NHL'94 Forums

NHL '92 Team Rankings

CoachMac

NHL '92 TEAM Stats

(based on results from Deadmeow (1991-2013) and CoachMac (2015) Leagues.)

All of these leagues used the default Line 1 except for Deadmeow's 2006 and 2013 league which allowed players to edit lines in NOSE.

TIER 1 TEAMS W—L—T Win% Stanley Cup Final Appearances

#1 Pittsburgh 129-42-2 .751 6 (5-1)

TIER 2 TEAMS

#2 Boston 81-37-3 .682 1 (1-0)

#3 NY Rangers 99-56-1 .638 2 (0-2)

TIER 3 TEAMS

#4 Edmonton 91-72-2 .558 2 (0-2)

#5 Los Angeles 56-45-1 .554 0

#6 Washington 53-45-1 .540 0

#7 Chicago 87-78-8 .526 1 (0-1)

#8 Calgary 67-67-5 .500 2 (1-1)

#9 St. Louis 55-55-1 .500 0

TIER 4 TEAMS

#10 Winnipeg 26-27-3 .491 0

#11 Toronto 65-68-4 .489 1 (0-1)

#12 San Jose 18-22-4 .455 0

#13 NY Islanders 17-27-2 .391 0

#14 Buffalo 21-38-4 .365 0

#15 Vancouver 15-28-0 .349 0

#16 Minnesota 49-94-2 .345 0

#17 Detroit 35-73-6 .333 0

#18 Hartford 31-63-2 .333 0

#19 Montreal 23-51-2 .316 0

#20 Philadelphia 16-50-1 .246 0

NO DATA

New Jersey 0-0-0 .000 0

Quebec 0-0-0 .000 0

NHL '92 Team Ratings

(Line 1 skaters and starting goalie/6)

(* denotes teams back up goalie has a better rating than the starter)

((2) denotes Line 2 skaters and starting goalie/6)

TIER 1 TEAMS

#1 Los Angeles 79

#2 Chicago 78

#3 Pittsburgh 75

#4 Boston 74

#5 Calgary 73*

#6 St. Louis 70*

TIER 2 TEAMS

#7 NY Rangers 69 Los Angeles (2) 65

#8 Montreal 67 Montreal (2) 64

#9 Edmonton 64* Pittsburgh (2) 62

TIER 3 TEAMS

#10 Philadelphia 58 Chicago (2) 59

#10 Buffalo 58* Edmonton (2) 59*

#12Washington 57 Boston (2) 57

#13 Minnesota 56 Calgary (2) 57*

#14 Winnipeg 55 Buffalo (2) 57*

#14 Hartford 55* NY Rangers (2) 56

#16 New Jersey 54 Minnesota (2) 56

#17 NY Islanders 51 St. Louis (2) 55*

#18 Detroit 50* New Jersey (2) 52

Washington (2) 50

TIER 4 TEAMS

#19 Toronto 49 Philadelphia (2) 46

#20 Vancouver 46 Winnipeg (2) 46

#21 Quebec 41 Detroit (2) 44*

Toronto (2) 41

Hartford (2) 41*

TIER 5 TEAMS

#22 San Jose 37 Vancouver (2) 35

NY Islanders (2) 34

Quebec (2) 34

San Jose (2) 31

CoachMac Poll

(these ratings are based on my experience playing in the 2013 and 2015 leagues against human opponents and playing and controlling every team in my Empty Net season)

TIER 1 (In a league of their own)

#1 Pittsburgh-- The Penguins are in a league of their own. No other team can touch them. Mario is the most skilled player (94) plus he is BIG. Tough to knock off the puck and good on D. Recchi is a quick darter on Mario's right with a good shot, Stevens is a bruiser on his left who is tough to stop going to the net. Coffey is the best d-man in the game next to Bourque with great speed and unlike the real Coffey he is physical. Larry Murphy is solid on D as well. Barasso is big and performs well in net living up to his 70 rating.

Even the Pens second line is better than almost every other team.

TIER 2 (These teams have an outside shot against the Pens)

#2 Boston-- The Bruins are the closest thing to the Pens. Neely and Bourque are both beast and near or at the top of the league in skill. Andy Moog is a highly rated goalie. Dave Christian is a liability at LW if you could edit lines you would get him out, but part of the beauty of 92 is you can't so deal with him, he helped win the USA the gold in 1980.

