NHL'94 Forums

Dislodging the net

Scribe99

A favorite past time of mine after scoring a goal. Who's got a strategy?

I've got mine. From behind the net, simultaneously press diagonal with the d-pad and C in an aggressive fashion while aiming to just barely catch a rear corner of the net. If you time it and angle it just right you've got a loose net.

It seems easier to dislodge the net on the SNES. I think my personal best on SNES after scoring a goal is knocking the net back and forth 3 times before the next face off. For some reason the SNES net seems more easily dislodged by head-on and side collisions.

Not sure if weight is a factor or not.

how about if it's "fair" strategy on defense? there's no penalty, but would you get beaten up if you kept doing it while playing somebody in person?

how about if it's "fair" strategy on defense? there's no penalty, but would you get beaten up if you kept doing it while playing somebody in person?

Fenty (Snes Player) would use this tactic constantly, particularly on odd man rushes. I personally found it annoying but I never derided the tactic. I just think its part of the game and like anything else, there are ways to exploit it.

Fenty (Snes Player) would use this tactic constantly, particularly on odd man rushes. I personally found it annoying but I never derided the tactic. I just think its part of the game and like anything else, there are ways to exploit it.

Yeah, on SNES dislodging it feels much more automatic. I could see someone using that.

Yeah, talk to bingo bango fenty fango, it's one of his signature moves in snes.

There's no one better at it than Fenty is. His timing is perfect.

Usally happens by accident with me :excl: The best is when a scoring chance is halted then I score from the breakaway!! It happens a lot less now that ive imnproved more coincidently & never in league games! Only seems to upset one person I play & another used to quit.

As an expert in gaming morals and ethics AND as the current reigning SNES B League Champion, I feel more than qualified to speak with authority on this topic.

Intentionally knocking the net off the moorings to stop your opponent who has the puck is a ghetto-b***h move. That is professional academia jargon.

This game is loosely based on ice hockey in the real world, We, as intelligent and self-aware gamers, can choose to make this simulation better or choose to make it worse by the way we play the game. Just because you know an overt penalty will not be called on one of your 'moves' does not mean you should introduce it into the game as a key component of your defensive strategy. This leads to the age old argument of the 'letter of the law' versus the 'spirit of the law.' It is my professional opinion that the creators of this game did not intend for 'dislodging the net' to be used as a substitute for actually playing defense, and it was only the limitations of the 16 bit gaming code that allowed for this obvious non-called penalty to become the exploitable oversight that it currently is.

Therefore, ladies and gentlemen, I ask that you all look deep into your hearts and make the right Choice! Choose to refrain from dislodging the net as a defensive strategy. Play the game the way the Creators intended for it to be played. And lose with honor.

Therefore, ladies and gentlemen, I ask that you all look deep into your hearts and make the right Choice! Choose to refrain from dislodging the net as a defensive strategy. Play the game the way the Creators intended for it to be played. And lose with honor.

Agreed, unless you are fenty, who was born to live by no rules but his own.

Free winds and no tyranny for you, fenty...

Edited by Wittgenstein

it's a good point about the stand-back-up button; if pushing the net off is no-go....

so many things become "not the way it was intended" and therefore cheap and/or cheating. "you are only intended to do this move. hey! you can't do that move!"

whaa.

it's a good point about the stand-back-up button; if pushing the net off is no-go....

so many things become "not the way it was intended" and therefore cheap and/or cheating. "you are only intended to do this move. hey! you can't do that move!"

whaa.

Exactly tru. Glad to see a time when we meet eye to eye B)

it's one of the great things about this game... there's so much you can do to anger the Hokkeefans that don't know/like your action. timing pauses to disrupt is the only real cheap/cheating move I can come up with right now. anybody got any others? say "pass shot," I dare you.

it's one of the great things about this game... there's so much you can do to anger the Hokkeefans that don't know/like your action. timing pauses to disrupt is the only real cheap/cheating move I can come up with right now. anybody got any others? say "pass shot," I dare you.

Removing your goalie during a face off to push their guys out of position comes to mind. Also the trick where you take your goalie out to avoid a penalty shot is a beyond ghetto-b***h move.

• Like 1

Using the hook button to stand up after being knocked down to the ice (by most likely an uncalled high-stick!) is not an exploit that gives a player a 'competitive advantage' or 'disrupts the flow of the game.' Therefore, in my most humble and professional opinion, this tactic should be considered both moral and ethical and encouraged for use in all league games by all players, except for Fenty.

