NHL'94 Forums

Hot/Cold Streaks

Brutus

Anyone know if we use any patches for hot/cold streaks??

I know in the original ROM (Classic), when a player is hot or cold, the "in game" ratings you see are not actually their actual "in game" ratings, as a player's skills can vary a little from game to game.

http://forum.nhl94.com/index.php?/topic/12074-how-to-make-the-edit-lines-ratings-match-the-actual-on-ice-ratings/?hl=%2Bcold+%2Bstreak#entry94189

I don't believe GDL uses any hacks outside of setting team home/away strengths equally.

This was being discussed yesterday in the GDL chat. It seems there is something very different from the default settings.

Skill value of the 0-6 give an attribute value of X.

0=25 (25)
1=25-43 (34)
2=34-52 (43)
3=45-63 (54)
4=63-81 (72)
5=81-99 (90)
6=99
I'm leaving out the RB as I have no clue how that works or does it have any effect to anything.
But in edit lines / team roster:
Classic: All skills seem to be separated from eachother. Hot/Cold seems to range from -9 to +9 for each attribute. Muller can be 80 agility and 72 speed. I Do not know does this reflect to the game correctly as well.
GDL: Let's say you have Muller who is 4 4 4 4 4 4 4 4 4 4 4 4 4 4 4 4 4 4 44 4 4 in skill values for each attribute, ok maybe a few 4:s too much, but you get the point. In GDL your skill value 4 might get attribute value of 63 one game and 80 the other game. That would mean Muller is possibly one game 63 agility 63 speed and so on and on another one he'd be 80 agi and 80 speed and so on (Him getting his 4 valued to 80 would actually make him very very good already).
Blitz: All skills seem to be defaulted always to their basic value. Like Muller would always be 72 agility and 72 speed in team roster/edit lines.
-Someone stated that the RB hot/colds would have affect in Blitz, but it does not look like so in the edit lines / team rosters.
-In GDL even you can easily notice a player with 5 speed having different speeds, sometimes Ronning is just an average joe like Emerson when he gets his number 5 skill value rated as 82. Some games he's one of the fastest guys in the game when the speed hits 90+. I do not know if the line changes attributes reflect to the game correctly, but Plabax confirmed that this would be so in GDL. The same difference can be seen with Kamensky 5 shotpower easily, same games it's just like Francis and sometimes he blasts them like Hull. There is variance there.
Plabax seemed to suggest that there might be something with the incremential of 10:s. As it is evident with stickhandling 80+ at least. In the 70's you fall for a B-check most of the time and with 80+ you get the wobble effect.
In the PC version of NHL Hockey the attribute skills were by the incremential of 5. Like 75-80-85-90-95-100 and so on.
Edited by Depch

Smoz offered several changes to the hot/cold streaks.

One of the was to NOT have all your attributes randomly going up or down, but all in the same direction for the same amount.

One of them left it like in classic where each skill randomly moves but in the edit lines section, the correct values where displayed.

And a third option PREVENTED you from seeing any of the changes to your guys ratings in game, but just displayed them as the base number, so Muller would show 72's but might be all 68's or all 78's.

Smoz big fear was intentional desynchs from guys knowing if their best players were hot or cold. So I'd wager blitz has the corrected hot/cold streak but prevents it from being displayed.

I do not have confirmation of any of this though, and I'm on my phone so I can't check the roms.

This information by Brutus would seem to confirm it all. Blitz has the system where all 4 skills are always showed as 72 but maybe they vary separatedly like in Classic (where they don't show the right values though?).

GDL just marks the skill value for a random attribute value withint that range and it applies to all similar skill values for that certain player. Skills shown in line changes / team roster are valid.

My personal preferation would be classic system, with correct values shown. I am fine with all of these though, since it is the same for everyone, but having a Francis of 63 max skill is devastating, well just not gonna use him then in GDL for example in those games. =)

I don't want to think that we have such a rotten apples in the community who would use this attribute knowledge to the extend of creating a desync. Desyncs are relatively rare in this community for my experience at least and seeing an increased value by some would cause suspicions and if it would be verified, such a guy would deserve a 100% ban from the whole community.

This is however great and new info for me and will be able to use it for my personal gain, as will everyone be able to do so.