#3 Chicago-- Deadmeow will disagree with me here, but I like the Hawks. I did ok with them in his league and they were great in my control in empty net. Roenick is fast but not as skilled as he is in 93 and 94. Thomas and Larmer are serviceable on the wings, but the d-pairing is amazing. Doug Wilson is one of my favorite players in this game. Chelios is his partner. You gotta get the D involved to score with the Hawks. Belfour is ok but sure does not seem like he is rated 93.

#4 Los Angeles-- Gretzky (92) and Sandstrom (91) are the second and third highest rated players in the game. Luc Robitalle got the shaft in this game. He should be better. The big problem for the Kings is they lack size and need to win games by outscoring the opponent. Again if you could edit lines and bring in Larry Robinson or Marty McSorley to pair with Duchesne (who is good) they could challenge the Pens.

#5 Edmonton-- My team. I have used them the most and they are a fun good team to play with. Messier is fast and physical. He plays great d and has a nice deke. He lacks a good shot most of the time but you can tell when he has a hot shot and you should win the games when he does. Tikkanen is solid on the left wing and Joe Murphy gives you a good shot on the right though not much else. I wish I could sub in Anderson or Klima. The Oilers have a great bench/line 2 of forwards. The Oilers D is one of the best. Huddy and Smith are both beast and they can both provide more offense than their ratings indicate. Ranford starts in goal, but Fuhr is rated higher. I still like Ranford better for some reason. Nothing in the ratings would indicate he is better. Next season I am going with and sticking with Fuhr.

#6 NY Rangers-- Great offensive team. Bernie Nicholls is slow with a great shot: Mike Gartner is fast with a great shot. The Rangers are slightly undersized. Super fast and talented D Leetch and Patrick. Richter is a good goalie. And then there is John Ogrodnick my favorite player in the game to play against. Craig Janney, Cliff Ronning, and John Ogrodnick are the only starting line 1 players in the game with zero fighting/aggression rating. These are not separated in 92 so it is just one rating. Anyway Janney and Ronning never seem to fight but ol' John is always willing to drop the gloves if you cheap shot him after the whistle in spite of his zero rating and you can drop him with one punch every time.

#7 St. Louis-- Hull and Oates up front. Stevens and Brown on D. Good team. Reindeau starts in net Cujo is rated higher.

#8 Calgary—Lots of speed,skill, and depth, but no size. Very similar team to the Kings. Mike Vernon (50) gets no love in this game. Wamsley is a rated higher at 57.

TIER 3 (Competitive teams)

#9 Buffalo-- I like this team. Krupp is one of the biggest players in the game and Andreychuk is big and tough to knock off the puck. Hawerchuk seems to have more skill than his 68 rating.

#10 Montreal—small, small, small. Tough to win against a human with. Roy gets barraged and would probably demand a trade to Colorado if he could.

#11 Toronto—suprising team especially if deadmeow is coaching them. I did ok with them in empty net. Nothing really stands out but they play above their ratings especially Peter Ing and Mike Krushelnyski.

#12 Washington--- If you could edit lines and bring in Al Iafrate this team would shoot up the rankings.

In deadmeows 2014 league I thought he was the MVP completely unstoppable.

#13 Hartford—Can do some damage at times Zarley Zalapski is the man for this team. Fun team too as they like to scrap.

#14 Minnesota—Great unis and emblem. I miss it. Love to play with them just for that. The team is very vanilla.

TIER 4 (One horse wagons)

#15 Detroit-- Steve Yzerman. That is it. I wish Bob Probert was on Line 1. Probert, Rob Ray, Mike Peluso, Gino Odjick, Craig Berube, and #17 for San Jose are the only guys rated 100 in fighting/aggression. None of them are on line 1.

#16 New Jersey--- More great unis that I miss. Feed John Maclean.

#17 NY Islanders-- You will go as far as Pat LaFontaine will carry you and he is little. I did OK against the CPU with them. I think it would be tough to win against a human.

#18 Philadelphia-- Rick Tocchet. Fun to use fights and scores. Hextall is decent in net.

TIER 5 (Weak teams)

#19 Winnipeg-- Housley got shafted.

#20 Vancouver—SLOW. Geoff Courtnall 66 speed?

TIER 6 (Horrid!)

#21 Quebec—Sakic almost moves them to a one horse wagon.

