NHL'94 Forums

GDL XII Divisions

IceStorm70

No comments, thoughts etc?

Plabax was very vocal on AIM GDL chat thread yesterday about the divisions being whacked. I'm open to all suggestions. The intent was toi try and keep divisions aligned by geographical locations as best as possible along with maintaining competitive balance.

The Atlantic is by far the toughest, but I doubt you get that one to have Regional balance and strength balance anyhow.

Since Plabax insisted he should be in that division, maybe swap him & Houly out???

Geographies don't matter imo.

Agree with Brutus that Atlantic is toughest. Pacific is weakest.

If it helps, he's my quick "tiers"

Tier 1

Plabax

Freydey

Tier 1.5

Depch

IceStorm

kingraph

Tier 2

Uncle Seth

Fitzo

Tier 2.5

Houly

minpind

donnybrook

Sicarius

Brutus

Tier 3

kupuck

Boknows

Lupz

Tier 4

LABS

J&J

skeletor

texas

jack

darko

skip

Tier 5

jer_33

jagr68

I don't see one tier beating the one above it consistently...maybe others can force rank and you can draw a picture of relative strength to mix up divisions.

If geography is the #1 criteria and skill #2 then things look about right. But maybe it should be the other way around?

Also, some guys regardless of geography are on all the time and consequently can be placed in any division if needed.

Not criticizing just offering suggestions.

Edited by Uncle Seth

I think Raph has a fairly close picture there despite it being a quick one. He exi's a lot, and that is not far off.

Some of the guys move up or down a half notch when they are more active, but based on recent activity, that's how that would play out under most peoples expectations, I'd imagine. At least really close on the overall average.

That said....

I personally don't think STRENGTH of division is all that relevant. There can only be ONE winner anyhow. The league getting done on time & having DNPs not there and playoff series getting played makes the league GOOD or SH&T.

And, the sooner you get though one season, the sooner you can re-draft, screw up your team again, and re-crown a new champ. SO for me, unless a strong player is not making the playoffs because he is in an elite division, I'd go off geographies.

And again, if you don't make the post-season because your division was too hard, then you weren't making the finals anyhow, and probably could then take the higher draft position the next season to have a stronger team.

4 in div 2 outside. Frey suggested trying to do them geographically and skill wise.

I like how Raph ranked them. I'm ok either way, Let's get some examples out there

There are so many variables at play that might shift coaches into other tiers, such as their current GDL team talent/draft success and how well they will be projected to play with that lineup. For example, Brutus with Lindros on his squad.....make a 7th tier just for him, haha. I'm only in tier 2, BOOOOOOOO Raph! No respect I tell ya! Only teasing.

I don't know, I could be just bored and nitpicking.

Maybe Brutus is right, divisions balanced by taking into effect the % of games in a season guys usually play?

I'll also be fine with however it turns out.

Edited by Uncle Seth

Great guys - I should have just posted this here before and we could've started this conversation last week hahaha

How about this one - it is based off of Raph's recent tiers and taking into account everybody's input. It also happened to work out that most teams align with their proper GDL Division based on actual NHL geography. Most importantly, Raph's top-12 are evenly distributed - 3 per division.

OPTION #2

EASTERN CONF

Northeast Div

1 - Freyday (QUE) - Quebec

2.5 - Brutus (ILL) - Chicago

2.5 - Houly (QUE) - Montreal

3 - BoKnows (PA) - Hartford

4 - JackVandal (MA) - Hamilton

5 - Jagr (ILL) - Buffalo

Atlantic Div

1.5 - KingRaph (NY) - NY Rangers

1.5 - Depch (EURO) - Vancouver

2.5 - Minpind (MA) - Boston

4 - Labs (PA) - Pittsburgh

4 - Skeletor (BC) - New Jersey

4 - TexasPachy (NY) - NY Islanders

WESTERN CONF

Central Div

1 - Plabax (ONT) - Nashville

2 - Fitzo (EURO) - California

2.5 - Sicarius (MO) - St. Louis

3 - Lupz (NY) - Winnipeg

4 - Skip (MA) - Minnesota

5 - Jer (ONT) - Toronto

Pacific Div

1.5 - IceStorm (NY) - Edmonton

2 - UncleSeth (NY) - Los Angeles

2.5 - Donnybrook (MA) - Tampa Bay

3 - Kupuck (CA) - Anaheim

4 - J&J (CO) - Colorado

4 - Darko (EURO) - Detroit

The average for each tier should be 17.5, and all are close (N'east 18, Pacific 17, others at 17.5).

