NHL'94 Forums

SNES VS SEGA NHL 94 HOT DEBATE

Currently I play on the SNES system, after all the hoop la i heard how genesis was better i went out and purchased the entire console....well after playing the game i was very dissapointed..the graphics were worst and it just seemed choppier....why is it that everyone loves sega more?

SNES VICTORY!!!!!

I believe it is the gameplay. I have played both, but I guess I am biased due to starting out on the genesis side. The graphics are better, but the play seems, in my opinion, superior on the genesis console.

Wally

I think this debate could go on and on forever with good points for both sides.

In the end, it comes down to personal preference (and sometimes which version of the game you played first).

I'm one of the people that thinks the Genesis version is far superior because of the gameplay, like Wally said. But there's no right answer to this, and you always get about equal votes for either game.

-Evan

• Love 1

The graphics ARE NOT choppier on the Sega version, its the SNES version that is choppier because they had to cut the framerate in half so the game would play on the system.

The SNES version does have way better graphics and I like the defence control and the use of the X button to grab the manual goalie. I have played both versions of the game a lot and prefer the CD version overall due to the smoothness and the ability to edit the game and play it without the need to play it on the computer, (which other then online play is lame) or other fancy expensive hardware.

My friends and I prefer the Sega CD version hands down.

The SNES version does have way better graphics ...

I tend to disagree overall on the graphics side, I mean the SNES player sprites are just to odd/skinny with not as much of a shade depth look to them. The goalies look interesting, but a little out of place. Again, no lighting shading represented on the gloves/pads.

I feel the 16 color dithered player photos would look more life-like in 16 color grayscale like the genesis version, and the SNES title intro screen for 94 is just lame .

As for gameplay, hands down SEGA version for me. Shots in SNES seem to have a little bit more pepper behind them which is one thing I like.

• 3 weeks later...

There is no comparison. Genesis has superior sports games to SNES. The only exception that occurs is in basketball.

However, NHL'94 and NHL'95 are still fun to play on SNES. I would take SNES NHL'94 over any new generation of hockey games that have been shoved down our throat this century.

• 2 weeks later...

while i agree that people's opinions in this debate seem to reflect which version they played first, i feel that objectively speaking, the genesis version is undoubtedly the superior game. there may be fine points which snes supporters prefer (overall speed, one touch goalie control), but there is one key factor which outweighs any advantage snes may have: user records.

the ability to save stats, records, even crowd crowd levels, gives the genesis version an epic feel and addds even more replay value.

think of it this way: would you rather set a record on a superior version (though i'm certainly not saying that the snes version is superior) and have that record unrecorded and relegated to hearsay, or set a record on an inferior version and have it preserved for all time (or at least until your battery fails).

for me the choice is an obvious one. i have even known snes users who have resorted to keeping handwritten notes to document their head to head record in an effort to mimic a standard feature on genesis. but even then, they were missing out on the satisfaction of having goal records for every team and player in the game! if that doesn't confirm the superiority of genesis nhl '94, i don't know what does.

• 2 months later...

Well I've actually haven't played NHL 94 "irl", only on emulator so I have no real feeling for it, sorry to say. I had EA Hockey, Elitserien (NHL) 95 and NHL 96 for Genesis, though the first EA hockey game I've played was NHL 94 at SNES, and that is still my all time favorite hockey game.

NHL 94 at snes keeps that fine line between fun, great gameplay and graphics to me. Unfortunately I think that the Genesis versions pre NHL 95 are close to ugly, but I sure did enjoy EA Hockey every now and then. Haven't played NHL 93 much either, but I have played it irl some times.

I've never owned a snes though, heh.. So I play it on emulator like all the time. And I love to edit game, in which ever way so I try my best to make it the way I want it... But if I found a snes with nhl 94 for the right price I would probably buy it. And then get one of those things where you can play roms, I guess you can play hacked roms on that thing? :unsure: That would be the best.

So my obvious choice is the SNES version. But! However, I do LOVE stats, so that's one thing that has me very curious with the Gen verison. Well well... That's the way it is.