Few mysteries for me still are the RB screen, which I live in a suspicion that it has zero effect. But what about the hot and cold, is it applies in Blitz or was that just speculation/hearsay.

The other mystery is crowd effect/momentum. I have absolutely no clue how that works, but some games the AI just plays way way better and there is even some difference within the games as well. Sometimes the AI rushes to intercept passes by themselves, sometimes they're making odd turns at weird times creating more like a paveway to your goal for those 5 speeders. Sometimes they're very structured and this varies within games and against same opponents.

So we are using the following settings.

Classic #1 (default)

GDL #5

Blitz #3

I would be really really interested in trying out option #2. If we can remove some random things from the game, then for a competitive side that should be encouraged. This has a minor problem with skill values 3 -> 4 -> 5 having huge differences, but in a way it would be really interesting. I would even nullify the crowd effect if that was possible for the competitive side, those extra boosts and AI positional fumbles are just weird sometimes. Games would be closer overall if those didn't occurr, I'd guess.

1=34
2=43
3=54
4=72
5=90
6=99
I also like option #4 a lot and can understand #3 very well. The option #5 seems to be the odd one out, any clues when that was implemented to GDL?
Edited by Depch

I would even nullify the crowd effect if that was possible for the

competitive side, those extra boosts and AI positional fumbles are just

weird sometimes

That is easy use EARE and make all teams even on HOME and AWAY.

Another amazing Smoz invention.

I would be really really interested in trying out option #2. If we can

remove some random things from the game, then for a competitive side

that should be encouraged. This has a minor problem with skill values 3

-> 4 -> 5 having huge differences, but in a way it would be really

interesting. I would even nullify the crowd effect if that was possible

for the competitive side, those extra boosts and AI positional fumbles

are just weird sometimes. Games would be closer overall if those didn't

occurr, I'd guess.

I disagree and think it is one of the best features of this game.

Surprised that GDL has a hot/cold hack applied, I was under the impression it was classic ROM with drafted teams. Maybe swos knows?

I don't think the hot/cold thing has to do with momentum or those games that are clearly skewed for one team vs the other. Even the home/away ice advantages being the same doesn't prevent those skewed games.

I disagree and think it is one of the best features of this game.

To some degree I do like it as well, especially in casual games. But I'm thinking figuratively here if NHL'94 should become a bigger competitive game, which it has all the merits to be one, then like in most other competitive scenes the effect of luck is always minimized with different settings/hacks usually. In that sense #2 is something to not completely ditch out and I'd be up for a tournament, cup or something with that, but not now, sometime in the future. I'm in a way more open to this anyways, because my background is from PC gaming and there the skills were always static, but like I previously said with increments of 5 so the difference between 3-4-5 might be too much as it's almost 20.

Edited by Depch

I really want to keep this topic hot as it's a big issue. In my mind out of all the hacks Smoz provided the #5 hot/cold fix is the worst. Has it been applied to GDL that long ago that it's too late to change it now. Keep it for the legacy or has this been done like in the later GDL:s like gdl 7 or 8 and so on when it might not be too late to change it, if people should feel so.

#1 I think default is ok, even though the info is not shown correctly, it's just to mask separated hot/cold for each attribute on each player.

#2 For me this is the best option. As it is to reduce the luck factor in games, but for hardcore console gamers this might be too revolutionary and people might resist, totally understand it. And it might be too drastic for a 6 step player skill evaluation. Huge difference 3=54, 4=72, 5=90!!

#3 This is like #1 in Classic, just that the player skills are shown as unchanged default skills instead of a fake hot/cold.

#4 This is very nice as well. It will allow you to view skills in edit lines and make line changes accordingly. It gives each unique skill on each player a hot or cold.

#5 This is the worst option in my mind. Some games you might end up with a super Gartner of 98 speed,agility,shotpower,stickhandling and so on and at the same time if you get really unlucky you might be playing against that as a Muller of 63 speed,agi,shotpower,accuracy,stickhandling,passing. Even #4 is better than this, because it will reduce the chances of a bad luck, it's really unlikely all your skills would be 63 with that option with Muller. I'll give another example of this vice verse. Muller could be some games 80 speed, agi, shotpower, accuracy, stickhandling,passing so on and Gartner ends up shitting up as 81 speed,agi,shotpower,stickhandling. =)

So in my mind, GDL has the worst option for the fix currently. Please give your opinions and especially some oldschoolers of GDL could participate to take heed, is option #5 too legacy to be ever changed for GDL?