Thoughts?

Edited by skip

There are so many variables at play that might shift coaches into other tiers, such as their current GDL team talent/draft success and how well they will be projected to play with that lineup. For example, Brutus with Lindros on his squad.....make a 7th tier just for him, haha. I'm only in tier 2, BOOOOOOOO Raph! No respect I tell ya! Only teasing.

I don't know, I could be just bored and nitpicking.

Maybe Brutus is right, divisions balanced by taking into effect the % of games in a season guys usually play?

I'll also be fine with however it turns out.

I put you there just to see if you'd notice and respond. Plus Fitzo couldn't be by himself. :lol: And look how much I know -- Brutus beats Uncle Seth who beats kingraph in Classic.

I agree too, that much of this doesn't matter as long as the top contenders are separated. So many teams make the playoffs in GDL; barring any DNP's, you can pretty much guarantee that the top 12 are in, and then it comes down to seeding.

I like Skips second run here now that he has up there now. Ranking & total points, etc.

I would state, IF IT WERE ME, I'd only base it off what time a guy plays (which is where the idea of region comes from).

List the slots you play, and create a master list, and you have less DNP's and a faster/tighter run league, which is WAY more important than if you played 4 more games vs Plabax or Skip in the grand scheme of it.

I live like 20 minutes from the GRAND DICKOFF but he's never on when I am on. He plays around 6-8 pm, and I play 10:30 pm US central till like 2 am. I can play weekends in the early, early am sometimes, but he usually was available mid-day on weekends. So, Region is not a great variable to me to be trying to use.

That said, Skip's divisions above are more than good enough. I can't imagine someone throwing up a strong objection unless their inner twat was taking over.

Yeah Brutus - that is a great idea (time slots). That was my main goal on my 1st run - trying to keep the Europe guys together and then me, since I am always around during the day (unfortunately). But I think it is also important to have balanced divisions so us new guys don't get thrashed around all the time.

We only have two west coast guys, so I guess it isn't like we are all strewn about...mainly just four or five areas (NY, MA, IL, ONT, Europe).

In the end, I actually like these divisions better, more input from everybody and it has to be more balanced since more senior input was involved.

And I think it will be easy to remember who is in what division based on in-game geography (ie. Quebec and Montreal in same division, LA/ANA, etc.)

Hopefully everyone is cool with them!

And I think, based off of Brutus last note, that Brutus would be classified as a "late night player," thus Pacific division with west coast guys and no Europe guys would suit him most. But still, I like the newer divisions hahaha

Geographies don't matter imo.

Agree with Brutus that Atlantic is toughest. Pacific is weakest.

If it helps, he's my quick "tiers"

Tier 1

Plabax

Freydey

Tier 1.5

Depch

IceStorm

kingraph

Tier 2

Uncle Seth

Fitzo

Tier 2.5

Houly

minpind

donnybrook

Sicarius

Brutus

Tier 3

kupuck

Boknows

Lupz

Tier 4

LABS

J&J

skeletor

texas

jack

darko

skip

Tier 5

jer_33

jagr68

I don't see one tier beating the one above it consistently...maybe others can force rank and you can draw a picture of relative strength to mix up divisions.

While I appreciate the higher ranking, I don't believe it true. Guys like TX, Darko, JV, Skeletor, and JJ beat me on a very consistent basis, and while I had one or two good night's recently, I have since turned backwards towards my losing ways lol.

Posting this more because I want the other guys to get the respect they deserve, my division will be my division, and it's all about having fun, and of you can win some along the way evendors better.

Here is a player split geographically (considering the trans-atlantic cable pops out from New york in NA). I have the kingraph tiers on next to them, but lowered Lupz to 4.0 by his request and Jagr & Jer to 4.5 as not much difference between them from 4.0.