#22 San Jose-- All the players are fake. They stink.

Deadmeow's Poll

(Deadmeow is the godfather of NHL '92)

This is his subjective poll.

TOP 8 POWER TEAMS
MID RANGE 4 TEAMS
LOWER 10 BAD TEAMS

The Power 8 are divided into 2, based on toughness, each team scores well.

MID RANGE TEAMS can make upsets happen, no real title chance

BAD TEAMS are fun to use if you don't mind losing

TOP 8 POWER TEAMS
--------
TOP ELITE
#01 PITT (high toughness and scoring)
#02 BOST (high toughness and scoring)
~03 EDM (high toughness and scoring)
~04 NYR (can play tough, and score)
--------
VERY GOOD
~05 LA (good team with short history, good scoring, medium toughness)
~06 CHIC (speed and shooting, although not tough)
~07 CALG (improves much with edited lines, decent scoring, medium toughness)
#08 STL (Can win with the right person, not tough)
--------

MID RANGE TEAMS
--------
#09 WASH (consistent winners, but will never get to finals)
#10 MONT (paper tigers)
#11 MINN (not a bad team, but will never win a cup)
~12 HART (HART jumps up to a mid range with edited lines)
--------

BAD TEAMS
---------
#13 WPG (can beat bad teams)
#14 BUF (can beat bad teams)
~15 TOR (can beat bad teams)
~16 DET (can score against low toughness teams)
--------
worse teams
#17 VAN (slow, you wil die from boredom)
~18 NYI
~19 NJ
~20 PHI
#21 SJ (slow but agile, can only hit the post at close range)
#22 QUE (super slow, team has some shooting ability if they can get near net)
-------
# = solid ranking
~ = approxmiate ranking, could flip flop

toughness = checking, resistance to getting checked

Final Consensus Poll and Tiers

W R M D Overall

TIER 1

#1 Pittsburgh 1 3 1 1 6

TIER 2

#2 Boston 2 4 2 2 10

#3 Los Angeles 5 1 4 5 15

#4 Chicago 7 2 3 6 18

#5 NY Rangers 3 7 6 4 20

#6 Edmonton 4 9 5 3 21

#7 Calgary 8 5 8 7 28

#8 St. Louis 9 6 7 8 30

TIER 3

#9 Washington 6 12 12 9 39

#10 Montreal 19 8 10 10 47

#10 Buffalo 14 10 9 14 47

#12 Minnesota 16 13 14 11 54

#13 Winnipeg 10 14 19 13 56

#13 Toronto 11 19 11 15 56

#15 Hartford 18 14 15 12 59

TIER 4

#16 NY Islanders 13 17 17 18 65

#17 Detroit 17 18 15 16 66

#18 Philadelphia 20 10 18 20 68

#19 New Jersey NA 16 16 19 71

#20 Vancouver 15 19 20 17 73

#21 San Jose 12 22 22 21 77

#22 Quebec NA 21 21 22 86

This is an attempt to do a rating page for the teams in NHL Hockey (92) similar to what KingRaph did for the NHL '94 teams. I also tried to do some commentary like building lines with AJ. And provide some insight as to how they came up with the ratings and the game in general.

The game is/was only available on the Genesis.

The weight bug does not exist.

The Sharks are purely fictional players.

No player names just numbers but my web-site provides names and player cards for each team. http://www.nhl92.com/

No one-timers and no goalie control.

You can not edit your lines.

You may change your goalie.

Fighting is rampant. Including after the whistle, period and game.

I used 4 different polls to come up with my final consensus poll.

#1 Results from Deadmeows League's dating back to 1991 and the league we just finished in 2015.

#2 Using the Player ratings from the game.

#3 A subjective poll by me (CoachMac) based on my experience with the teams.

#4 A subjective poll by Deadmeow (the godfather of '92)

Some notes about the player ratings:

NHL Hockey uses a 0-15 scale like 93 not the 0-6 scale of 94.

The players are generally one or 2 clicks lighter than they were in 94.

Gretzky weighs 148 instead of 172 as an example but most are just one or 2 clicks lighter.

Agility, Speed, Shot Power, Checking and Stick handling are randomly assigned and are very loosely based on reality. Some are crazy. Cam Neely 100 speed. Geoff Courtnall 66 speed.