Edited by Depch

2>3>1>4>5

Hot and cold changes way too much. Similar to what depch said, +1/-1 on both speed and agility (both together and separate) names a HUGE difference on how your player feels and plays. This isn't even considering how much the other attributes throw things out of wack.

You can argue that some randomness makes things more fun but really it does much more harm than good. Sure, we all play for fun in the end, but that's hardly am excuse to make things less balanced and sane than they need to be. Luck is no fun in a competitive environment and it can ruin a whole season and playoff with one instance of stupidity.

Depch, I see what you're saying about showing true ratings, but really you can't put it past players to intentionally desynch. This has happened in the past and I'm sure it's in the minds of some who play today. I agree it's completely awful and classless, but there will always be mavs and dcicons and houlys around. Also, remember how carse and Frey always desynched in game 6 of a series as they said? Who knows, maybe it wasn't always a coincidence haha. There's really no need to show the true ratings (although there's really no need for hot and cold streaks in the first place), especially because the tiny pros that come with it are heavily outweighed by the big risk cons.

But really, the choice can only be between #2 and #3. All the others are insane :$

2>3>1>4>5

Hot and cold changes way too much. Similar to what depch said, +1/-1 on both speed and agility (both together and separate) names a HUGE difference on how your player feels and plays. This isn't even considering how much the other attributes throw things out of wack.

You can argue that some randomness makes things more fun but really it does much more harm than good. Sure, we all play for fun in the end, but that's hardly am excuse to make things less balanced and sane than they need to be. Luck is no fun in a competitive environment and it can ruin a whole season and playoff with one instance of stupidity.

Depch, I see what you're saying about showing true ratings, but really you can't put it past players to intentionally desynch. This has happened in the past and I'm sure it's in the minds of some who play today. I agree it's completely awful and classless, but there will always be mavs and dcicons and houlys around. Also, remember how carse and Frey always desynched in game 6 of a series as they said? Who knows, maybe it wasn't always a coincidence haha. There's really no need to show the true ratings (although there's really no need for hot and cold streaks in the first place), especially because the tiny pros that come with it are heavily outweighed by the big risk cons.

But really, the choice can only be between #2 and #3. All the others are insane :$

I do trust in statistics and propabilities most of the time. If we would track the desyncs and saw an increase with a certain guy, we know what's going on and he could be booted from the community, like forever. But it's a job and perhaps it is better to avoid even with keeping the true ratings hidden. This is not the case in current GDL and who knows for how many seasons, we have the roms to download so I can check it up since when this has been applied.

I think #1 has to be in the discussion. Like how is that different from #3? The only difference between them is that #1 is classic/default, no need to make any changes to rom and both of them apply each attribute separatedly cold or hot. #1 just shows fake ratings and #3 shows true natural rating. Both of them conceal the true value and both give hot/cold for each skill separatedly.

[edit]

Found it, season 8 in GDL is the last one using the default system #1. Since season 9 we have been using fix #5.

aka that is only 3 seasons of using #5, 8 seasons of using #1. Not too late to change it imo should there be a vote or whatever.

Edited by Depch

You can argue that some randomness makes things more fun but really it

does much more harm than good. Sure, we all play for fun in the end, but

that's hardly am excuse to make things less balanced and sane than they

need to be. Luck is no fun in a competitive environment and it can ruin

a whole season and playoff with one instance of stupidity.

I have been playing and coaching High School and College athletics for over 35 years and injuries, luck, and hot/cold streaks are huge part of any competitive environment.

If the goal of all this is to find out who is best at controlling the sticks or keyboard, then you would need a rom that all players/teams/everything were exactly equal.

You could probably do that.

Bad Luck would and could still happen.