Western conference:

Plabax 1.0 (Ont)

Freydey 1.0 (Que)

Brutus 2.5 (Ill)

Houly 2.5 (Que)

sicarius 2.5 (Miss)

Kupuck 3.0 (Cali)

BoKnows 3.0 (Penn)

Skeletor 4.0 (BC)

JJ 4.0 (Col)

Labs 4.0 (Penn)

Jagr 4.5 (Ill)

Jer 4.5 (Ont)

Eastern conference: ((NY,Mass,Europe)

Kingraph 1.5 (NY)

Icestorm 1.5 (NY)

Depch 1.5 (Euro)

Uncle Seth 2.0 (NY)

Fitzo 2.0 (Euro)

Minpind 2.5 (Mass)

Donnybrook 2.5 (Mass)

Lupz 4.0 (NY)

Darko 4.0 (Euro)

Tx 4.0 (NY)

Skip 4.0 (Mass)

JV 4.0 (Mass)

Looking at location the EU should be on the eastern conference obviously. Connection first comes to NY and the closest states to that are Pennsylvania and Massachutets where we have players from.

Should at least be west & east:

West:

Brutus 2.5

Sicarius 2.5

Kupuck 3.0

Skeletor 4.0

JJ 4.0

Jagr 4.5

East:

Depch 1.5

Fitzo 2.0

Darko 4.0

That leaves the below guys to be generally changeable between themselves to be sorted out to ones liking to balance out the conferences and from there you can easily split the divisions. If Ontarians are from Toronto or closeby even people from Ontario could be here, I'm actually doing that right up.

Freydey 1.0 (Que)

Plabax 1.0 (Ont)

Kingraph 1.5 (NY)

Icestorm 1.5 (NY)

Uncle 2.0 (NY)

Houly 2.5 (Que)

Minpind 2.5 (Mass)

Donny 2.5 (Mass)

Bo 3.0 (Penn)

Labs 4.0 (Penn)

Lupz 4.0 (NY)

Tx 4.0 (NY)

Skip 4.0 (Mass)

JV 4.0 (Mass)

Jer 4.5 (Ont)

If anyone can build an even conferences/divisions out of the geographical basis here, then go for it. :)

[EDIT]

If Freydey and Plabax have to be in different conferences I'd put out Plabax on west and Frey on east. West also needs a 1.5 guy with Plabber and the "farthest" living ones from Europe perspective is Ice (I ping 140-150ms to Ice and 110ms to Kingraph, that's a difference of 1 frame). Uncle Seth also pings very well to Europe so he must live on the very much of east coast. It's very much impossible to create a regional/skill based even conferences as that would mean someone of Raph/Seth should be on west and by regional/latency wise it would not be good. This leaves the top end of west a bit lacking, but making a very even mid tier. I also modified the ratings to my liking. I'm putting Plab on a tier of his own at the moment and I think Frey is next and then Raph when it comes to consistency. While Ice & I can win games vs the guys above us in tiers, it's not consistent. And nothing bad to Fitzo but I think Seth is a notch above.

West:

Plabax 1.0

Icestorm 1.75

Houly 2.25

Brutus 2.25

Minpind 2.25

Sicarius 2.25

Kupuck 2.5

Labs 4.0

Skeletor 4.0

JJ 4.0

Jer 4.5

Jagr 4.5

East:

Freydey 1.25

Kingraph 1.5

Depch 1.75

Uncle 2.0

Fitzo 2.25

Donny 2.25

Bo 2.75

Darko 4.0

Lupz 4.0

Tx 4.0

Skip 4.0

JV 4.0

+ I have some limited experience vs the new guys and some of the older ones so there is plenty of 4.0 right there, which is subject to change.

Edited by Depch

Guys,

I don't necessarily agree with some of the lower tiered rankings but personally I have not played as much over the holidays as some of the other guys and it's not my place to defend other guys right now -- frankly it doesn't matter. In the end I don't care what division I'm in as long as it's relatively well balanced. Skip's v2.0 proposal works for me.

