NHL'94 Forums

Analyzing Game Videos

If it was simple and easy to make videos of your own games, would anybody be interested in getting their games analyzed by me?

Plabax claims that he can make a 10 minute game video in 15 mins, with 10 of that 15 being playback (you just let it run for 10 mins on its own if you didn't know). I'm not exactly sure how he does it so fast but I'm sure he'd give me the details.

I mean I'd probably just give you a text based analysis (I don't mind typing out a lot lol it's fun), audio would be fun but then I'd have to make my own videos and crap, too much work haha.

I wanna help any players that wanna improve as much as I can, I'm just too lazy to make a 94 guide. If there's any other ways of helping people with advice or whatever let me know.

Yeah just putting this out there to see if there's any interest at all. Doesn't matter what level you are, I can do it all ;)

The community needs to have it's games on Twitch and YT; every competitive video game does. Dare I say, NHL'94 is an E-Sport?

Yeah, I'd like to see analysis like that. You could annotate some of the big games from past leagues, like the GDL championships, for instance. You could do this one as a sample:

Voc: Yes! If you have any old or preferably relatively recent vids, give me them. I'll try to get Plabax's method for making vids in 15 mins regardless so if you don't have any you can make some.

Raph: You have the motivation, analysis vids would be really great, especially with instant replays!

Clockwise: Mannnn. That truly is the dream, 94 on Twitch. 94 totally has the depth to become an E-sport. It would be really really hare to get it the exposure it needs, but man it's fun to think about. That GDL X game would be fun to review, but don't you think it makes more sense to analyze games that people want of themselves more? Unless Icestorm or Swos want that game reviewed haha.

I think that having an outside source try to find what went wrong with your games would be super helpful. It's super helpful to go over your own games (although to my knowledge nobody does this outside of 'for fun'), but getting another opinion is even better.

I'd definitely take you up on this for entertainment value alone.

Once the Classic series is posted, you can start there.

I'll record another 5-10 games over the next week and send those as well, maybe even get a few vs Plabax.

I'd definitely take you up on this for entertainment value alone.

Once the Classic series is posted, you can start there.

I'll record another 5-10 games over the next week and send those as well, maybe even get a few vs Plabax.

Bring it on Brutie :)

The community needs to have it's games on Twitch and YT; every competitive video game does. Dare I say, NHL'94 is an E-Sport?

Yeah, I'd like to see analysis like that. You could annotate some of the big games from past leagues, like the GDL championships, for instance. You could do this one as a sample:

agreed 100% i just made a twitch account for counter strike and all i could think is how great it would be for 94 games to be steamed live

glitch.tv is horrendous. good ideas, generally, though, guys.

Twitch has 50 million unique visitors per month, mostly to watch gaming streams, and is a top 100 Alexa site in the US. Even a Luddite could see the benefits it could have on increasing traffic and pulling in new players to some of the leagues that feel as though they're contracting -- or they're growing at a glacial pace.

The other option, having an NHL94.com YT channel with scheduled content (weekly match-up show, for example) would be quite a burden for whoever manages it. Whereas with Twitch, you just stream while you play, and people can comment during the games, which makes it fun for other members of the community to spectate during big games.

That GDL X game would be fun to review, but don't you think it makes more sense to analyze games that people want of themselves more? Unless Icestorm or Swos want that game reviewed haha.

I think that having an outside source try to find what went wrong with your games would be super helpful. It's super helpful to go over your own games (although to my knowledge nobody does this outside of 'for fun'), but getting another opinion is even better.

I remember doing some video analysis back in 2001-06 when I took NHL 94 more seriously and had more time.

In GDL 11 though I tried something I hadn’t done before which was analysing how I should play against kingraph. I did it because I feared kingraph as he was in very good form. Also I could do it because I had recent material of him playing against me in a playoff series. I have recorded all my league games for I think over 10 years now. I watched our series from earlier GDL season and made notes of his playing style so I could avoid making mistakes and would have some sort of idea how I should play. Usually I don’t think about how to play against anyone and just play my own game, because I feel thinking too much while playing is going to hurt your game and you should just go with the flow you have learned. This time however I tried something different.

before watching the games I expected to find a kinraph there who plays cautious and tight passive defense. I was surprised it wasn’t like that at all. He had a pattern of defense that wasn’t passive at all and was more like carse. I won’t go into more detail as I don’t want to expose him much, though picture reveals something specially if you know Finnish. I think I hadn’t noticed his playing style before even though we had played a series recently because in the heat of the moment you are so focused on your own doing you don't get much out of the overall picture. I also analysed how he attacked and used his manual goalie.

what inspired me also was reading about how it was hard for Finnish olympic hockey team coach Erkka Westerlund to make the team play as a unit without them losing focus to their flow. He only had few days for training before the tournament and it was not enough time for players to learn complex team strategies so he would give players few individual instructions that they should follow and otherwise play as they know best. This had been a problem with the earlier coach of Finland where some NHL players didn’t like that they had to play the team system where they would lose their flow because they would need to think about what to do too much and the situation would be over already.

