NHL'94 Forums

NHL Trade Talk

hokkeefan

NO!

We FINALLY have centres in the team/system (Kadri and Nylander), why would we trade Kessel NOW??

Queue headlines 5 years from now "The Leafs need a winger to play with Nylander, or they will never win the Cup, just like the Sundin years"

Stupid all the crap i hear out of toronto about wanting to move kessel.

Clarkson phaneuf conrracts are freakin ridiculous

As a Flames fan, I absolutely hated the Phaneuf trade when it happened. I wouldn't have expected the Leafs fans to hate it so much.

Well realistically Kessel will never be traded from Toronto cause no one in there right mind would pay TEN MILLION A SEASON on a heartless ,gutless,pathetic piece of s**t like Kessel.

He is a spoiled little brat and if Toronto was smart they would dump Kessel , Phagoof and Clarkson for the highest draft picks they can and start over and save 20 MILLION DOLLARS!!!!!!

Edited by hokkeefan

Phaneuf's fine.. Clarkson is such an anchor.. we got rid of Grabovski for him?? :((((

For 7 more years at 7m per????? He's miscast as a top pairing dman at this stage. More a 3/4 and then 5/6 in 2-3 yrs

Well realistically Kessel will never be traded from Toronto cause no one in there right mind would pay TEN MILLION A SEASON on a heartless ,gutless,pathetic piece of s**t like Kessel.

He is a spoiled little brat and if Toronto was smart they would dump Kessel , Phagoof and Clarkson for the highest draft picks they can and start over and save 20 MILLION DOLLARS!!!!!!

Yeah who would dedicate 8M cap space to the 4th-highest goal scorer over the past 5 years, who wasn't playing with Nicklas Backstrom, Ryan Getzlaf, or Martin St. Louis? Are you just regurgitating all the typical insults people use against the Sedins?

For 7 more years at 7m per????? He's miscast as a top pairing dman at this stage. More a 3/4 and then 5/6 in 2-3 yrs

Oh god there are SEVEN more years?? :(

He's still a steal compared to Clarkson :(

Yeah, I wish we could be as good as those amazing Flyers :rolleyes:

Kessel is a great player, it's funny how everyone comes out of the woodwork to dig at him just because the Leafs are in a big rut. Not everyone has to play a physical game. He's score a s**t load of goals for us since coming here, it's not his fault we still suck. If you call him uncoachable, I guess Gardiner and Franson and Kadri etc are also uncoachable. Randy Carlyle's 1920's philosophy doesn't seem to work in this day and age, not the players' fault. And Horachek seems bleghh so far.

IDK I HATE REAL LIFE HOCKEY THIS WEBSITE SHOULD JUST BE 94 TALK

We need to ask the real question here. Who would the Leafs rather have, Tyler Seguin and Dougie Hamilton, or the uncoachable Phil? Worst trade Brian Burke ever made.

It was a pretty sensible trade at the time. It just turned out really bad. Worst trade, yes (and I think it's easy to pick because most of his trades were decent to jedi-hand-wave-esque-wizardy), but understandable at the time. Sure I'd rather have Sequin and Hamilton and whoever the other guy is, though.

The Leafs finished 7th-last that season before the trade, and surely adding Kessel would make the team a little better. Not a whole lot else changed with the team that offseason, so to see them drop off was not expected. Toskala had posted an atrocious .891 save% and they were just 7th-last. He'd posted .904 the previous year, so surely it was just a blip and he could only rebound from there, right?

Nope. Toskola reached new, unheard of since the early 90s levels of suckitude -- .874. The Leafs still managed 74 pts that next season. The previous season, that would have been the 4th pick, but it ended up being 2nd instead. (But even then, the 4th pick, after Seguin, was Ryan Johansen! I'd rather have him than Seguin).

Sounds like I'm being a Burke apologist, but at the time, it was a fairly sensible trade, with the reasonable expectation that the Leafs would continue their tradition of being an outside bubble team, rather than a complete trainwreck. Bad trade in retrospect, but understandable.