These point are in my humble opinion only :)

Sega had a better joypad

Snes felt like the level was a bit higher

Sega had USER RECORDS

s**t....you guys are making me so curious on that Sega CD version!!!!

I've seen some downloads here on this site but I simply didn't had any clue how to get that to work....even after reading the read me :unsure:

These point are in my humble opinion only :)

Sega had a better joypad

Snes felt like the level was a bit higher

Sega had USER RECORDS

s**t....you guys are making me so curious on that Sega CD version!!!!

I've seen some downloads here on this site but I simply didn't had any clue how to get that to work....even after reading the read me :unsure:

You can get the Sega CD version to easily work on your Sega CD system, all the files are on the main site. If you go here:

http://www.nhl94.com/html/editing/edit_iso...y_on_segacd.asp

That will tell you how to burn the ISO image to make it work in your Sega CD. Also, if you have the CD, you can boot that with GENS, just make sure PERFECT SYNCRO is on in the CPU menu. That applies for running the ISO image or the CD itself.

• 2 weeks later...

Im def a fan of the SNES version although I sometimes think i never gave the genesis enough of a chance.

I just wanted to plug something here really fast too :|

As Evan has stated before the hope is to run both a SNES and GENESIS league in tandem this coming season, but in the meanwhile myself and a few friends have put together a little exhibition tourney. The hope is to fill all 24 team spots by February 10 and start the tournament immediately after that. Once the new season comes around we'll all have an idea about who to watch out for or where everyone ranks. 8-)

Head down to http://www.nhl94online.tk to get setup and see your asses on the ice :|

• 4 years later...

The SCD version works rather nicely, but I'd like to hear the ambient sounds and the rink music. :lol: Any adjustments on how to do so?

• 1 year later...

Currently I play on the SNES system, after all the hoop la i heard how genesis was better i went out and purchased the entire console....well after playing the game i was very dissapointed..the graphics were worst and it just seemed choppier....why is it that everyone loves sega more?

SNES VICTORY!!!!!

Genesis all the way and it's really not even close. Back in the day I was a SNES fanboy and hated SEGA, but I played NHLPA 93 on the Genesis and was forced to admit it was by far the better sports game. I am still not sure why sports games on the SNES were so crappy. Games like F-Zero moved at lightning speed but you're telling me they couldn't match the gameplay of the SEGA version? The SNES console overall was a superior system to the Genesis, and it had a much better selection of games. Games that were more fun than Genesis on average. Though Genesis did have some great titles, like the Sonic series.

But in terms of sports games Genesis all the way. And it pains me to say that grrrrr. For whatever reason, EA or whomever just did not focus much energy into sports games on the SNES. I think they were just used to working with the Genesis since it came out first, and did half-assed work on the SNES versions. But the SNES version did get better starting with 94, and have their own unique feel to them.

But like WBOY said the players on the SNES version are just too skinny and weird looking for me. But I guess its personal preference. I started out with NHLPA 93, so maybe thats why I'm used to those graphics since they carried over into NHL 94.

Genesis all the way and it's really not even close. Back in the day I was a SNES fanboy and hated SEGA, but I played NHLPA 93 on the Genesis and was forced to admit it was by far the better sports game. I am still not sure why sports games on the SNES were so crappy.

In the case of SNES NHLPA '93, it was just a bad direct port of the Genesis version. Probably done really, really quickly and/or by someone who wasn't familiar with SNES programming.

ooh! another one of these that I haven't posted in, yet... sweet. I could rant for hours about why any one of these issues define the SNES superiority:

-reasonable controller response time

-no weight fail

-left defenseman control button

-right defenseman control button

-goaltender control button

-stand up button

-no automatic faceoff goal by passing through the fivehole

-can change lines on the fly without passing the puck away

-zero players skate for two teams at the same time

-better passing

-better skating

-better stickhandling

-better puck physics

-better player contact physics

-better defensive AI

-better netminding

-quit game option

-controller/team selection screen

now, don't let it be said that I wasn't fair and balanced on this issue; the Genesis version does one important thing that the SNES one doesn't. in the Genesis version, the fatigue bars reflect player substitutions. the SNES version fails at that one thing.

why hali.. whyyyyyyy

SNES: better features (woo buttons)

Genesis: better gameplay to most people even despite the feature mismatch

"stand up button" is stupid and I assume mentioned sarcastically

suck it SNES!

