NHL'94 Forums

Spring 2015 Classic registration?

c4outlaws

We are still up in the air about this. With the 7,324 Genesis leagues going on right now, I don't think we would have a good enough amount of players to participate in Genesis Classic. I hope we could at least do a SNES Classic league. Stay tuned.

I'm up for spring classic. Pretty much 3 leagues running at the same time is maximum for me. We have to kinda exclude summer from the active NHL94 seasons during june-august. Making active playing season september-may, maybe to early june like the playoffs go IRL as well.

3 Main leagues thus are Classic, GDL and Blitz and they all need to overlap with eachother. If Classic is 2 times a year that (spring/fall). Overall in the future this just requires more planning for the leagues and everyone putting their heads together and maybe have a set dates for upcoming years when a certain league is starting and when the draft is and so on. I think it's the players that have to adapt to that rather than go on the fly, which has been the case for years. :)

Like a pre set dates of like this:

September classic fall signups & team draft. October classic fall begins and give ~1½-2months to finish the regular season, give 2-4 weeks for playoffs.

October GDL signups & draft. League starts november and lasts 2 months for regular season and 2-4 weeks for playoffs. Season done by february.

January Blitz signups & Draft. League starts february and give 2 months for regular season and 2-4 weeks for playoffs. Season done by may.

February/march classic spring signups & team draft. League start by march/april, give it 2 months and 2-4 weeks for playoffs. Season done by june/july.

And july might be stretching it gathering very little interest anymore.

This needs to be planned to make the community improve and become more "professional".

There are multiple of other leagues running as well, so players who don't make all those leagues will have plenty to choose from even with the overlapping seasons.

Just my vision though and the dates were just as an example to give the idea. :)

Edited by Depch

The seasonal idea has been around, but the issue is there is no commissioner for GDL and Blitz. Everything is independently run and that's also okay. It allows for other fun leagues to emerge (Survivor, TDL, 2012/2013, etc). There is no reason to limit to these 3 leagues.

Having said that, it IS smart to consider the what other leagues are happening before starting another league. So coordination is nice.

The summer activity drop is a myth. I ran GDL09 in summer and had the exact same, if not better participation than previous seasons. Someone going away for two weeks is manageable over the course of a few months, especially considering most games are played in first two and the last week of a season. True in all those "major" leagues.

We are still up in the air about this. With the 7,324 Genesis leagues going on right now, I don't think we would have a good enough amount of players to participate in Genesis Classic. I hope we could at least do a SNES Classic league. Stay tuned.

You need to cut the amount of leagues and players down in classic.....wayyy to many.

That is good to know, as I can only speak for myself on my summer activity and what I have noticed in some other games, but that cannot be stated as a fact, good for bringing it up.

I fail to see how the seasonal rotation with specific 'main' leagues would kill off other leagues? There are quite a lot of players and not everyone likes to play all of those leagues, leaving time for the other leagues as well. If something should be set to stone an a set stone rotation that should be classic having it run 2 times a year, or supposedly so.

Things are fine as of now as well, but now we are in a situation where spring classic would be really nice to play but we would be in a situation with 3 leagues overlapping with eachother, afaik it was limited to fall season last year as well, this could occur as a trend. I would still play all 3, just Blitz messing up a bit with the different physics, but hell it's still nhl94 so you'll get used to switching between the physics on the fly anyways.

You need to cut the amount of leagues and players down in classic.....wayyy to many.

Last season in classic was nice with many players, I also liked that the A tier players had to use a weaker team to compensate and it made the league really fun.

Depch, I agree with you on the fact that there should be set schedules for every league. Unfortunately, what Kingraph says is true. GDL and Blitz are probably the 2 most popular leagues that are run and they start up whenever everyone wants them to. This affects participation in other leagues, as was seen when Blitz and TDL were running the same time as Fall Classic. Last year's Spring Classic was cancelled because of GDL, Blitz and TDL running at the same time. It's unfortunate because Classic is the league that brings in more new coaches than any of the other leagues, and when we have to cancel it, it affects the growth of the community.

Depch, I agree with you on the fact that there should be set schedules for every league. Unfortunately, what Kingraph says is true. GDL and Blitz are probably the 2 most popular leagues that are run and they start up whenever everyone wants them to. This affects participation in other leagues, as was seen when Blitz and TDL were running the same time as Fall Classic. Last year's Spring Classic was cancelled because of GDL, Blitz and TDL running at the same time. It's unfortunate because Classic is the league that brings in more new coaches than any of the other leagues, and when we have to cancel it, it affects the growth of the community.

For this reason alone I think at least Classic should be set to certain dates (fall: first 3 weeks of september signup, last week for team draft and spring: first 3 weeks of february signups, last week team draft or something along the lines, could be october in the fall or whatever, just made as an example) . It's the league that should be running when all of us are in graves, it is the default rosters, the one all of us and the future generations will know! (Ok, that got a bit too far, but you guys got the point)

For other leagues maybe it's better to keep their flexibility in scheduling those.

