl game noob, but other than onetimers and weird angle slapshots goals seem to be very random.

even onetimers aren't consistent and they're not very fun jammy goals. the skating is unique and passing is ok, but I hate games where scoring is either random or very few boring goal styles.

maybe I'm just bad though, I haven't played it a ton

Can you find any scoring consistency in this game? I'm not exactly an nhl game noob, but other than onetimers and weird angle slapshots goals seem to be very random.

even onetimers aren't consistent and they're not very fun jammy goals. the skating is unique and passing is ok, but I hate games where scoring is either random or very few boring goal styles.

We had a good community for this when we used to play this. Many years afterwards we would even come back to this as NHL2005 & 2006 were bad ones.

This, what you said is the problem with the game in my mind. When playing on all-star level you only score mostly with onetimers & snap shots from the b-point, at least that felt the most frustrating and eventually bored me out at least. But the game is fun and has quite a nice an engine.

Tall players have also a longer stick and a team of big guys can be made effective in this game too with very effective poking. =) It was pretty fun.

Edited by Depch

I was in the NEHL. Hooking is the major exploit in the game that keeps the competitive element from being fun.

Yeah hooking gets out of hand and is really o.p. but some people just devote themselves to not hook lol but I do.. mwaha

Usually goals are from luck or you feed a pass to the middle and completely deke the tendy. The passing is difficult to get because unlike other games, there is no pass assist that makes beatiful passes on the tape every single time. Basically you have to aim the sh*t out of your passes or the puck goes all over. lol

I had put this on my old laptop a couple of years ago. I didn't have the patience to learn how to pass accurately, and would shoot and deke like a maniac, which sometimes resulted in scoring, if I had a quality player.

I ended up deinstalling it, as I just found it too frustrating and noob-unfriendly.

Too bad, because I really enjoyed the customization, especially the music.

• 1 year later...

If you are good at this game, than for sure there are spots from which goals go in (manual deke, blueline slapshot, cross-crease one timer, blocker shot, wraparound etc) but some are difficult to pull off, wraparound is banned in our league, and the good spots are usually well defended by the opposition, as good players know them and are able to defend it

it is amazing that after almost 13 years we still find new ways of scoring, like saucer pass goals from some spots (again, easily defended by a skilled opponent)

the game is beautiful because of its ability to adjust according to AI tweaks and roster modifications; in our league (NEHL) we make our own rosters (mostly based on newest NHL release on PlayStation) and our own AI which brings the gameplay closer to reality

we are a keeper league with focus on GMing which is a huge fun too