NHL'94 Forums

Overdue Thoughts on the Weight Bug Fix

Scribe99

I grew up playing equal parts SNES and Genesis. After recently getting a much overdue chance to play a decent number of games using the weight bug fix rom, I think that the fix adds so much to the game that it really should become the standard. To me, it brings the best of both versions together.

Using a heavier, slower guy and shrugging off checkers feels so much more natural than using lightweights. Stars like Lindros, Muller, Lemeiux, become what they should have been. Heavy teams like Washington and New Jersey become much more formidable.The weight bug fix just adds a balance to the game on multiple levels. One that is otherwise missing.

The CB check does even things up on defense. Where I see the big benefit is on offense, with heavyweights being able to shrug off contact as they should.

I agree there is room for variety, but I'd like to see leagues like classic and GDL use the fix.

I guess what I'm saying is this: The weight bug fix is the way the game was meant to be played.

the CB check Raph mentions is the ability to have a fatty check a bugger in classic. You pump C then hit B immediately and it essentially reverses the weight bug.I essentially makes anyone checkable by anyone without just the B chk.

But ya, in Blitz we typically use all of the 'fixes' so that weight bug, 2nd assist, CB check, and tohers are all included. Kind of what should've been rolled out back in 1993.

The CB check does even things up on defense. Where I see the big benefit is on offense, with heavyweights being able to shrug off contact as they should.

I agree there is room for variety, but I'd like to see leagues like classic and GDL use the fix.

I guess what I'm saying is this: The weight bug fix is the way the game was meant to be played.

How does this let the heavyweights shrug off people? Aren't they just as easy to knock down when they have the puck as before?

How does this let the heavyweights shrug off people? Aren't they just as easy to knock down when they have the puck as before?

it doesn't he was referring to the WBF even tho it was in response to Raphs CB post.

ive been playing offline season with my buddies using the WBFClassic ROM and agree that it just feels right. I wonder how many choose classic because they like the weight bug or because its the most accessible season on the site for veteran and new coaches?

WBF slows the game down, and upsets the balance of perfect 94 lol. WBF classic makes no sense, it's 'classic', meaning original. GDL is perfect, you shouldn't want to ruin it with fake mods. Blitz exists for this reason, for people who feel the need to C check.

I feel like so many people forget, that everyone can check everyone, in weight bug or fix. It's called B check. With this you don't throw yourself out of position, you don't need to depend on weight differences, and a large amount of the time you end up with the puck after a successful B check. 3 huge pros.

Yeah you can say that fatties can't shake C checks, but that's okay. Use this to your advantage by realizing that your opponent's mouth is most likely watering when you have the puck with a fatty, and bait out their whiffed C check.

Raph unless you've changed, I feel like if you ditched the C check love your game would improve instantly. I feel the same way about Carse. Feel free to tell me I'm wrong though :)

Raph unless you've changed, I feel like if you ditched the C check love your game would improve instantly. I feel the same way about Carse. Feel free to tell me I'm wrong though :)

lol, TK, we haven't played in years. Having said that, there is no reason to limit yourself to one check or the other. B-checks are great, but you have to be lined up with an attacker coming at you. C-checks are great when chasing someone from behind, or clobbering on the side. So use both.

I don't understand why you (and your clone Plabax) get so upset when people want to C-check. Both have their uses.

Yeah we haven't, idk what you're like these days.

Hahaha, plabax just listens to whatever I say, that's all. Nah but I feel like the only time you should use C checks is when they're touching the boards, or just to bump them out of position when you don't have time to get in position for a B check. You can clobber someone from the side with a B C check too.

Hmm, I just love 94 theory (and hate blitz love hahaha), so I feel obligated to post whenever people post things that I feel completely opposite about. I feel like it's great to have differing theories on playing correctly. I just truly feel like C check is crap city, and I feel like it's my duty to convince the world that B check is life. I want people to have more fun with this game, and fixing up (imo) bad habits makes you win more and have more fun.

But to each his own, play whatever and however you want, I'm not judging anyone I just wanna show how I feel

Hey, Tom. The point I'm making is that classic - the way the developers intended it - should be with the weight bug removed. Playing a WBF rom, and having played a lot of SNES in the past, it's obvious to me that developers intended weight to matter (and botched it).

This comes from someone who almost exclusively uses the b-check - but I agree with Kingraph that each type of check has a situational use.

I also understand what you are saying about the CB check - everyone can check everyone. Yet, if you remove the weight bug, in theory the CB check wouldn't allow lightweights to take down heavyweights because the CB check works better when you are heavier, not lighter.

Ooooops I meant to say you can clobber someone from the side with a *B check not 'B C' like I said. CB check is lameeee like C, all you need is B

Hmm scribe, you don't feel like weight fixed Roms feel funny? For some reason to me they feel off. Blitz roms feel especially crazy. Something about the physics

Yeah you have a point about developers intentions. I just love the beautiful imperfections of OG 94. Like, having light stars is more fun to me. But yeah everyone is different.

Glad to hear you are an almost exclusively B checker :D

Why don't you play in leagues man? Maybe you do and I'm just oblivious

Edited by TomKabs93

Haha, it's been a while but I'm getting back into now. I'm enjoying the discussion. I can totally understand people feeling loyal to the cartridge. Just wanted to share my experience based on playing both SNES and Genesis systems a lot. I always preferred Genesis for the user records, better slapshots and smoothness -- so removing the weight bug really just makes it even better.

To me the game feels and plays great with weight. I love that it allows me to go back and enjoy using all of my old heavy (SNES) go-tos like Janssens, Ridley, Lindros... d-men like Blake, Hatcher, and Smith. My friend's favorite team on SNES was always NJ, and they're a lot tougher with no weight bug. Richer becomes a real force. The way I see it is the light guys already have the advantage of quickness and acceleration, so the weight fix just adds more balance and nuance.

Edited by Scribe99

The way I see it is the light guys already have the advantage of quickness and acceleration, so the weight fix just adds more balance and nuance.

this is why i say it feels right. I like hockey in general and the light fast guys already have that advantage so the bigger slow guys should be a counter.