Edited by Depch

I like classic on set schedule & think it should never be cancelled.

Even if only 6-8 coaches of old join, you'd still have all the new blood coming in.

I'm not sure how much work goes into setting up the site for these things though so I might be speaking for other peoples labor.

Blitz & Gdl depleting it for a spring or fall session is not a great thing, but it wouldn't be a bad thing.

Classic is hardly the bragging rights for championships. Just warn guys about dnps and being banned from future classic leagues type thing.

Keeps guys who can't/won't do blitz/Gdl & classic from signing up.

If you are worried about classic leagues having a low participation you could always just have it be like and NCAA style tournament as a change of pace. Maybe have a 20 game regular season and a playoff where everyone makes it. Playoff can be best of 3 depending on the size of the leagues.

Yea, even if it's 1 Snes and 1 Gens league with a 20 game schedule we should try to keep the seasons going for sure. If there's anything I can do to help, let me know.

I don't see why there couldnt be a spring Gens Classic, I know Blitz, is about to begin draft, and GDL is just starting to play, but starting a spring classic in late March, early April start date should be fine, GDL should only have some playoff teams left, and Blitz will be on going, but for Classic B I know there is about 6 coaches not even in Blitz, and probably 10 more that will have games completed, and may, or may not have playoff series to play. Most Classic A guys are always around, and should be able to fill enough spots for both an A, and a B IMO.

I am new here so maybe I am wrong, but I am just going off of the new crop off players that have joined, and how active they have been, and like I said some of them are not even in Blitz, or GDL as both waiting lists are at least 5 deep if not more.

Classic is the league that brings in more new coaches than any of the other leagues, and when we have to cancel it, it affects the growth of the community.

Sometimes its the league that brings in old washed up coaches too. I hope to see classic get off the ground this spring since its the only 94 league I currently have interest in.

I'm down to run Classic GENS for Spring (40 game), but will caution guys who are in both GDL and Blitz that 3 leagues may be a lot to take on.

Personally, I've never had a problem finishing league games (I think one time I was in 5-6 leagues) and that's with a full time job, family, etc. The hardest part of any league is scheduling games with opponents with conflicting schedules/time zones, etc. That's about 25% of the time, but all it requires is a little effort to hop on AIM or PM someone. You can usually knock out 75% of your league games in a week if you were motivated.

The worst is people who go completely MIA or who become "too busy" to play their games and respond after 2-3 weeks. That absolutely brings momentum to a grinding halt. And again, that has no correlation to other leagues.

So in a nutshell, given Blitz/GDL may be going on at the same time, I'll scrutinize anyone who is in both leagues that doesn't already have a good track record for being active.

I think it's worth having a classic season even if it is restricted to just new players playing in a small league. It's too important to get people involved before they lose interest. People just need to think about what they're committing to when they sign up for leagues, more than anything else. If you're playing in all of the "big 4" gens leagues (classic, GDL, tdl, blitz), that's nearly 200 games in a span of maybe 6 months? Figure it takes 10 minutes per game, 2000 minutes, or 33.3(repeating) hours, which is almost a day and a half's worth of playing time. And this isn't counting playoffs. This isn't counting drafting. This isn't counting the time spent keeping up with things through aim and/or the forums.

you better have some consistent availability if you do that. I'm saying this because I've done this before. Need to really put in perspective how much of a time commitment you're making, too many people sign up for these leagues and think signing into aim for half an hour once every 2 weeks is enough of an effort to make.

Edited by PRoBob38

I think it's worth having a classic season even if it is restricted to just new players playing in a small league. It's too important to get people involved before they lose interest. People just need to think about what they're committing to when they sign up for leagues, more than anything else. If you're playing in all of the "big 4" gens leagues (classic, GDL, tdl, blitz), that's nearly 200 games in a span of maybe 6 months? Figure it takes 10 minutes per game, 2000 minutes, or 33.3(repeating) hours, which is almost a day and a half's worth of playing time. And this isn't counting playoffs. This isn't counting drafting. This isn't counting the time spent keeping up with things through aim and/or the forums.

you better have some consistent availability if you do that. I'm saying this because I've done this before. Need to really put in perspective how much of a time commitment you're making, too many people sign up for these leagues and think signing into aim for half an hour once every 2 weeks is enough of an effort to make.

well said Mr.Bob

Classic is the league that brings in more new coaches than any of the other leagues, and when we have to cancel it, it affects the growth of the community.

THIS... this is why having classic twice a year should always be a top priority

Edited by Wittgenstein

Should we have an old timer division? Angryjay, Habs, Wallywojo, shoot I'd consider playing Spring Classic (queue Halifax's jaw dropping).

Should we have an old timer division? Angryjay, Habs, Wallywojo, shoot I'd consider playing Spring Classic (queue Halifax's jaw dropping).

yessssss!

Another vote for spring classic, give us SNESers something to do or everyone's gonna go find something better to do.

(Myself excluded, obviously.)

Need to get Dynasty running again at some point too!