SNES is like session musicians, very good at what they do, but kinda uninspired/uninspiring

Genesis is like a band, not the cleanest delivery, but rocking your face and sleeping with your girlfriend and somehow you're ok with that

• Love 1

SNES is like session musicians, very good at what they do, but kinda uninspired/uninspiring

Genesis is like a band, not the cleanest delivery, but rocking your face and sleeping with your girlfriend and somehow you're ok with that

:lol:

• 1 year later...

I don't understand this. Everyone who says the Genesis version is better says it has gameplay. But not ONE person mentioned HOW it has better gameplay. Please, for Christ sakes, how does it have better gameplay? In what way exactly!?? I never played the Genesis version, I've only had an SNES back in the day.

Edited by Blaze_Firestarter

I don't understand this. Everyone who says the Genesis version is better says it has gameplay. But not ONE person mentioned HOW it has better gameplay. Please, for Christ sakes, how does it have better gameplay? In what way exactly!?? I never played the Genesis version, I've only had an SNES back in the day.

That's a tough question to answer because it's mostly up to your opinion. The "feel" of the game is different. I'd suggest that you just play both and decide for yourself! I like both versions. But they are definitely different in a number of ways.

I will say that I think a lot of the Genesis people like the "loose" skating feel.

the biggest thing for me is that the Genesis seems to be slow to react to cotroller instructions. I recently sold mine because I rarely played it and when I did I would get frustrated with the drastic difference in response between other gaming systems and that one. for a game like '94, quick reactions are key. you can "blast process" your hedgehog as much as you want, but when I have to anticipate where my fast-moving character will be on the screen when the system finally recognizes and displays the command I gave it, that sucks. now, the system supposedly has the same 16ms controller response time as the SNES (as claimed by a posting party here -- I'd love to see proof), but the Super Nintendo reacts seemingly instantaneously and I cannot say that about the Genesis. the Genesis version of '94 came first and was more popular, so it maintains a larger following. I suggest that this is built mostly on familiarity and nostalgia. Genesis players ( <--- I resisted the urge to use that term y'all love to hate) may claim to not require "feature overload," but they sure were happy with the instant goalie control hack and would probably love defense control and even a stand back up command added to their game. SNES players love the precision and quickness -- THE FLOW. do Genesis players enjoy delayed flow? maybe. I highlighted some major differences in a post above, but a few ring alarmingly in my mind when I think of the Genesis version of NHL '94. before hacks, the Genesis version delayed goaltender control until too late, had some players on multiple teams at once, had a drastic mathematics failure known as "the weight bug...." obviously I could go on, analytically. when Genesis folks attempt similar rationalizations of supposed superiority, their claims ring hollow. sure, lots of the major issues were fixed with hacks (which is GREAT), but I wish as much work went into improving the better version (at least the worse one is getting better, though). in rereading this thread, one suggestion is that user records are crucial. if you require user records, go with the Genesis version. if you require quick responses to commands, goaltender and defenseman control, satisfying checking, decent skater agility, realistic physics, minimized glitching and an overall feeling of control over your players, don't go with the Genesis version. Sega CD and PC versions don't get nearly enough love, either. both are far superior to the Genesis. I'm a SNES guy, as I'm sure you all know. thanks for reading this. try them all.

After playing some snes games again recently, I'd actually argue the control responses are slower than Genesis. For example, I have no trouble executing a close range onetimer in Genesis, but I've noticed I need to be further apart in SNES. Also, I can't deke back and forth as quickly in SNES vs Genesis. I'll try to put a video of what I'm talking about to help explain my latter example.