The 7 best teams (Kings, Flames, Blackhawks, Blues, Penguins, Bruins, and Canadiens) in 1991 plus the NorthStars are rated 100,80,60,40,20 in these attributes.

The next 7 teams (Oilers, Rangers, Sabres, Whalers, Devils, Flyers, and Capitals) are rated 100, 93,73,53,33, 13 in these attributes.

The bottom 6 teams are rated 86,66,46,26,6 in these attributes. The red Wings and Sharks have a mix of these ratings for some reason.

So as an example a guy who was rated 4 in skating in '94 could be an 80, 73, or 66 in '92 based on how good his team was.

OFFENSIVE AWARENESS

PPG determined both forwards and defensemen offensive awareness rating. The 5 guys who scored >1.45 ppg were rated 100. 1.31-1.44 ppg = 93 and so forth.

DEFENSIVE AWARENESS

Plus/Minus determined a players defensive awareness.

SHOT ACCURACY

A players shooting % determined shot accuracy. This carried over to 93 and 94.

ENDURANCE

100, 66, or 33. That is it most were 66.

ROUGHNESS/SHOT BIAS

This was based on the number of shots a player took. I believe in 93 and 94 it changed to goal to assist ratio.

PASS ACCURACY

This was determined by assist, but Forwards and d-men had different standards.

FORWARDS > 1.48 per game = 100 (Oates and Gretz only)

Defense > 0.90 per game = 100 ( 4 guys)

Forwards then dropped off to 80 for 0.77 to 0.86. No one rated 93 or 86.

Defensemen got a 93 for 0.51-0.65.

FIGHTING/AGGRESSION

Was just one rating and based on PIM. So some guys like Fleury who took lots of PIM's but didn't fight will fight in this game. 6 guys got a 100. Probert, Ray, Berube, Odjick, Peluso, and a fictional Shark.

Goalie Rating are a complete mystery to me.

Belfour is #1 at 93 and Roy is #2 overall at 90.

I need to look into this more and why some lower rated goalies like Peter Ing seem to perform better than higher rated guys.

Edited by CoachMac
  • Thanks 1

Nice job!

One thing I would like to see/do is to re-calculate the player ratings with weight being heavily (pun intended) valued, followed by speed and maybe shot accuracy and power. From the little I've played, I think weight is by far the most important attribute because otherwise you have absolutely no ability to defend. There's no goalie control and no b-check/trip. Much like NHLPA'93 with penalties turned off.

I'd probably value weight x 6, Spd x 3, ShA x2, Shp x1. The rest doesn't matter (x1 or less).

Once you recalculate the player ratings (normalize to best player being at 100), I would also weigh the team rankings a bit by position because there are no line changes. So, C is the best, followed by LW and then RW on the forwards. For example, Gartner is the best F for the NYR (I would guess after the new ratings described above), but he starts at RW and is almost never in the game because of penalties. So that hurts the team, vs having him at C.

Maybe C x3, LW x2, RW x1. Something like that. Ideally you'd want to keep your star player at C.

Then, I'd see where the team rankings fall out...that'd be my rating based on the season I just played. I think it's more representative of team strength given the parameters you have to play in the game. Maybe I'll put this together and report in the future.

Very good info. All this information would make a new person looking to pick a team go crazy, haha. Good job!

No line edits w/ penalties taking out your best player....that's rough!

I forgot about that. Can't remember if Hull was RW on that '92 team or not either.

Great post here though. It's got me regretting not playing that league now :(

• 2 years later...

I spent some time as well to measure out their ratings vs other teams.

The W-L-T record just means if they had more check marks than their opponent. 

Pts Diff....is the overall difference of checkmarks for vs against.

http://challonge.com/r9vmam2p/standings

41 minutes ago, CoachMac said:

Where were you Halifax, back in the day of my 92 and 93 Leagues?

I refused to play 94 right up until KO94-1 in Toronto, because of no fighting.

Oh all that wasted time.:unhappy:

haha..how long ago was that? I saw one on here from a couple years ago.

3 hours ago, halifax said:

haha..how long ago was that? I saw one on here from a couple years ago.

We did 3 seasons.

LABS won Season 1(with the Penguins, so that gets an asterisk):haha:
AngryJay won Season 2
FPB won season 3

We had some real talent in those leagues.
KingRaph
Brutus
Jer
Skeletor
Deadmeow

Edited by CoachMac