Now that the use of the hook button debate has been settled, you are all welcome.

goalie disruption of faceoff = cool

goalie disruption of penalty shot = not cool

stand-back-up button use = cool

pausing for disruption of play = not cool

pass shot = cool

throwing your controller and glitching the system/game = not cool

• 2 months later...

Regaerding the original post.. my strat is to hammer the s**t out of nearby players, especialy against the barrier, then the net if a player isnt nearby, think ive hit about 6 after the goal has been scored, regarding dislodging the net, ive done at least 4, I think 5 or 6 is possible with 2 player. its also possible to push it upwards and past the glass barrier, mabee a good shove and it will go for hotdogs and glitch the game taking goalie off after penalty shot been called to avoid a pen? what a revelation, and the faceoff one i didnt know about either, these actions should be commended! il try these with hazmat later :) A bonus game would be where you calculate every hit after the goals etc and net dislodgements. when 2 players try to see who hits eachother the most after a goal its better than the old fighting system because its not random, add the hits up at the end of a game, 2 points a hit and 1 point for net dislodgment. I would win this easy.

I cried laughing the first time Seth yanked his goalie on me during a game on the faceoff pushing my guys out of the way, primarily because I KNOW he learned that trick the hard way, and only imagined how he must have smashed through his keyboard and desk in that fit of anger when it happened to him. Obviously, in a league game, I might not have felt this way, especially not in a league playoff game.

I always wonder when the net gets dislodged how accidental it was. In SNES, a few guys type out an apology after doing it, but I never would look for one, as it's part of the game. I also never apologize because it's always an accident after my C mashing arse just missed another guy I was trying to blast and I hit the net. This is not a real tactic in Gens though, as it rarely comes off when you are on D, certainly not enough to be a "strategy".

I actually find the pause the game and frantically blast through the menu to stop the music after I score to be the most bush league crap because it really ruins the fun of it, which is why I play, for the fun.

I think you should suffer through the dance when scored on. I know I always do. And skipping out on a penalty shot is also bush, but not so bush I'd get mad. Just a frown of disappointment.

ah, yes....

"momentum" killer versus the still intangible drastic attribute boosts in SNES 'Chel, allowing things like a Roadrunner-speed Bawa....I've always considered it to be fair to make a substitution after being scored on, yet I think it's moderately lame if it's only a delay to kill the crowd factor(s).

so: somebody should type out a form list for onlag players to fill out and share with each other. something like this:

tru - SNES '94, Genesis '92 - all options on - 20min

goalie disruption of faceoff = cool
goalie disruption of penalty shot = not cool
stand-back-up button use = cool
pausing for disruption of play = not cool
pass shot = cool

pausing during active-clock gameplay = not cool

pausing without puck = not cool

pausing without timeout nor substitution to kill momentum = not cool

substitutions during periods = cool

keepaway = cool

mercilessness = cool

trashtalking = cool
throwing your controller and/or glitching the system/game = not cool

Edited by tru

The GENS move is not a substitution, as much as a temper tantrum, where they pop up the menu immediately (in Raph's case, sometimes before the puck is even in the net), and start scrolling up & down, and some times switching goalies, sometimes switching them in & then out before even exiting the menu.

It's not like a strategic move to make an adjustment. It does stop the annoyance of the music you get after a home team goal, which I think is where it started, tbh.

It is just a tantrum, and that's why it tops my announce list.

Gens list is cool/not cool is much shorter, because you can't stand up, dislodge the net much or trash talk, and I'm not sure if BOK knew the breakaway bug to be SNES & Gens, or just one or the other.

KEEP AWAY is definitely on my not cool list though. lol

The GENS move is not a substitution, as much as a temper tantrum, where they pop up the menu immediately (in Raph's case, sometimes before the puck is even in the net), and start scrolling up & down, and some times switching goalies, sometimes switching them in & then out before even exiting the menu.

It's not like a strategic move to make an adjustment. It does stop the annoyance of the music you get after a home team goal, which I think is where it started, tbh.

It is just a tantrum, and that's why it tops my announce list.

Gens list is cool/not cool is much shorter, because you can't stand up, dislodge the net much or trash talk, and I'm not sure if BOK knew the breakaway bug to be SNES & Gens, or just one or the other.

KEEP AWAY is definitely on my not cool list though. lol

I don't take gaming too seriously and rarely lose my cool, but keep away drives me crazy. There are a few guys who will carry the puck back into their zone and hold onto when you get a 2 man advantage and are behind on the scoreboard. The games are too short for this not to be a cheap move.

That being said, I'll admit to scoring a few centre ice pass shots in order to tie a game near the end. This is pretty cheap as well.