And I miss Burke, he was way better than Nonis. Burke was a bit of a wizard; Nonis hasn't done anything good in the two years he's been GM, other than getting Peter Holland, and maybe a couple trades for 4th round picks for deadweight players.

You make good points, and I agree. At the time it was not bad trade. Didn't Kessel win the Richard that yer or was close? He was the best player on the best eam in the East so getting him for two 1sts was not bad. It just ended up being a bad situation, which was unlucky. This trade was 100x better than signing Clarkson to the ridiculously awful deal. That's been Toronto's word move this decade.

P.S. I know the Flyers are not much better, and may be even worse. I almost cry every time I see what we got for Patrick Sharp.

Didn't Kessel win the Richard that yer or was close?

Nah, Kessel's never even scored 40, but he's been a consistent 30+ guy, and he's actually an excellent passer. He scored 36G in 70GP his last year with the Bruins, when Marc Savard was still playing. He has two 37G years with the Leafs. He's on pace for 30.2 goals this season.

when the Bruins are shopping a young star, you know you are getting a chump with almost no motivation to play and possibly with an addiction to having sex with anybody at the local bar, ring on her finger or not. you get a great player with major lockerroom issues. you get a skilled dude and no shot at the cup. good luck with that.

when the Bruins are shopping a young star, you know you are getting a chump with almost no motivation to play and possibly with an addiction to having sex with anybody at the local bar, ring on her finger or not. you get a great player with major lockerroom issues. you get a skilled dude and no shot at the cup. good luck with that.

nah the two are mutually exclusive. Can't pin no cups on Seguin and Kessel. The latter is obviously due to organizational ineptitude. Trading Seguin obviously was a HUGE mistake for the Bruins.

so much talk about the laffs :eyes_droped:

Kessel is the kinda guy that only thinks about hockey when he PLAYS hockey. Off the ice, he doesn't want to know it. This translates directly to his game. Streaky player. Doesn't mean he isn't great though.

Did the preds just get scarier or what?

Now lets talk about Canada's only hope for our cup...

Can Bergevin pull out a blockbuster? i really hope so...and i really hope with Edmonton.

Both teams can benefit greatly from a hockey deal. Sadly looks like Tinordi hasn't been given a shot in MTL might be on the move...

habs are deep in tradable assets...and no cap space to breath (ag27 still unsigned)

this week is gonna be huge. the biggest deals happen before the deadline..

Toronto is the center of the hockey universe

:haha:

Shaftman who cares if the cup is in Canada or not. I'll never understand that kind of patriotism. Like people who will cheer for freaking disgusting habs just to see the cup be back in Canada, craziness.

Cheer for your own team, and if you wanna watch the lame playoffs and they don't make it then just watch for fun.

Shaftman who cares if the cup is in Canada or not. I'll never understand that kind of patriotism. Like people who will cheer for freaking disgusting habs just to see the cup be back in Canada, craziness.

Cheer for your own team, and if you wanna watch the lame playoffs and they don't make it then just watch for fun.

hahaha i feel your your pain

RofL

<<< born and raised in MTL. Also happens to be Canada's last cup winning team and probable next. 24CH PATRIOTISM NEW FORUM AVATAR just for you coming up!

technically now: WIth so many Canadian players winning it over the years the cup never really left home.

However there is a Canada - U.S.A Rivalry and even more so a Rivalry between Canadian Cities to who will "restore cup glory" for Canada.

wtga

RofL

<<< born and raised in MTL. Also happens to be Canada's last cup winning team and probable next. 24CH PATRIOTISM NEW FORUM AVATAR just for you coming up!

technically now: WIth so many Canadian players winning it over the years the cup never really left home.

However there is a Canada - U.S.A Rivalry and even more so a Rivalry between Canadian Cities to who will "restore cup glory" for Canada.

wtga

Get your stinky shaft back to the snes boards

I wish I could go back to yesterday when I didn't know that the man with the coolest name on the forums is a **** fan

lol