NHL'94 Forums

Pixelated Heroes Video Blog #1

LOL, I think I had the same reaction when I first started playing SNES after years of Genesis. It gets better (sort of).

Some quick tips to help you guys get ready for the tourney:

* Slappers basically don't work in SNES, so don't even bother trying.

* The pass-shot is a Genesis thing, non existent in SNES.

* Learn to deke the goalie, it works 90% of the time once you get the hang of it.

* NO AUTO GOALIES! Practice manual goalie asap.

* Manual goalie movements in SNES take a while to get used to...strange feeling. Best explanation is the goalie moves like a floating brick.

Maybe some of the SNES experts can provide better info.

There's something so great about live playing, and watching people play live. The trash talking (lol @ Super Mario jingle), the "OMG" shouts, curses, etc. It's just great. I hope you all have a successful tournament -- I'm looking forward to watching the Saskatoon Smashfest in addition to NFL playoff action this weekend. Epic. :)

Awesome vid! Enjoyed watching. I think Kingraph nailed all the points perfectly. I should probably add in the tournament rules that manual goalies will be on, since you can still go back in and change your goalie to 'auto' if you don't want to accidentally take control of him. However, not having manual control of your goalie makes it harder to win, as most of us playing can score on the auto goalie quite easily.

Having said that, anything can happen in a 5 minute period game, and there's a good chance you'll only play that person once in the tournament. So by the time they might have figured you out, it could be too late for them. You're not as bad as you think. We're not as good as you think. (Well maybe except for angryjay...that guy is really good.....and schwartz is really good, and gorecki, and logan, and the90jacket, and the list goes on.)

Thanks Guys!

After the intense studying of the dynamics of the game, I know why the SNES just felt weird. I never really played them back to back always months or years apart. I mistakenly always assumed the only difference is SNES needed a code for the playoffs... I was so wrong! But i'm I wrong to say that the SNES version looks better? The graphics seem to pop better. But there is a weird choppiness to it that the Gens doesn't have. I think I may just be going crazy!!! hahahaha

Edited by McMikey

Choppiness?!! Floating brick?!!! The genesis feels so much better?!!!.............Trudatman raging. Lol

Edited by LA Robbie

In few hundred SNES games I've played, nobody has scored on a pass shot, let alone attempted one with any frequency. That's why I said its not a thing in SNES.

Do Annatar, Bob Kudelski, Oilers, Black Devil, C4, BoKnows, or any of the top SNES players use this? Maybe I'm wrong?

Comparing to Genesis, where many of the top players like Plabax, Frey, Swos, IceStorm, Zalex, Depch, etc. utilize the pass shot effectively each game. You gotta be prepared to defend against that.

In few hundred SNES games I've played, nobody has scored on a pass shot, let alone attempted one with any frequency. That's why I said its not a thing in SNES.

Do Annatar, Bob Kudelski, Oilers, Black Devil, C4, BoKnows, or any of the top SNES players use this? Maybe I'm wrong?

Comparing to Genesis, where many of the top players like Plabax, Frey, Swos, IceStorm, Zalex, Depch, etc. utilize the pass shot effectively each game. You gotta be prepared to defend against that.

Pass shot can be done in SNES but it's more of a trick shot rather than a go-to move. I have been scored on with the pass shot a few times, but usually in exhibition game, or in a rout. I have also scored 1 or 2 pass shot goals, but would never rely on it as a tactic. I have however scored a few more times in penalty shots since you can sometimes catch your opponent off guard and whip a pass straight in from the blueline.

I think that when Plabax was playing SNES, he used the pass shot, or at least tried, and had some success. But ultimately, the pass shot is just not an effective way to score.

I think it's because to score on a pass shot, you basically have to come in as you would on a regular "deke goal" and there needs to be an opening to squeak the puck in, so if the opening is there, you might as well shoot it in as opposed to try the pass, which requires pinpoint accuracy. You also need to be in alone on the goalie with no teammate ahead of you or else he can inadvertently become the target.

Edited by Bob Kudelski

Thanks Guys!

After the intense studying of the dynamics of the game, I know why the SNES just felt weird. I never really played them back to back always months or years apart. I mistakenly always assumed the only difference is SNES needed a code for the playoffs... I was so wrong! But i'm I wrong to say that the SNES version looks better? The graphics seem to pop better. But there is a weird choppiness to it that the Gens doesn't have. I think I may just be going crazy!!! hahahaha

The SNES hardware does colours better, so it'll look more colourful. But the Genesis version has a higher frame rate, so it's smoother.

* Slappers basically don't work in SNES, so don't even bother trying.

That's a myth ;-) My stats with slappers are around 5%. I made some recording a year ago (don't have idea where all the vids are now, I got many external hard drives) to show how to score and want to elaborate more on this subject. Basicaly it's a matter of right timing and choosing a player with good shooting skills. Surprisingly backhand slappers work pretty well too.

That's a myth ;-) My stats with slappers are around 5%. I made some recording a year ago (don't have idea where all the vids are now, I got many external hard drives) to show how to score and want to elaborate more on this subject. Basicaly it's a matter of right timing and choosing a player with good shooting skills. Surprisingly backhand slappers work pretty well too.

5% overall, or 5% with big shot guys like Sandstrom, Bourque, Hull, etc? I'm guessing it's 5% with big shot guys, of which there are few.

Overall. The percentage would be probably higher if I try to score only with the players with good shooting skills but I try to score with slappers with all the players.

I'll try to dig the videos and stats asap to post them.

Overall. The percentage would be probably higher if I try to score only with the players with good shooting skills but I try to score with slappers with all the players.

I'll try to dig the videos and stats asap to post them.

Oh, yeah that'd be awesome if you found them, thanks!