To me you would then be playing rod hockey on your computer. (Which I love by the way and if you ever beat me at it, I am sure it would be due to bad luck)

@Depch - Okay yeah good point, I should've said #2 or #3/1. You're right, 3 and 1 are basically the same. I guess 1 could sort of confuse people when they think about their lines mid game or something, but not a big deal whatsoever. Like for example I didn't know this at all when I played in gdl 9, I just looked at my players attributes in edit lines. I was also in general way less knowledgeable then, but it's not exactly common sense at first to check attributes in nose / the nflpickempool website. But you're totally right, 3/1 is no big deal, it's kinda cool to keep it as classic as possible even if it's a slight flaw.

@Mac - Fair enough about luck being a big part of all sports, I see what you mean. Luck is still a big part of 94. Goalies are pretty methodical, but seemingly random stuff does go by them, or rebound off them in (un)fortunate ways. Faceoffs are a total mystery, and seemingly very random. Passing (while tied into the passing attributes) is a little bit random. There's a lot of skill in the risk/reward in choosing your passes wisely, and other things such as manually receiving a long pass, but overall it's still very hard to get a high pass %. There seems to be much randomness in injuries as well. This isn't enough randomness for you? Haha. Oh yeah, I forgot, MOMENTUM. This at least has to be somewhat random, and makes a huge difference in games especially because it's still such a mystery. I think this is more than enough randomness, and we should keep player attributes the same so we have full control over our team as they don't skate or shoot differently from game to game.

Mannn I love rod hockey! I've always called it table hockey, but I find rod hockey to be a better/funnier name. I'm not very good at it, but I do have one of those little Stiga tables that I bought a few years ago. So fun, I need to dig that up and play it. It's great because it's the opposite of 94, onetimers are hard and super satisfying :)

I like seeing ratings change each game and feeling the difference in players (shooting and speed especially are noticeable). I think it adds another dynamic where you might want to put in a 2nd liner (who's rated higher in a given game) and take out a first liner whose rating has dropped. Yes it's random who's hot each game, but it's the exact same thing with penalties, totally random/luck. Both of these are factors that can change the outcome of a game considerably. I guess it comes down to how much fortune/misfortune and consequences out of human control people want in a video game. But coldness in some players each game is made up for with hotness in others on your team. It's not like your whole team is cold all at once.

I think it's nice to know actual ratings each game before the game starts. What's the reason for disguising it? You'll find out eventually when your star shooter blows golden opportunities 5 feet wide with what feels like 3 shot power, but at that point using him all game could have cost you immensely.

Edited by Uncle Seth

Phishing through some of the forums here & there, I see comments about changes to ROM's, like the speed burst & it's hex value. We also find that the previous seasons have been played with some differing hacks applied, etc. (minus home/away team bonus's which are understandably supposed to be removed so you don't have an advantage choosing Chicago as your GDL team over NY Islanders).

I think it would be very prudent if the ROM we use for GDL is Classic Rom, unless the commish speaks out on using one with hacks, and check into not having any previous add/deletions.

Finding out that these hacks have been in GDL since season 9 changes quite a bit what kind of talks there can be involving the league. Even in season 9 there was a vote about goalie Y button for example.

A ) If hacks are continued to be used, then talks of new hacks should be open too. Only one that is basically out of the question is weight bug fix or it would be just another Blitz and tbh weight bug doesn't feel so much of a bug anymore after the invention of CB (But I get the point for some). And lael, we actually had votes about new hacks for this season, forgot about that first, here's the thread http://forum.nhl94.com/index.php/topic/16496-gdl-xii-poll-y-button-gc-and-cb-fix/.

B ) Return to Classic rom with no hacks that affect the game itself in any way excluding the team bonuses. It's only been 3 seasons since the haxes have been involved. There is more legacy in the classic GDL (8 seasons) vs 3 seasons with hacks on.

I did not see any kind of vote on turning up to use #5 patch for hot/cold values. This should be defaulted back to #1.

But in reality it looks like there are only 2 ways to vote

A ) #1 & #3 options for those who want to hide the true values from line changes. Difference between #1 & #3 are only how they are shown in line changes. Thus making #1 logical option before #3 for the legacy sake.

B ) #4 & #5 options for those who want to see true values in line changes too. Someone already brought up that there would be some rotten apples, who are so selfish that they would use this to their own advantage and cause desyncs. Also option #5 really can make or break someones games. Just played 4 exis with Plab where Kamensky had his 4 skill set as 63-66 _4_ games a row. This essentially made him more like Clark who has an adp of 50+ to Kamensky. This would be very unlikely to happen in options #1, #3, #4 as each attribute gets a random hot/cold value like in classic version of nhl94. While the player skills won't change much of the results, some games they might have difference does the shot go in, is your guy wobbling from b-checks etc.

