NHL'94 Forums

best way to calculate team ratings?

when i made my own roms with international teams, i didn't change the team ratings from the original settings, 'cos i dumb :grimace:

but now i smart now, and seeing where everything is regarding the teams .....

so now i really only have two problems to solve ..... first one is how to generate those team ratings, according to the player stats!

what i was thinking is this ..... just adding the combined stats for several player stats .....

for example

SHOOTING could be offensive awareness + shot power + shot accuracy

then sort the totals out and have each set of 24 teams out of the 240 teams i have, into their team ranking values!

just to see what ones would be the best?

also the values at @9BD5A ..... those for off/def, PP/PK, home/away are the same as in nhl94, as in this post

http://forum.nhl94.com/index.php/topic/8757-how-to-edit-power-play-and-home-ice-advantages-gens-and-snes/?p=79699

and something else that's just popped into my swollen head ..... wonder how they didn't use the full decimal values (0-9) for those?

something to mull over perhaps .....

while this does nothing to address your queries, it does relate to the stated topic: for the last few iterations of my seemingly-never-ending game project, I have been using team point percentage statistics to make overall team ratings.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/teamstats.htm?fetchKey=20152ALLSAAAll&sort=pointPctg&viewName=summary

with the highest being 0.772 and the lowest being 0.330 right now, I might say Nashville is a 77 and Buffalo is a 33. or I may add, oh, say... 18 points to each, so the spread of "talent" ranges a bit higher than the original game. in that case, Nashville is a big 95 and Buffalo is less-pathetic-looking 51 in the menu/intro screens. I haven't been straying too far from this general method. I felt like sharing.

with Chicago at 78 and Anaheim at 51 in NHL '94, many might think that's what they did to get ratings, using regular-season statistics from 1992-1993, but the range was actually very large that season, with Pittsburgh at 0.701 and San Jose and Ottawa at 0.143. does anybody know how the original overall team ratings were generated?

does anybody know how the original overall team ratings were generated?

They had just some guy who would make up ratings. Probably just subjective.

For the Blitz league ROMs, I would take the ratings of the players on the team and add/average them together, but weighting the best players at each position as worth more (since they should get more ice time and be more important to the team.. so maybe a team with good depth wouldn't be rated quite as high as a team with 2 good lines but a terrible 3rd line, for example..)

IE, average the top 3 lines separately, then do something like (line1*3 + line2*2 + line3*1)/6. Put the starting goalie on each line. Maybe do something to scale up the rating, like what tru did by adding a value, or multiply by 1.25 or something like that.

got all my international team stats done accordingly .....

SHOOTING - "ofa"+"shp"+"sha" - sorted by TOTAL then team total - 0 to 9

SKATING - "agl"+"spd"+"end" - sorted by TOTAL then team total - 0 to 9

PASSING - "sth"+"pas" - sorted by TOTAL then team total - 0 to 9

DEFENSE - "dfa" - sorted by "dfa" then team total - 0 to 9

CHECKING - "spd"+""chk"+"rgh" - sorted by TOTAL then team total - 0 to 9

FIGHTING - "h/f"+"rgh"+"agr" - sorted by TOTAL then team total - 0 to 9

GOALKEEPING - "ovr" for goalkeeper - sorted by "ovr" then team total - 0 to 9

OVERALL - all player's "ovr" divided by 16 (the number of players in my teams) - sorted by team total - 0 to 9

POWER PLAY ADV and HOME TEAM ADV might be calculated ingame, since they would be different for each game i believe, don't know how though

OFFENCE - "ofa" - sorted by "ofa" then team total - 0 to 7

DEFENSE - "dfa" - sorted by "dfa" then team total - 0 to 7

HOME - all player's "ovr" divided by 16 (the number of players in my teams) - sorted by "ovr" then team total - 0 to 2

AWAY - HOME-1 (if 0 then it would be 0) - 0 to 2

POWER PLAY - total "ovr" of players on power play lines - 0 2

POWER KILL - total "ovr" of players on power kill lines - 0 2

so for example the team stats would be (on the ron barr screen)

AFGHANISTAN 4-5-5-4-5-4-9-4

ALASKA 1-1-0-1-0-2-3-1

ALBANIA 5-7-7-8-8-9-6-7

ALGERIA - 8-6-7-9-7-7-8-7

AMERICAN SAMOA 2-0-2-2-2-0-8-1

Edited by jenzie