Signed,

Newly Minted Mr. NHL Record Holder for the oldest player to score a hat trick

Been trying to work out a 3rd option that aligns us by Raph's tiers and geographically. I think this one does it, so maybe we should actually put it to a vote (?) or something.

Option #2 is a few posts above, but here is Option#3

-keeps top 12 split up perfectly, divisions all just as balanced. If you add the tier-total of the top 3 in each division, all 4 div's are even (total balance)

-Division names are working names based on our actual geographies hahaha...but areas are listed for easy viewing.

OPTION #3

WESTERN CONF

Northern Division (MA, ONT, MO, NY)

1 - Plabax (ONT) - Nashville

2.5 - Sicarius (MO) - St. Louis

2.5 - Donnybrook (MA) - Tampa Bay

3 - Lupz (NY) - Winnipeg

4 - Skip (MA) - Minnesota

5 - Jer (ONT) - Toronto

Continental Division (NY, IL, CA, CO, BC)

1.5 - IceStorm (NY) - Edmonton

2 - UncleSeth (NY) - Los Angeles

2.5 - Brutus (IL) - Chicago

3 - Kupuck (CA) - Anaheim

4 - J&J (CO) - Colorado

4 - Skeletor (BC) - New Jersey

EASTERN CONF

Northeast Division (QUE, MA, PA, IL)

1 - Freyday (QUE) - Quebec

2.5 - Houly (QUE) - Montreal

2.5 - Minpind (MA) - Boston

3 - BoKnows (PA) - Hartford

4 - JackVandal (MA) - Hamilton

5 - Jagr (IL) - Buffalo

Trans-Atlantic Division (Europe, NY, PA)

1.5 - KingRaph (NY) - NY Rangers

1.5 - Depch (EURO) - Vancouver

2 - Fitzo (EURO) - California

4 - Labs (PA) - Pittsburgh

4 - Darko (EURO) - Detroit

4 - TexasPachy (NY) - NY Islanders

As much as I loved #2, I think this option will work better for scheduling purposes - especially for Europe and Central/Pacific timezoners.

Edited by skip

The site really needs to come up with a "League Night" so that guys can work it into their schedules.

Wouldn't it be great if there was one night a week where you could guarantee that you'd get some games in, instead of chasing guys all week to play on their schedule?

The site really needs to come up with a "League Night" so that guys can work it into their schedules.

Wouldn't it be great if there was one night a week where you could guarantee that you'd get some games in, instead of chasing guys all week to play on their schedule?

I'd love to see this as well. I was thinking of running a league that had set time schedules for the season, and if you have to miss, you would have to reschedule within a few days or else or both players get a FF. You can always play ahead of the schedule as well! But the games and standings would always be as of that week.

Playoff are inter divisions or conferences?

not a big deal then. im ok with whatever

The next league I run will have this. We could even try to finish classic 92 like this.

Wouldn't it be great if there was one night a week where you could

guarantee that you'd get some games in, instead of chasing guys all week

to play on their schedule?

Amen and Hallelujah!

I'd love to see this as well. I was thinking of running a league that

had set time schedules for the season, and if you have to miss, you

would have to reschedule within a few days or else or both players get a

FF. You can always play ahead of the schedule as well! But the games

and standings would always be as of that week.

This is similar to how Deadmeow use to run his 92 league's. It was great.

I love this place but the amount of quitters and non completer's is insane.

It seems the enthusiasm is for sign ups and drafts and getting on a waitlist.

The apathy is for games and playoffs.

I can't believe that Fall Classic is still going on.

I am fine with whatever is decided upon for divisions at this point. Thanks for all the work on this to all who have contributed to it in a POSITIVE and CONSTRUCTIVE manner...

If yall want it by location here you go... BooM!

-----------------------------
Western conference:

Northern Division (16)
Plabax 1.0 (Ont)
Freydey 1.0 (Que)
Houly 2.5 (Que)
BoKnows 3.0 (Penn)
Labs 4.0 (Penn)
Jer 4.5 (Ont)

Continental Division (20.5)
Brutus 2.5 (Ill)
Sicarius 2.5 (Miss)