From this deduction we can get to options #1 and #4 being the only ones that have any sense. And that would be to show the true values in line changes or not.

Skip could return the #1 option back to the rom or if not I can do it.

ps. All this included hacks removes some prestige I've had towards GDL, still a great league, but I had thought of it as a "clean" league before this thread. Great thing this thread happened though. : p

[EDIT]

Option #2 works as well, just failed to apply it in my first test to a random rom.

Edited by Depch

To be clear, Depch is using these terms when discussing Option 1-5.

Smoz created a "hack" that enables you to change the way HOT/COLD streaks are handled differently from the original game. I'm not sure everyone is aware that the original game had hot/cold streaks that were displayed inaccurately (the in game ratings, pre-game ratings & Ron Barr comments were always 100% inaccurate), but they were, and that's why back in 2010, Smoz created a program to offer different options.

I'm also thinking not everyone is aware of Smoz's hacks and that's why there is/was limited response to this thread.

They offer 5 different versions Smoz offers in his hack to handle the way Hot/Cold streaks can be used. I just think once people realize there are 5 options that as a league, one of them should be decided which is used, it becomes more clear to those reading your post.

All excellent points by you, btw. I prefer the "Classic" version for this league, except the ratings are either accurately displayed or not displayed at all. To inaccurately display them as in the original to me is just stupid.

Edited by Brutus

I'm confused.

They way I see it, there are 4 options in terms the whole hot/cold/average thing with players:

1) Player skills/values change from game to game, you can see their true values/numbers when editing lines and players may perform differently on the ice from game to game. Ex. players will be avg, better than avg or worse than avg. Their rating when viewing attributes (in line editing screen) reflects it.

2) Player skills/values change from game to game, their true values/numbers may or may not reflect their true value. Players may perform differently on the ice from game to game. Ex. players will be avg, better than avg or worse than avg. Their rating when viewing attributes (in line editing screen) may or may not reflect it.

3) Player skills/values do not change from game to game, but it appears that they do (based on their rating (in line editing screen). There is no difference on the ice in player performance from game to game. Players will be average every single game.

4) Player skills/values do not change from game to game, and in line editing screen their ratings/attributes are the same every game. There is no difference on the ice in player performance from game to game. Players will be average every single game.

Is this basically the gist of it? Someone please explain further because if what I described above isn't correct then I'm unclear. I've read the hot/cold thread and was still fuzzy about it.

Which option do the majority of people want in GDL this year (1,2,3,4)?

Should we put it up for vote (and restrict the vote to only those playing GDL)?

I'm confused.

They way I see it, there are 4 options in terms the whole hot/cold/average thing with players:

1) Player skills/values change from game to game, you can see their true values/numbers when editing lines and players may perform differently on the ice from game to game. Ex. players will be avg, better than avg or worse than avg. Their rating when viewing attributes (in line editing screen) reflects it.

2) Player skills/values change from game to game, their true values/numbers may or may not reflect their true value. Players may perform differently on the ice from game to game. Ex. players will be avg, better than avg or worse than avg. Their rating when viewing attributes (in line editing screen) may or may not reflect it.

3) Player skills/values do not change from game to game, but it appears that they do (based on their rating (in line editing screen). There is no difference on the ice in player performance from game to game. Players will be average every single game.

4) Player skills/values do not change from game to game, and in line editing screen their ratings/attributes are the same every game. There is no difference on the ice in player performance from game to game. Players will be average every single game.

Is this basically the gist of it? Someone please explain further because if what I described above isn't correct then I'm unclear. I've read the hot/cold thread and was still fuzzy about it.

Which option do the majority of people want in GDL this year (1,2,3,4)?

Should we put it up for vote (and restrict the vote to only those playing GDL)?

From the smozrom you have 5 alternatives to the case.

#1 Classic option, this is how it's in nhl94.bin. All players have a separated hot/cold for each attribute in the game. Values shown in team roster/edit lines are fake.