From this info I made a whiteboard with notes of how I should play and think during the series. I made my instructions also like Erkka would have, something simple enough so you wouldn’t lose the flow. I put the whiteboard next to the monitor so I easily read them while playing so they would be freshly be in use and I would remember the game plan.

Here’s what it looked like:

kingraphsarja.JPG

and it worked. I played one of my best series. though the games were tight I felt like I was in control of how I should play.

Next round I played against Zalex. I wanted to do the same method for his game but I didn’t have any recent playoff material of his game. Icestrom had their series recorded from earlier round and I asked if he could send them for me so I could watch them and prepare for our series, but he respectfully didn’t want to give out the games without Zalex’s aprovement. I went to the series with my normal play my own game method though with talks with icestorm I knew he would patiently hold the puck in offensive zone and find way to break passive defense. That’s what’s he’s best at along with Pete, my best friend, who I think is probably the best in this game of all time. We have always had tight and fun games with Zalex (

) and I thought this series wouldn’t be exception and I was right. It went into game 7 and he won.

looking back at our series with Zalex I should have played more aggressive defense because that’s what works against him. His friend Freydey on the other hand is different. Passive defense works against him because he’s not so good as Zalex to open passive defense and he’s more dangerous if you leave him room in front of the net.

What comes to the example video from our series with icestorm I would selfishly use this instead:

because at 11:40 is one of the best goal I have done. I was already down 0-2 in the series and game 3 went into overtime. I tried a keg toss and it went in directly from air. I have only managed to do that 1-2 times and it was also important goal in the series.

I think a lot if us are pretty even skill wise, it comes down to two things imo: clutch gene tge ability to play at high level despite circumstances and then preparation and knowledge of your opponent.

Jarkko that's very impressive the work and dedication you put in to your game

What I'd like to do for the next league finals, which would be GDL XII I think, is to get the finalists to record the games and send me the krecs. I'll ask that they send me a total of 7 games regardless (send random/rename old file if it doesn't go to 7), so I won't have ANY knowledge of the final result.

Then, I'll announce a live Twitch stream of the finals so everyone can watch together. I'd also do commentary, and invite others (TK, IceStorm, etc) to be a part of the commentating crew. We can all link up via raidcall, and comment during the stream. No lag effect as it would be replay watching.

One cool thing we could do is have instant replays of the game as requested! All you have to do is pause the playback game in one emulator (press esc key), take a savestate, and open the savestate file in another emulator that I'll have open to call the instant replay.

I think it'd be really cool to have the game talked about and and even instant replays to highlight plays/goals/moves, etc.

And the Twitch feed can be recorded for those who can't make it to the live show to watch at another time. I really think this will be fun / useful. Either that, or we'll have an hour of me arguing with TK and IceStorm.

I love Raphs idea here.

I also think a bi-weekly or once a month set up w/ 2-4 recorded season/ exi games chosen for commentary would be cool as well to get the kinks worked out & get some if the fresh blood some insight into the vets play/minds

This, updating the web page and introducing plenty of new features, introducing a small money pool for some of the major tournaments like 50$ (I could do that as a charity) and all are the things that we can make this community to grow even more. The game is known to be legendary by all already, just proper marketing and more people would join up. The basis of a good active community already is there to work as a magnet. It's all right there if we just want to make it, because it's all doable. :)

Think big! Daeemn w**ds!#51?

Does the game stream on twitch without lagging? It's always seemed so sensitive to any other traffic.

Went smoothly with 4 player 2on2.

Either that, or we'll have an hour of me arguing with TK and IceStorm.

Why compromise?

I love Raphs idea here.

I also think a bi-weekly or once a month set up w/ 2-4 recorded season/ exi games chosen for commentary would be cool as well to get the kinks worked out & get some if the fresh blood some insight into the vets play/minds

Good idea! I'll try to get this ball rolling soon to see if it actually works.

i was actually surprised how without lag the 2v2 match was we had that i streamed on twitch. i personally love to watch games live as they happen, it always kinda erks me when i cant watch my team live and having to watch it on dvr or whatever you may have. for me, it takes away the fun. watching things live for me is more exciting, but i know this is 94 and we cant always get what we want. the replay idea might be more logical because a spectator could cause lag or ds but it seemed fine for 4 players, so in theory 3 should be just that much better.

Streaming live happens in other lag sensitive games too, like LOL/FPS-games. It basically shouldn't affect your connection that much. This might've been different like 10 years ago and even today as it is very upstream dependant. People used to have like 1Mbit upstream, which would start to affect games then too, but with 2Mbit+ it should not be a problem. Can easily try to stream some exis with ustream what we've used in Kibas NHL95 manager league. Have not tried twitch, which is the more popular one for games, but the idea should be the same.