NHL'94 Forums

NHL Trade Talk

hokkeefan

RofL

<<< born and raised in MTL. Also happens to be Canada's last cup winning team and probable next. 24CH PATRIOTISM NEW FORUM AVATAR just for you coming up!

technically now: WIth so many Canadian players winning it over the years the cup never really left home.

However there is a Canada - U.S.A Rivalry and even more so a Rivalry between Canadian Cities to who will "restore cup glory" for Canada.

wtga

is it really 'home' when you're the only country giving it a 'home' title? I mean you dont hear USA, Finland, Sweden, Russia, Czech, Slovakia saying anything complarable to that.

I get it's your countries national sport since you kicked Lacrosse to the curb a few years ago. But cmon, the nationalism, while cool at times, can also be a major arrogant turn off to other countries

The Stanley Cup was originally made to be awarded to Canada's top amateur hockey club, so in that respect it's home is Canada. The original intended name was the Dominion (of Canada) Hockey Challenge Cup.

However, now it's given to millionaire pros, so... So much for it's original intent :P. But did they even have pro teams back in 1892??

The game pretty much started in Canada, too. So when a Canadian team never wins the Canadian trophy in the top league in the world, it kinda sucks.

The Stanley Cup was originally made to be awarded to Canada's top amateur hockey club, so in that respect it's home is Canada. The original intended name was the Dominion (of Canada) Hockey Challenge Cup.

However, now it's given to millionaire pros, so... So much for it's original intent :P. But did they even have pro teams back in 1892??

The game pretty much started in Canada, too. So when a Canadian team never wins the Canadian trophy in the top league in the world, it kinda sucks.

Ya but it's not the Olympics or Canada Cup. The nationalism makes sense there, but in the NHL where teams have a mixture of nationalities, it seems kinda ridonkulous this take. But thats just my opinion

Ya but it's not the Olympics or Canada Cup. The nationalism makes sense there, but in the NHL where teams have a mixture of nationalities, it seems kinda ridonkulous this take. But thats just my opinion

It's a league made up mostly of Canadians, playing a Canadian game, for a Canadian trophy. It would be nice for a Canadian (city) team to win. Seems kinda obvious.

mostly is half the league so I guess. It's a global sport now with half the league non - canadian

anywhoo, just a perspective of a non canadian who gets turned off by the 'ownership' of hockey that some canadians project.

post-1168-0-30116000-1424362388_thumb.pn

Don't forget that most of us here were hockey fans in the 90s when 2/3rds of the players and 1/3rd of the teams were Canadian :).

Dey took our jerbs!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=768h3Tz4Qik

Anyway, I understand the annoyance, similar to the "'World' Series".

I think there is some feeling in England about soccer (association football) that they should perform better in the World Cup, as the game was invented there (that particular variant.. of the many many football games)

Also, we suck at everything that isn't on ice. Forgive us for having a feeling of ownership of the game invented/popularized in our country and a desire to see the biggest trophy in the game (some would say of any team sport period) won by a team here :P. Naw git off our lawn!

• 2 weeks later...

trade deadline thoughts? As a hawks fan i like the Vermette addition. Means don't have to count on Richards as second line center. As for Timminen, if he plays that means Roszival is not so thats great.

The only pick up I really wanted is for the Blues to go after Jagr. It figures he wouldn't want to play in the West though.