#2 Option where hot/cold is removed and players are always the same with base values like 0=25, 1= 32, 2=43, 3=54, 4=72, 5=90, 6=99. They never change and are static.

#3 This option is used in Blitz. It's generally like option #1. Each attribute gets a hot/cold in the game, but values in team roster/edit lines are always static base values like in #2, masking the true values.

#4 This option in game has hot/cold for each attribute, like in #1 & #3. This time values shown in edit lines/team roster _match_ the ones in the game.

#5 This option gives a skill of 4 a hot/cold and same for and so on5. So example some games you have your player with a skill of 4 in speed,agility,shotpower,,accuracy,stickhandling,passing he could some games be 80 in all those skills, or some games be 63 in all those skills. I played 4 exis yesterday with Kamensky where he was 63-66 skilled for his 4 valued attributes in all of those games. He was essentially Clark, who is valued to something like a 7th rounder instead of a 3rd rounder. The other options are more true to players adp rating more often than not.

For some reason fix #5 was installed to GDL without any notice to the "public". Had always thought that it was original and default like in #1.

I'm all up for a vote.

So in short. Options #1, #3, #4 are all the same in game. Each value has it's own hot/cold.

Option #2 no changes, static player skills.

Option #5 hot/cold for each skill rating of 0,1,2,3,4,5,6.

Attribute range for each skill rating when giving them hot/cold.
0=25
1=34 +/- 9
2=43 +/- 9
3=54 +/- 9
4=72 +/- 9 (never seen 4 as 81 though, 80 many times. But like Kamensky was 63-66 4 games a row it can make your 3rd rounder a 6/7 rounder for multiple games in a row in option #5)
5=90 +/- 9
6=99
I thought you were aware of this as changing your lines so often started to make sense after this thread popped up. I had not understood the hot/cold case.
I'm making examples of using Muller here.
Option #1 (Classic option)
Value in game:
wgt 9
agi 4 = 80
spd 4 = 75
oaw 4 = 65
daw 4 = 63
shp 4 = 72
chk 4 = 67
sth 4 = 70
sha 4 = 72
end 4 = 80
rgh 1 = 40
pas 4 = 75
agr 3 = 63
Value in menu:
wgt 9
agi 4 = 69
spd 4 = 77
oaw 4 = 72
daw 4 = 80
shp 4 = 78
chk 4 = 65
sth 4 = 68
sha 4 = 65
end 4 = 74
rgh 1 = 33
pas 4 = 80
agr 3 = 55
Option #2 (No hot/cold at all)
Value in Game & Menu:
wgt 9
agi 4 = 72
spd 4 = 72
oaw 4 = 72
daw 4 = 72
shp 4 = 72
chk 4 = 72
sth 4 = 72
sha 4 = 72
end 4 = 72
rgh 1 = 34
pas 4 = 72
agr 3 = 54
Option #3 (Similar to classic, just different mask on menu values)
Value in game:
wgt 9
agi 4 = 80
spd 4 = 75
oaw 4 = 65
daw 4 = 63
shp 4 = 72
chk 4 = 67
sth 4 = 70
sha 4 = 72
end 4 = 80
rgh 1 = 40
pas 4 = 75
agr 3 = 63
Value in menu:
wgt 9
agi 4 = 72
spd 4 = 72
oaw 4 = 72
daw 4 = 72
shp 4 = 72
chk 4 = 72
sth 4 = 72
sha 4 = 72
end 4 = 72
rgh 1 = 34
pas 4 = 72
agr 3 = 54
Option #4 (The true fix to classic, so the skills match in game & menu)
Values in game & menu:
wgt 9
agi 4 = 80
spd 4 = 75
oaw 4 = 65
daw 4 = 63
shp 4 = 72
chk 4 = 67
sth 4 = 70
sha 4 = 72
end 4 = 80
rgh 1 = 40
pas 4 = 75
agr 3 = 63
Option #5 (I don't even know what to call this)
Value in game & menu:
wgt 9
agi 4 = 63
spd 4 = 63
oaw 4 = 63
daw 4 = 63
shp 4 = 63
chk 4 = 63
sth 4 = 63
sha 4 = 63
end 4 = 63
rgh 1 = 40
pas 4 = 63
agr 3 = 60
or
wgt 9
agi 4 = 80
spd 4 = 80
oaw 4 = 80
daw 4 = 80
shp 4 = 80
chk 4 = 80
sth 4 = 80
sha 4 = 80
end 4 = 80
rgh 1 = 40
pas 4 = 80
agr 3 = 63
I hope this clarifies it. I seem to notice that your player especially when visiting seems to get more cold than hot. It can happen many games a row. Do you want your whole player to be completely crap then and not reflect draft status at all? That's what's going on here. Having a separate hot/cold for each attribute minimizes the effects of this and your player even when visiting will reflect more of the player you drafted than something what you could've gotten way later. But when the player gets hot, oh boy it's a joy. Too much of a difference here anyways from game to game.
Edited by Depch

