NHL'94 Forums

Blitz 02-09 Beefed Goalies Analysis

There was a little controversy over the Blitz 09 ROM and how the beefed goalies were handled. So I wanted to post this to clear things up.

The original Blitz message on goalies was as follows:

Buffed Goalies

The goalies in '94 are disproportionately weak, too. Two are superhuman, then the decline is really steep from there on out.

So, I beefed up the goalies (other than Belfour and Roy) by increasing the Agility rating by 1 and increasing two of their (glove|stick)(left|right) stats by 1. This increased the rating of most goalies by 6 points. I liked the tough goalies in dmitry's first '06 ROM draft league, so I'd like to bring that back. Close games are more fun.

So every goalie gets a +1 agility and +1 on two of their stick/glove ratings, in whatever fashion smozoma wanted. The Blitz spreadsheet is available for everyone to use and has the correct player stats:

http://www.blitz94.com/downloads/blitz_nhl94_players.xls

Here is the change by goalie as compared to Classic, so you can see where the boost is for glove/stick:

Name--------Agl-StR-StL-GvR-GvL

Barrasso----1-0-0-1-1
Beaupre-----1-1-0-0-1
Belfour-----0-0-0-0-0
Berthiaume--1-0-1-1-0
Billington--1-1-1-0-0
Blue--------1-1-0-1-0
Burke-------1-0-1-0-1
Casey-------1-1-0-1-0
Cheveldae---1-1-1-0-0
Essensa-----1-0-1-0-1
Fiset-------1-1-1-0-0
Fitzpatrik--1-0-1-0-1
Fuhr--------1-0-1-1-0
Gosselin----1-0-1-0-1
Hackett-----1-0-1-0-1
Hasek-------1-1-1-0-0
Healy-------1-1-1-0-0
Hebert------1-1-1-0-0
Hextall-----1-0-1-0-1
Hrudey------1-1-0-0-1
Irbe--------1-0-1-0-1
Joseph------1-1-0-1-0
Knickle-----1-0-0-1-1
McLean------1-1-0-0-1
Moog--------1-0-1-1-0
Pietrngelo--1-1-0-1-0
Potvin------1-0-1-1-0
Puppa-------1-1-1-0-0
Racicot-----1-1-0-1-0
Ranford-----1-1-1-0-0
Reese-------1-1-0-0-1
Richter-----1-0-0-1-1
Riendeau----1-0-0-1-1
Roussel-----1-1-1-0-0
Roy---------0-0-0-0-0
Soderstrom--1-0-1-1-0
Stauber-----1-0-1-1-0
Tabaracci---1-1-0-1-0
Terreri-----1-0-0-1-1
Vanbiesbrk--1-1-1-0-0
Vernon------1-0-1-1-0
Wakaluk-----1-1-0-1-0
Whitmore----1-1-1-0-0
Wregget-----1-1-0-0-1
Young-------1-0-1-1-0

Now, I went through the ROMs and there were a few mistakes along the way, one big one (imo) and a few minor ones.

* From season 03 through season 09, Andy Moog was missing the boost (i.e. he was "classic" Moog). Pretty big miss all these seasons, considering he is a popular starting goalie.

* Any season Jeff Hackett has been in, he is also missing the boost.

* In Season 09, Bill Ranford, Robb Stauber, and Dominick Roussel (in addition to Moog and Hackett) were also missing the boost.

I thought the Moog miss would be the most significant. I looked through the history of Moog ownership and here are the results:

BoKnows owned Moog season 03-05. In season 04, Bok took Carse to 6 games in the opening round of the playoffs. In those 6 games, 3 of them were OT, and two were decided by 1 goal!!! That's a bummer!

BoKnows missed the playoffs the other years.

Houly owned Moog seasons 06-07, and actually won season 06 B league! (didn't make playoffs in A next season).

Fitzo owned Moog in season 08 and lost to Chaos in a 6 game thriller. 5 of those games were 1 goal!

Sicarius owned Moog in season 09 and lost to Robbie in a 7 game series. 3 of 4 of Robbie's wins were 1 goal games!

Remember, anytime you are mocking an exi ROM or whatever, use a Blitz ROM to copy/paste, even though it may be hard to find the goalies since the teams are different!

Credit to Lupz as he noticed Ranford was incorrect in last season and promted this look.

Who's got version and quality control around here? Our worst fears recognized!

But seriously I was thinking this the other day as I was copying and pasting players from original rom. All the exi roms floatin around it's bound to happen. Prolly best thing to do is have one final copy created and double check goalie are right, since F's are static.

What I don't understand is why some goalies were boosted in certain areas, and others in different areas of the 4 attributes? Some guys got both stick others got 1 glove 1 stick, wad this just someone's preference? Or just random?

Thanks for catching this guys! It'll be good to have the new and improved Moog in net for me. Also, I'd recommend that everybody looks over their roster as well. It wouldn't surprise me if some of the player stats got messed up along the way as well.