NHL'94 Forums

What do you want to ask Mark Lesser?

....Why are there fight rating for players but no fighting?...

are you referring to the myth based on the fact that the Genesis editor mislabled the pass/shoot bias?

are you referring to the myth based on the fact that the Genesis editor mislabled the pass/shoot bias?

No, that was 'roughness'

The fighting rating is in there, a value from 0-F that also doubles as the handedness of the player (odd or even corresponds to righty or lefty, or was it the other way around).

My questions I would ask (some copied from other people's posts, to encourage asking that question because I want the answers! :) ):

Movie-friendly questions:

1. (Everyone asks...) Did you guys know about the weight bug? (Probably not, since it was in '93, or maybe it was intentional for some reason?). Would the reason it went unfixed be simply that the programmers weren't too familiar with hockey and didn't know the players' reputations for checking?

2. Was there a particular feature that gave you guys lots of trouble to implement? Or a bug that was hard to squash?

3. Do you know why they made a completely different/separate game for SNES '94?

4. (Stolen from Raph) Why the complete re-write for '95? Why not just add seasons to the existing '94 engine?

5. (Stolen from jer_33) Any great programming or gameplay-testing stories?

6. (Stolen from Depch) Does the crowd volume actually affect gameplay? Do the home team players get better if the crowd is louder?

Technical questions:

1. (Stolen from Depch) Can you tell us a bit about how the following attributes affect player AI behaviour? Offensive Awareness, Defensive Awareness, Aggression.

2. While I assume you can't give us the source code if you even have it... could you maybe possibly please please please give us some documentation for data structures and variables, if you have it or could easily compile/transcribe it? For example, I know each player has 128 bytes dedicated to him, for things like his north/south speed, east/west speed, agility rating, weight, and so on. But there are a lot of other things in there that are not easy to figure out but that would be so great to understand. In particular, bit fields are hard to figure out.

3. (Stolen from NHL94PC) Tips on the music format would be appreciated.

4. (Stolen from Raph) Insights into how the AI works?

5. Any insights into how the referees call penalties? So we could change their behaviour to call certain penalties more or less often.

Please extend my and everyone's thanks to Mark for talking with you/Mikey about the game!

Yes, 1000% I did, and didn't expect the irony to get past you either.

Troll away brother. I'm stuck at work w/ time to burn.

I had to laugh when I was reading guys asking about the Gens bugs, especially weight, cause I knew some kind of post had to be coming from the land of tru.

Thanks for all the questions guys. Mikey interviewed him yesterday and hopefully he was able to ask some of these.

my question was serious. my points usually are. granted, I was mistaken, but these things happen. your posts have been trolling and useless. you are the one wasting time and engaging in stupidity.

Mikey, I hope you remembered to THANK him for helping to create something so cherished.

Minus the children/teen posts on ea hockey forum, you are easily the biggest troll/bunghole I've ever come across on any forum, so stop acting suddenly like you are something other than that.

I'm allowed like 800 dumb post before I even approach your stupidity. Sometimes I'll find myself searching through an old thread trying to find something out & I'll be stunned just for how many years you've been trolling.

yeah, as much as everybody is excited for your finished work, this community could really benefit from any technical stuff, so... if you can drop any real knowledge on us, that'd be sweet. oh, and I'm the worst person in the history of the Internet.

Edited by tru

Mr. McMikey. I can't wait for your, I'm sure will be, fantastic documentary. But since it will probably not involve too many technical programming details, could you at least, let us know if you got any helpful game modification information?

• 2 weeks later...