#4 seems best since it is an option. Why not use it if it's accurate? I understand some people may be babies and desynch purposely, but that would be pretty childish for a grown ass man to do while playing video games.

#5 is surely the worst!

Nice job Depsch!

2>3>1>4>5

It's not +1/-1. It's between +0.4 and -0.4. Because internally, the base ratings are multiplied by 5, then a number from -2 to -2 is added. So if your base skill is 4 (like muller), it becomes 4*5 = 20, then plus the bonus, so 18-22. Which, if you convert back to the 0-6 rating, is 3.6-4.4.

I

#1 I think default is ok, even though the info is not shown correctly, it's just to mask separated hot/cold for each attribute on each player.

#2 For me this is the best option. As it is to reduce the luck factor in games, but for hardcore console gamers this might be too revolutionary and people might resist, totally understand it. And it might be too drastic for a 6 step player skill evaluation. Huge difference 3=54, 4=72, 5=90!!

#3 This is like #1 in Classic, just that the player skills are shown as unchanged default skills instead of a fake hot/cold.

#4 This is very nice as well. It will allow you to view skills in edit lines and make line changes accordingly. It gives each unique skill on each player a hot or cold.

#5 This is the worst option in my mind. Some games you might end up with a super Gartner of 98 speed,agility,shotpower,stickhandling and so on and at the same time if you get really unlucky you might be playing against that as a Muller of 63 speed,agi,shotpower,accuracy,stickhandling,passing. Even #4 is better than this, because it will reduce the chances of a bad luck, it's really unlikely all your skills would be 63 with that option with Muller. I'll give another example of this vice verse. Muller could be some games 80 speed, agi, shotpower, accuracy, stickhandling,passing so on and Gartner ends up shitting up as 81 speed,agi,shotpower,stickhandling. =)

So in my mind, GDL has the worst option for the fix currently. Please give your opinions and especially some oldschoolers of GDL could participate to take heed, is option #5 too legacy to be ever changed for GDL?

I didn't explain them well.

#1: In the classic game, players are hot or cold equally on all their attributes. So if a player is hot, he's hot on all this attributes. But Edit Lines shows his values all over the place.

#2: No bonuses. I forget if the Edit Lines ratings are correct or not. They are probably correct, so always 54, 72, 90, etc.

#3: This is classic, but Edit Lines always shows their base ratings rather than randomized (Muller has a bunch of 72s.. even though he may be hot or cold). Players will be hot or cold (if player is hot, he has bonuses to all attributes.. cold, minus. luke warm, base values).

#4: This is NOT like classic. Players will be hot or cold on each attribute separately. He may be extra fast, but have a terrible shot. Or extra fast, but bad agility (Randy Wood mode). This never happens in the Classic ROM. What I did for this one, is I took the random nonsense Edit Lines ratings and used those for the player ratings. It feels weird to play like this.

#5: This is Classic, but the Edit Lines are correct.

I listed them basically in the order I recommend.

#1: Classic (not recommended, but it's the obvious first choice because it's the default)

#2: This is e-sports mode. Predictable.

#3: Classic, but without the confusion of the random edit lines. Guys are hot or cold like normal, but Edit Lines always shows 54, 72, 90, etc

#4: This is whacky mode. Skills are all over the place. I recommend this over #5 because players will on the average be.. average.. (hot skating + cold shot...)

#5: I don't recommend this mode. This is classic, with accurate Edit Lines. It could be prone to people disconnecting when they see that their star player is cold.

So use #2 or #3, unless #4 sounds cool.